Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 08:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/230/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 37%
Default How low is too low?

I changed my profile on Fitday to a different lifestyle.

I have more stamina, and when I used to do no housework, or sit while I struggled to do what little I could, I now stand, walk, and do housework for hours. I work in the yard, raking, gardening, weeding, things I could only sit and look wistfully out the window and wish I could do. I am taking my life back, and it is happening *much* faster than I had imagined it could! I even have leftover energy to restart my arts and crafts, and am going to restart playing my musical instruments.

After literally years (about two) of being unable to properly care for my home environment and yard, I have gotten back to almost the level of health I had been before. Closets are getting cleaned, rooms are being emptied, dusted, walls washed, carpets steam cleaned, drawers emptied and sorted, all the things I used to do with little to no thought are returning to me. Less than 4 months to almost completely regain a lifestyle I lost over two years ago! My WOL is changing in more than just my diet.

I used to have atrial fibrillation/flutter, and it made any strenuous activity nearly impossible. My heart would race, pound hard in my chest, and skip beats noticeably. It's gone. After 10+ years it's gone. I had a new EKG and everything is normal! I was having chest pain at work, and was very worried. Turns out it was probably a combination of muscular pain from strenuous yard work and a little heartburn. Yes, normal sinus rhythm! After 10+ years... normal sinus rhythm... The deep joy I felt over this is unexplainable. I never knew this was regainable.

It was an awesome moment, indeed, changing the baseline profile.

Now to my question. BP was a huge concern to me, I was nearing the point I was about to have to start BP meds. I was consistantly, steadily creeping towards the high 180's/high 80's to 90's.

When I had the EKG, I also had my BP done twice. Once with a machine and once manually. The machine reading was 118/74, and the manual reading was 100/72. My heart rate regularly stays about 60, sometimes, a little lower, what is known as bradycardia, and I have some orthostatic hypotension again. I used to relate that to hypoglycemia, but now I know it is a BP problem. It is somewhat unsettling after ridding myself of the hypoglycemia, to stand and nearly faint from low BP.

I haven't been eating properly, I know this, but I can't seem to get past the idea that if you are not hungry, you shouldn't eat. In fact, I have had almost *no* appetite of late. I think the housework is quelling my appetite somewhat, and with how I am keeping busy, I simply *forget* to eat! Food is now the last, instead of the first thing I think about! I know the 6 hour rule, but somethimes when I start housework and such, 5 or more hours have passed before taking a break even enters my mind.

My question is, how low a BP is too low? What about resting heart rates? When should I become concerned? These tests were not performed by my doctor, who still has no knowledge of my diet or WOL. In fact, I weigh less now than I did at my last visit almost 3 years ago, but he never saw me at my peak weight, so he wouldn't be aware of the loss or BP problems to start with.

I still consume caffiene, and find it a bit worrisome that my readings will probably be even lower if I were to stop.

Any comments welcomed.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-03, 14:16

Plan: Schwarzbein II, BA, IS
Stats: 125.4/119.2/115 Female 5'1" small frame
BF:33% /??? / 20%?
Progress: 60%

Sounds like you alredy know that getting enough calories is the first thing you should worry about since BP is in the normal range, albeit low normal. Cutting back on caffeine may help to increase appetite.

How many calories are you eating per day? Are you using fitday.com? You "should" (I hate saying should!) be eating at least 10 - 12 times your weight.
ANy idea how close you're coming to this goal?

JInx
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-03, 15:23
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
how low a BP is too low? What about resting heart rates? When should I become concerned?

Resting heart rate and blood pressure are only too low if you are symptomatic. That is feeling faint and unwell all the time.

100/70 is fine for a BP reading.

If you feel faint when standing suddenly, try to get into the habit of always standing slowly.

I can't help thinking though, that your earlier suspicion of hypoglycaemia may have something to do with it. Skipping meals can definitely lead to hypoglycaemia, which can exhibit itself by a feeling of faintness.

Eating regular low carb meals with sufficient calories (yes, 10 to 12 times your current weight) will not lower blood pressure to unsafe levels. Low carbing will lower high BP, but it will not lower pulse or BP to unsafe levels.

If you are still worried, please do go back and check with your doctor.

Rosebud