Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-11-03, 12:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/250/165
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Need help:(

I began Atkins this past Monday and have dropped 5 pounds. However, today I am having a terrible day and have been thinking all day of breaking off with this. The lack or carbs is starting to drive me nuts. I am horrified to stop because I feel like this may one of my last chances to do anything to help myself. I feel like I have tried other programs and if this one doesnt work, I may just quit altogether. I dont want to do that though because if I dont stop the path Im going down, Im going to spiral out of control. I want to be healthy so I can live long enough to see my wife age beautifully and my kids grow up and have a dad. What can I do to stop these urges?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-11-03, 12:12

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 134/132/127
BF:don't wanna know
Progress: 29%

The fifth day is NOT a good indicator of how it will be. It took me until probably my tenth day, and now, on my twelfth, I really have the feel for it. I find myself postponing meals - which NEVER happened to me before. As a matter of fact, it's two in the afternoon and I still have to go get lunch.

I promise it gets way better. I tried induction once before and lasted three days, thinking, never again. But I somehow have made it this far. I'm thinking that after induction, I will sloooowly move into the Zone (which I did years ago, and it knocked 35 lbs. right off, and stayed off).

The Zone is much easier to commit to sticking with, IMO. (I have been eating semi-Zone ever since and I know that's why I havent' gained it back) I'm liking Atkins, but maybe, if you're considering quitting low-carb, it might be better to find the right low-carb plan for you and not necessarily force yourself to do Atkins.

Last edited by orzabelle : Fri, Apr-11-03 at 12:14.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-11-03, 13:33

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 134/132/127
BF:don't wanna know
Progress: 29%

One more thing... you dropped 5 lbs! Got rid of a sack of sugar! Don't forget to pat yourself on the back.

Have a great weekend.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-11-03, 14:25

Stats: 250/195/112
BF:
Progress: 40%

Hi....I think almost all of us at some point have went through this and some of us continue to have *those* days....My first and foremost recommendation when the carb cravings hit and you feel like it is the end of the world....( ok a little dramatic but not by much)....Go grab your LoCarb food and EAT!!..it is better to go a little overboard on LC than to go with the HC..Forget day by day and go with minute by minute....surf the net..check out recipes in the forum..go for a walk..or if you dont want to do that sometimes just walking outside and taking a deep breathe..take a long hot shower....Focus on that this is a Way of Life..so there is time on YOUR side...ask yourself the hard questions of how you will feel in the morning or even a minute after the fact of giving in..Focus on your wife and children and what this WOL IS and WILL give them and most importantly yourself...Slowly with time as these cravings hit....you will learn to draw upon your strength and control...I wish you the VERY best through this and keep posting!!!.....
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-11-03, 14:31

Plan: CAD with a few modificati
Stats: 193/141/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%

I am sure it is very hard, too, having a wife and children who are not on the plan and are eating all of the foods that you crave. I too have that problem. My husband and I started together on this diet and at first it was great, but he kinda gave up and now because he feels guilty for quitting, when he wants me to give in and eat something bad and I don't, he insults me ( I guess to make himself feel better). I don't typically cave, but there have been occasions where I have. It is very hard with a family who eats whatever they want and you can't. I am pressing on though and you should too. Good luck.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-11-03, 14:41

Stats: 219/205/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 17%
Smile Hello

I just want to tell you we ALL have our bad days! I have cheated on this WOL too many times to count.. I had a couple days of nothing but binge eating! But I did manage to get right back on the wagon and muddle through. I've done this for 4 mos now and have lost 26lbs. Feel free to take a look into my journal and see the pure honesty of my nuttiness! lol For real we all have ups and downs. But you can do this! And hey.. if Atkins is just too much for you to take. Take a look at CAD. I did it for a week and you get to eat one reward meal which can be anything you wish as long as it's eaten within 60min. Check it out you may find it easier to stick with. Either way I'm telling you this.. you have all the power and you run the show. I promise you if you stick with this WOL or another low carb plan you will feel better,look better,and see results! I know I have and I'm the queen of screw up honey! So you pick yourself right up and keep truckin.. because I know you can do it!