Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-14-24, 10:42

Plan: None, limit carbs, Omega6
Stats: 161/140/140 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Mainly protein diet

I watched the film 'Land' last night which follows a woman who moves into a shack in the wilds of Canada (I think).

She was mostly eating deer/rabbit which I believe are very lean, along with a bit of fish, berries and later veg.

Got me wondering if a mainly protein diet (incl. liver) can be healthy.
(To me, it seems more natural/realistic/doable than LCHF).

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-14-24, 11:42

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

From Wikipedia:

"Protein poisoning (also referred to colloquially as rabbit starvation, mal de caribou, or fat starvation) is an acute form of malnutrition caused by a diet deficient in fat and carbohydrates, where almost all bioavailable calories come from the protein in lean meat.[1][2] The concept is discussed in the context of paleoanthropological investigations into the diet of ancient humans, especially during the Last Glacial Maximum and at high latitude regions.[3][4]

The term rabbit starvation originates from the fact that rabbit meat is very low in fat, with almost all of its caloric content from the amino acids digested out of skeletal muscle protein, and therefore is a food which, if consumed exclusively, would cause protein poisoning.[4] The reported symptoms include initial nausea and fatigue, followed by diarrhea and ultimately death.[4]"

The problem isn’t the protein but the lack of fat.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-14-24, 12:25

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

An entire article on the subject follows, but
Quote:
Spoiler alert: Context is key! In our modern world, where calorie-rich foods abound and protein scarcity is rare, especially among folks carrying excess body fat, rabbit starvation or protein poisoning is more likely to be a phantom menace than a genuine threat.
https://optimisingnutrition.com/rabbit-starvation/
With my own 40% Protein diet, 30-40% Fat is still healthy and I’m not at risk for any type of starvation.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jul-14-24, 12:43

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Context is always important and so often forgotten. The US population as a whole may be eating the SAD. I for one haven't eaten the SAD for over two decades so context of for me is different than context for someone who has eaten that way for their entire life.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jul-14-24, 17:07
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I think it'd be hard to suffer rabbit starvation if you were eating protein from the supermarket meat section. I eat mostly protein. About 120-150g of protein daily, and around 40-50g of fat, and 50g or less of net carbs.

I'm losing weight, albeit slowly, with this method. On HFLC I would gain weight.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jul-21-24, 10:35

Plan: None, limit carbs, Omega6
Stats: 161/140/140 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Thanks everyone.