Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-11-03, 16:58
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 256/211/165
BF:
Progress: 49%
Default Has Anybody Found That Adding Carbs

Started weight loss again. I'm thinking that maybe I'm not seeing any loss is because I've been doing induction for 18 months...might adding carbs and going on to OWL start the weight loss again?

Gail
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-12-03, 06:50

Stats: 220/188/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 53%

Gail,

I don't think your question is clear. First you said you started weight loss again.
Then you said you haven't seen any loss. Which one is it?

If it's the latter, how long has it been since you have seen any loss?

Amy Mc
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-12-03, 06:53

Plan: atkins
Stats: 260/250/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 10%

I usually eat about 2100 calories a day, after a 3 week stall, I sort of binged (but just on induction food) and ate 3200 one day. Two days later I started losing again and lost 4 lbs this week. Maybe a fluke, but maybe not.......
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Apr-12-03, 07:10
Registered Member

Stats: 256/211/165
BF:
Progress: 49%

Sorry, it should read (if you read the bolded beginning) has anybody found that adding carbs started weight loss again. I've actually been putting on weight. I've put on 7 lbs since I've been here (actually in the past week) though I realize muscle weighs more than fat (I am taking that into account) what I can't understand is why my waist has gone up an inch...does not make sense. I've been keeping a journal and gym log, not sure what I'm doing wrong.

I'm very courious rather anybody has actually gone on to OWL after a long stall (for me it has been since I've been here, and my stall is not just retaining I am gaining). My menus are there, I'm sticking to the diet, I just have no more answers. Maybe my body has just adjusted to Atkins and refuses to allow any more loss.

Gail
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-12-03, 08:35
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

Gail-

I have heard where people started losing again after entering OWL or slightly increasing their carbs. I think it does shake things up and gets your metabolism moving again.

Sometimes what I do is go the lower carb (25-27) for a couple of days and then hit the upper end of my CCL for a couple of days (37-39). I try never to go below 25 and never go higher than 39.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Apr-12-03, 10:34
Registered Member

Plan: atkin's
Stats: 120/115/105
BF:
Progress: 33%

I'm definitely no expert, and I'm relatively new to this WOL. BUT... I experience weight gain during weeks 3 and 4 of induction, plus I was getting bored with the food choices, so I took Dr. A's advice and moved on to OWL. I added higher-carb foods like pumpkin, berries, and extra veggies. This definitely re-started my weight loss. I'm in week 7 and I've lost the weight I gained earlier plus an extra pound. I think 18 months is a long time to be in induction and your body might be getting used to the foods you're eating. The principles that apply to exercise are the same principles that apply to food... if you do the same thing for too long, your body adjusts and you won't see any positive change. You need to 'shock' your system to stimulate weight loss. Good luck.