Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-12-03, 21:45

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 360/313.6/150 Female 66.5"
BF:yes, of course
Progress: 22%
Default low carb garden

I love gardening in the summer, and this is my first year doing it while following the low carb WOE. Are there any necessities in a low carb garden? I'm going to try making my own low carb tomato sauce this summer. I think I read that roma tomatoes are the best for making sauce, so I'll plant some of them. I'm also going to plant a lot of herbs this year (e.g. basil, rosemary, parsley, dill). Besides these things I'm going to plant eggplant, lettuce, spinach, green beans, and zucchini. Can't think of anything else. I've never really tried anything "exotic" in my garden. Anyone have suggestions as to what other low carb veggies I could try?

BTW, I live in zone 7.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-13-03, 14:27

Plan: atkins
Stats: 154/146/125 Female 5'4
BF:??
Progress: 28%

oh sounds wonderful! i miss my garden. sigh.

how about some yellow squash? i love those! they are not bad at all carb wise and taste wonderful grilled! just a bit of oil & garlic salt on them and grill those puppies.

and eggplants are great. i sautee them and substitute them for pasta in italian dishes.

p.s. watch the herbs - they leak everywhere. if you really want to tee off your neighbors, plant some oregano near their property line! bwwwaaahaaahaaaa! but smells wonderful when you mow the grass...

my mother makes her own tea with her home-grown herbs.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-13-03, 16:00
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Cool Hi!

Oh I envy you! I used to have a garden every year but since moving to the city I haven't. Jalepeno peppers was a favorite of mine as well as asparagus. Could you start a journal? I would love to read about your gardening experience.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 10:03
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/155/120
BF:????
Progress: 46%

After paying $10 for a spagetti squash from the grocery store I saved some seeds and have them started in my front window. I also have a bunch of cucumber plants started and plan on making lots of pickles!! I am also a first time low-carb gardener so my potato patch has shrunk lots this year, it would be totally replaced if it weren't for the DH and the kids! Keep us posted on any new ideas!!!!
Thanx, Nic
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 12:45

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 360/313.6/150 Female 66.5"
BF:yes, of course
Progress: 22%
Default Re: Hi!

Quote:
Originally posted by Lessara

Oh I envy you! I used to have a garden every year but since moving to the city I haven't. Jalepeno peppers was a favorite of mine as well as asparagus. Could you start a journal? I would love to read about your gardening experience.

Oh what a cool idea! I need to get the garden organized this week so I can start planting. April 15th is the first day of our official season around here. Wow, that's tomorrow already! Better get a move on! I'll take pictures when everything is in.

Thanks for the other ideas, too. Yellow squash and spaghetti squash sound cool. I've never had spaghetti squash, and at $10 each I don't think I ever will unless I grow it lol.