Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 18:14
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%
Unhappy Not Fair!

It just doesn't seem fair, I somehow am knocked out of ketosis! If I did something to earn this privalige than it would be one thing. But...I have been good, and very areful. Tracking my food on fitday and everything.

I am not looking to complain about this, but to understand why and how it happened.

I have track it to yesterday (which means two more days till I get back into ketosis again). My carb count for the day was 29, and I had a fiber count of 7, which means a net count of 22. I am still trying to say between 20 to 25 carbs a day till I get closer to goal.

The percentage totals for the day were 73/22/5 . My dinner was a spaghetti squash meal, which had a total of 13 carbs, and 2 fiber. I have eaten this many times before with no problem. So my main question is.....Is it possible to get knock out of ketosis for eating a mealer larger in carbs? Even though you are still in your carb count for the day?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 18:15

Plan: Atkins/CAD/Now?
Stats: 216/210.5/110?? Female 5 feet 0 inches
BF:
Progress: 25%

How do you know you are out of ketosis? Strips? If so you can't rely on those strips exclusively. Mine barely changed and then only when my water was low... I quit using them. I still lost weight. I'm not sure what else it could be!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 19:12
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Unhappy

Stacy,

I know I am out of ketosis because of the strips.. I know they are not the last word. I never pay to much attention as to what color they test me at. Going on the lead that once you are in ketosis you are in ketosis. But they have been at the least telling me that I am or not (I cheated once a couple of weeks ago and knocked myself out as a test) burning fat.

I am just trying to see where I have gone wrong, also I did have a carb solotion candy bar, but I think it was the day before I knocked out, so I don't think it was a player. Also I have been drinking the Atkins, ready made, shakes. Could this to be a factor? I know they can cause people to stall, but can they kick you out of ketosis?
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 19:15

Plan: Atkins Diet
Stats: 179/134/135
BF:
Progress: 102%

If you're saying you're not in ketosis because of the strips, I'm assuming this is the case, then if it's getting to be TOM that could be it. As said before the strips are just a tool & not always accurate, so please don't put too much stock in what they say. When you take the test may also impact the results. I've been losing when they register nothing, & haven't lost when they said I was in ketosis, so... Good luck.
God Bless,
Amy-Lynne
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 19:20

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

First of all, I agree with what everyone else said about the strips. Have you retested with additional strips? I find that sometimes one or two are defective.

Quote:
Originally posted by MaryToU
I am just trying to see where I have gone wrong, also I did have a carb solotion candy bar, but I think it was the day before I knocked out, so I don't think it was a player.

Actually, it takes a day or so for the lack of ketosis to register... it's possible that your body has insulin reactions from sugar alcohols.

In any event, play it clean and you should be back to fat-burning in no time!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 06:18
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Actually, it takes a day or so for the lack of ketosis to register... it's possible that your body has insulin reactions from sugar alcohols.

If I get to pick and choose this sound like the mostlikely reason for my situation. Since the carb solutions candy bar is the only new item added into my diet, even though it was only one.

Nothing to do now but redo induction AGAIN and after a month or so I will retry the bar, just to see if this is indeed the problem.

Thanks to everyone for the help.!

Support is always great!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 07:21
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Glycemic Load
Stats: 232.8/227.6/145 Female 5'5"
BF:49%
Progress: 6%

How often do you test? I can be purple at 10:00, nothing at 12:00 and purple again by 4:30. I've discovered the time of day I'm likely to be purple and that's the only time I test now. In the beginning I obsessed over them. Now, I just view them as another tool - like the scale(which also doesn't always tell the whole story)
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-03, 23:47

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%
Default I have never worried about ketosis

I don't know if I have ever been in ketosis. I don't use the strips or anything. When Dr. Atkins was on the Larry King Show, he said that you do not have to be in ketosis. I have not been exercisin' ( I'll do that when school is out, I guess ) could that be why I have not been through it?

Just wunderin'
Black57
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Apr-19-03, 04:47
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Retested the strips last night, and back into ketosis again. That would bring it 3 days from eating that darn Carb Solution candy bar. Which was the only thing new I had added to me diet. Ture it said 0 net carbs, but I noticed that it had at least 2 net carbs not accounted for. So I count'ed it as two.

This still had me under the carb count of 20 for the day. I can handle the Atkin's chocolate bars, and also the carbolite bars, it just seem the carb solution bars that kick me out of ketosis.

Well, you live, you learn. If I have to have a candy treat, stick to the carbolite, and it laxative affects. A two for one shot with that one.