Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-13-03, 11:43
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 268.5/262/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 5%
Default How long to keep clothes

This morning I spent quite a bit of time going through my closet finding out which clothes I've shrunk out of and which things (that I haven't worn in ages) now fit. I've gathered them neatly into boxes to store somewhere else or give away, but it's left me wondering....how long should I keep these too big clothes? How long do other people keep theirs? In the past, I always just put them away somewhere in case I got big again and would need them. This time, that just doesn't seem to make much sense. I know what I have to do to not get big again, so why on earth would I ever need them. For me, though, I just keep thinking "just in case." (ps. I also do this with lots of other things...I'll buy shampoo and then not like it, so I'll put it under the cabinet just in case I change my mind)

I asked my husband how long he though I should keep them. He's a thin man who has NEVER had issues with weight and he thought I should take them to Goodwill today!

How long do the rest of you keep them once you've "outgrown" them?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-13-03, 12:05

Plan: Atkins/fasting
Stats: 263/246/160 Female 67 inches
BF:39.9/29.7/21.9
Progress: 17%

I agree with your husband. Take them to Goodwill!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-13-03, 12:11
Registered Member

Plan: not one specific plan
Stats: 190/182/135
BF:
Progress: 15%

I also agree - take them to goodwill!!! You won't need them again to fall back on - you will suceed this time!!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-13-03, 12:15

Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

I agree, take the to Goodwill or the like. Just think - you won't have any more of "those size" clothes in the house anymore - onward and downward!

PS: I've kept only one shirt and one pair of pants. Every once in a while I am in a stall or feeling down - I try them on, it reminds me how far I have come and how well this way of eating works.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-13-03, 12:22

Plan: The Zone-as much as I can
Stats: 231/165/175 Female 5ft9in
BF:?,33+/24.2/22
Progress: 118%

I guess that depends on what your personal plans are. I lost 30 pounds and cleaned out my closet. I put all of the stuff away in the garage. Then I got pregnant. I am able to use some of my larger sizes now. After baby arrives in June, I will wear some of these clothes until I feel comfortable in my smaller sizes.

I am kind of a pack rat. If there is any chance of using something (myself or someone else) again, I save it. I saved all of the clothes for my girls and it is a good thing I did. This will make girl number three! I have at least a thousand dollars worth of clothes that I don't have to rebuy. I am using maternity clothes from my first pregnancy six years ago. I also saved a lot of my "skinny" clothes in hopes that I could wear them again. I dig out the really out of style stuff and keep the basics. I have some silk blouses that are ten years old that I hope to wear after the babyfat is gone.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-13-03, 12:41
Registered Member

Plan: Glucose Revolution
Stats: 325/297.5/200 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 22%

What about passing them on to someone who is also losing weight? I plan to do this as soon as I drop another size...

I don't know what size clothes they are.. but I'm sure there are people here who are approaching that size and will need something to carry them over to the next level

Just a thought..
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Apr-13-03, 13:03
Registered Member

BF:

I had been thinking of holding on to them a little while because we are trying to get pregnant and I thought maybe I could use them if that happens. But since we've been tring for over a year now with no luck, it does seem a little silly to keep them around when I have no clue when I'll get pg or how much I'll weigh when I do. Also, it would be kind of nice to wear actual maternity clothes instead of old fat clothes.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Apr-13-03, 13:31
Registered Member

Plan: The Zone
Stats: 207/200/180 Male 170 centimeters
BF:
Progress: 26%

Get rid of them now! I have given and thrown away my old big clothes. Actually, I had smaller ones in the attics kept from what I thought was my "thin period of life". Those clothes fit perfectly now, and I will never wear bigger again! If you get pregnant - enjoy the fun of go shopping real maternity clothes instead! Not having bigger clothes left is also a big motivation for not gaining weight!
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Apr-13-03, 13:47
Registered Member

Plan: primarily Atkins
Stats: 180/137/138 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

Get rid of them. Don't allow yourself to slip back to them. If the ones you have now get tight, that's an indication to do someting. Don't give yourself an easy out by finding something bigger in the closet. Last month I got rid of clothes that I was wearing in the fall. I WILL NOT ALLOW MYSELF TO EVER GO BACK AGAIN! --as you see, I've had to beat this into my own head.

Judy
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Apr-13-03, 13:52
Urban Jungle Denizen

Stats: 180/165/150 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 50%

I went from a size 16 to a size 10... and GLADLY threw out all my big clothes. I felt that holding onto them was a way of saying I didn't have faith in what I was doing.

But to be realistic, I kept my size 12s, and good thing I did, cuz I'm back in them...

But just for a little while longer
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Apr-13-03, 17:22
Run Spot, run!

Stats: 168/151/150 Female 67 inches
BF:32%/27ish%/21-25%
Progress: 94%
Default To me, it depends on quality

I have an entire wardrobe of fairly expensive, good professional pieces that will certainly stand up to tailoring. Therefore, I am not tossing any wool staples of my winter wardrobe (skirts, etc.) and this year when picking things up on clearance I bought smaller sized sweaters, etc.

Of course, that being said, I never want to wear them again before they visit the tailors! I had to put them back on during a cold snap after a few weeks of wearing a new smaller size and it was really depressing - even if they were hanging off me!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 04:13

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

This is me crying for you --- what a terrible dilemma you have!! You shouldn't have to make such horrible decisions on your own. It's great that you have us to come to in your time of need!
(in case you can't tell, my tongue is firmly in my cheek )

I agree that you should give them away. I really like the idea of keeping a set of clothes, tho, to try on later and marvel at how far you've come. When you get pregnant and need maternity clothes you're going to want to look great and you're big clothes will be out of style. Also, maternity clothes are special--not big all over but just where you need it so they look and fit much better than larger regular clothes!

Glad you have this problem!

Nicole
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 08:01
Registered Member

BF:

LOL Nicole! I'm glad I have this problem too. I cleaned out the entire closet yesterday...even found shoes that I don't wear because my feet have lost weight! Such a great feeling. I've got the bags ready to go out to Goodwill and I can't wait til I have this "problem" again. LOL
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 11:01

Plan: Atkins-->PP
Stats: 250/211.0/170 Female 5'5"
BF: size 26/22/12
Progress: 49%

there is a spot on this foreum where i have seen people asking for certain sizes, and also offering up their too big clothes. you can check that out. trading post

by the way, what sizes are you throwing away, i am looking for a couple of pants to hold me till the next size. i don't want to go shopping for a size that i know i will grow out of in a few months.

Last edited by acipenser : Mon, Apr-14-03 at 11:03.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 14:02

Stats: 161/146/135
BF:00/35%/24%
Progress: 58%
Post My 2 cents!

Get rid of them! I agree with MKM, when you get pregnant,
BUY NEW CUTE Maternity clothes

BTW my cousin was trying to get pregnant for 3 years, and we just found out (2 weeks ago) that she finally is!

Your time will come