Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-11-03, 17:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 184/156/160 Female 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 117%
Unhappy diarhhea

OK, it's not fun to discuss, but it seems to keep coming back. Anyone else had this problem while on Atkins? I have these funky soft stools sometimes-so small they can sneak out while I'm urinating-gross!! Any suggestions how to fix?

Thanks much-
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-11-03, 18:16

Plan: MOP
Stats: 169/159/135
BF:45%/42%/ 35%
Progress: 29%

I have the same problem, sometimes worse than others. If it gets too bad I hit the Immodium. It only happens in the morning.
I'm retired so I don't have to worry about leaving my job to rush to the loo but I really do wish it would stop. I have been on this WOE for 6 weeks and I like it so I don't want to stop.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-11-03, 18:18

Stats: 235/195/150
BF:??????????
Progress: 47%
Default possible solution----

I know what you mean, Maltitol, the artificial sweetener does it to me! Usually it is the other way(constipation) but Maltitol really "sets me free" This really cuts back on the sf treats! Just be careful!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-11-03, 18:25

Plan: MOP
Stats: 169/159/135
BF:45%/42%/ 35%
Progress: 29%

No Malitol for me. I don't like most of the low carb "treats" so I don't eat them. It's something else that does it to me. I thought it might be the occasional Diet Pepsi but didn't have any yesterday and had the problem this morning.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-11-03, 18:28
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Psyllium is the answer! Psyllium husks work to soften, yet add bulk to the stool, so they are the magic "cure" for both constipation and diarrhoea. Quite a few members here have found psyllium to be a great help in solving the diarrhoea puzzle.

Thay are available as the husks, or you can get them in capsule form - usually from health food shops. The husks are available (at least here in Oz) from supermarkets, pharmacies as well as health food shops.

To take the husks, you stir 1 tablespoon into a full glass of water. Stir in well, then drink down fast. Not the most pleasant taste in the world but can be made more palatable by adding a squeeze of lemon juice to the water.

Fibre products such as psyllium can impair the absorption of your supplements, so it's best to take the fibre 2 hours before or 1 hour after your supps.

HTH

Rosebud
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-11-03, 18:40

Stats: 184/156/160 Female 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 117%
Talking

Thanks, Rosebud! Does anyone know where to get the capsules in the US? (Loved your reference to Oz)!