Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-03, 05:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/140/140 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Stalling on induction

Is that normal? Lost 10 lbs my first week, haven't lost nothing since.

I'm not particularly upset, nor will this deter me, but just trying to find out whether or not this is something others' experienced.

Perhaps I should stop "cheating" with the lo-carb chocolate?

Also - I consistently end up eating less carbs than I'm supposed to be having (once again, only had 10 carbs yesterday), although I try to get my carbs in. But at a certain point I just can't eat anymore (I have the number of meals a day suggested, and eat my salad).

Could that be the problem?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-03, 05:36
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

10 pounds is a lot the first week! Your body could be just trying to catch up! And it is common for people to come to a stand still shortly after Introduction You will hear this a lot, but measure yourself!!!!

MY STUPID scale has been stuck for a while now, and if not stuck moving very slowly. I finally gave up and measured myself. A little over a week later, still living with a stubbon scale, I remeasured myself and had lost 5 inches!

Some people tend to lose iches over numbers on the scale. Its good to at least have something to tell you that you are on the right track. Even when the mean scale wont!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-03, 05:37

BF:

P.S. On the plus side, I lost 6.5 inches since last time I measured (which was - get this - Monday). I do, however, measure my arm and thigh in addition to the usual bust-waist-hips measurements. If only bust-waist-hips are counted, I've lost 5 inches since Monday.

I LOVE THIS!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-03, 05:40

BF:

Hi, MaryToYou!

Great seeing you again!

Isn't that funny how we cross-posted?

I actually re-weighed myself and it looks like I _gained_ 2 lbs. But lost 6.5 inches. How funny is that?

I also think it must be my silly scale - it might not be completely accurate. I'm going to get myself an electronic one so that I can keep track (not that it concerns me, so long as I keep losing inches).
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-03, 05:55
& Dillion Doggie Do!

My husband hates our scale! When he weighs himself at the doctors office or the gym, where ever they have a balance scale, there is a 5 pound difference. OURS weighing 5 pounds heavier! Hey I don't mind taking and extra 5 pounds off my weight

Now we have ordered a balance scale. See how far I will go for an extra 5 pounds!

Also I am sure that you have read that the low- carb chocolates, along with nuts can stall somepeople. I am hoping that I am not one of those people!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-03, 05:59

BF:

I did, but I "cheated" with them the first week, too. Although I never had one whole bar ever - I just take a bite every other day or so. One bar (I like the Pure D Lite) lasts me about 3 days. I don't think that's enough to stall me, but if I stop losing, I'll lay off them for a while (considering I've lost inches, I don't think I stopped losing yet, he he he).
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-03, 06:03
& Dillion Doggie Do!

LOL this is starting to look like a phone call!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-03, 06:14

BF:

He he he.

Yeah.

A weightloss 911.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-03, 13:59
Former Couch Potato

Stats: 209/195.5/165 Female 5' 8"
BF:Oh yeah!
Progress: 31%

Don't give up and don't worry about the scale. A week and a half into Induction, I was down 14.5 lbs. Then I gained two pounds, so I finished Induction at 12 lbs down. Next week, I stalled completely and into week 4. But I didn't give up and the losses started again (inch loss continued even when the scale registered a gain).

Now I really don't worry about the scale at all. Though I'm continuing to lose and to lose inches, the scale still goes up and down, up and down.

If you look at the Fitday link at the bottom of my message, you can follow it to see my weight loss graph (at the bottom of my fitday page). It will show you just how much weight fluctuates.

If you stick with Atkins, you'll have to get used to that! But despite the gains I see some days, I'm still down 18.5 lbs in 5.5 weeks!!

This WOE works. You just have to trust it. And don't start tinkering with the plan too soon.

Good luck!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-03, 14:59
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Boy Kaillean, you sound just like me! I have finally moved down a pound, it was a pound and a half till this morning, after a three week stall coming out of Induction! The only thing that made me feel much better was I measured myself after two weeks of stalling, and then was rewarded when I remeasured and found I lost inches!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-03, 15:07
Former Couch Potato

Stats: 209/195.5/165 Female 5' 8"
BF:Oh yeah!
Progress: 31%

Mary,

It seems to be very common for people to stall coming out of Induction. Especially in the third week.

I was glad I had read this before I did so, or I would have been depressed!

Anyway, I think learning to ride the ups and downs is the key to success with this WOE.

As is often said here, "What's the alternative?"

Even if we only lose a half pound a week, it's more than we were losing before. And more likely we were gaining!

And the best part -- no hunger!