Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-11-03, 20:39
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 163/156/120 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 16%
Default Keto Stick Issue

Ok..I cheated. I took my son to the circus and had a piece of fried dough with powdered sugar. Bad, I know.
Tested myself...keto stick still purple.
This was last night.
Ate normally today. I am still doing 20 carbs a day.
For dinner I had some chicken fingers and french fries. Bad I know..anyways.

Keto stick still purple 6 hours later.

So I am still in Ketosis, but how if I ate all these carbs. I don't understand.

Could my carb tolerance be high or something?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-11-03, 20:48
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi there Secret,

Ketones can be excreted if you have eaten a fatty meal, are dehydrated, are not eating enough (starving yourself) or if you have drunk alcohol. They can also give a negative result, despite your being in ketosis, if you are drinking lots and lots of water.

Can you tell I think ketostix are a waste of time and money?

I worry more about weight loss than changing the colour of a piece of plastic. They can be a useful tool for some, but it's worth being aware of their inconsistencies.

All the best.

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-11-03, 20:51
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for the info.

I'm going to use the for a while though considering they came 100 in a box, lol.

I think I am just looking for something to justify my cheating.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-11-03, 20:54

Plan: Atkins Diet
Stats: 179/134/135
BF:
Progress: 102%

Rosebud is right, she beat me to it. If you're using them as a way to justify cheating by saying they're still purple, then don't be surprised if the scale retaliates & says you're gaining. Sorry, but now you know. Good luck getting back on track.
God Bless,
Amy-Lynne
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-11-03, 21:51
Registered Member

Stats: 293/293/175 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Secret,

I use the stix and find them to be a great motivational tool...when they're pink or purple it makes me stick to the WOE even more. I'm not too concerned about whether they can be inconsistent or not 'cause they work for me but I guess this can be said for a lot of aspects of this WOE...to each his own.

Also, a little tip. I know the stix are expensive so I read somewhere that you can cut them in half lengthways...now you've got twice as many and it's not difficult to do.

Suzan
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-13-03, 12:30
Registered Member

BF:

The strips I have bought are 100 for $9.99 and you can't cut them because they have a tip on one end that the urine goes on.

I wish I could cut them.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Apr-13-03, 13:05

Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%

Actually, according to the Atkins Center, Rosebud is not correct. They say that the sticks are not affected by drinking too much water or dehydration at least. I don't know about the alcohol or fatty foods as I don't believe that was addressed.

I don't know who is right, but I haven't seen any source for backing up the effects of too much water or dehydration (would like to though...this has been passed along all over the web by word of mouth without an apparent solid source)...I've only seen what the Atkins Center said that the sticks are not affected in any way by this.

Anyway...If anyone wants to see these Q & A's I can try to get the link and post it.

That being said...I don't know why you weren't kicked out of ketosis. I wouldn't want to keep pushing the envelope myself...lol.

After almost two weeks of induction, my hubby finally peed on a stick today. It didn't change Now he is going to HAVE to read at least the induction chapter because I believe he is getting too many carbs. I think he's eating way to many veggies. At any rate....I guess its back to square one for hubby. I know others say not to worry about the results...but I believe if the stick isn't changing there is a reason.

L
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Apr-13-03, 13:47
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
I don't know who is right, but I haven't seen any source for backing up the effects of too much water or dehydration

It's from personal experimentation. We also have a few nurses on board who have had plenty of experience with dipping Ketostix in the urine of dehydrated patients, Rosebud being among them.

Karen
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Apr-13-03, 14:16

Plan: atkins
Stats: 154/146/125 Female 5'4
BF:??
Progress: 28%

i use them as general motivation but am aware that what the scale and the fit of my clothing tells me is a better gauge!
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Apr-13-03, 14:19

Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%

Karen, I understand that, but I would just like some type of scientific backup to this...yanno? I am most certainly not saying I know the answer, because I haven't a clue...just know what the Atkins Center said about it and I only saw that because someone posted questions and answers on another board and that was one of the questions.

That being said...IS there anything to back this up other than personal experience? I would love to see something solid. Whenever the environment isn't controlled, there are too many things that could come into play...too many variables as to what caused what to happen.

I guess it really doesn't matter and isn't that important as to whom is right.

Laura
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 07:51

Stats: 165/157/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Interesting thread.

I have a question along these lines. Can you ever be in Ketosis according to the strips, (dark pink/light purple) and NOT be burning fat??
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 08:08
Registered Member

Stats: 182/167.5/164
BF:
Progress: 81%

I can promise you the sticks will not work if you dring too much water.

The sticks work much like the budget drug tests work. Drug tests also change color depending on what is in the urine.

If you drink plenty of water, anyone can pass on of those types of drug tests. There is just not enough actual urine in the pee to get a result. They test for this 'washing' of urine by measuring the level of creatine in the urine. If its too low, the test may not count.

The keosticks are very similar.

PS: This may or may not be from personal experience!
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 08:28

Stats: 165/157/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Thank you...and the PS made me laugh :-)

OK, so, you mean that I can be sort of dehydrated, and NOT burning fat, and register purple? (flip side of that)
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 09:03
Registered Member

Stats: 182/167.5/164
BF:
Progress: 81%

I do know you can be DARK purple and not be in Ketosis. Drink some alcohol and check your sticks. WOW, darkest purple you will see.

I too wanted to use the sticks as I love positive reinforcement, but they are just too unreliable.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 10:46

Plan: Aktins
Stats: 225/185/150 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 53%
Thumbs down I'm ditching the stix

Despite the fact that my pee is stinky and I'm losing inches, the sticks are not turning darker than light pink anymore. Never got much past moderate. I do drink lots of water, over 100 oz. daily.

I count my carbs religiously, not going over 20, so I have to be in ketosis, right?