Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-06-03, 22:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 195??/186/150
BF:
Progress:
Default bummed out

Hey guys, have'nt been here in a while. I had to take a break from Atkins while I was coming off my meds. The dr. said I needed to have caffiene since I was dizzy and sick. It actually helped my dizziness and stuff.

Well the last few days been trying hard to get back into the swing of things because I did put the weight back on. Yesterday I did awesome at 30 carbs and today I blew it and was at 60 carbs. I got used to eating what I wanted again. The only reason I got to 60 today was because I was sooo hungry and I am stuck here at work and I raided the stupid vending machine.

well DBF calls and starts talking to me and asked what I was eating. I confessed, it was a twix. He gets all mad at me and says this WOE is not working for you. You NEED to count calories again. I have never seen you eat this much food.

I was floored. I was like, excuse me before when I was on Weight Watchers I starved to death. I had to sneak food because I was embarrassed that I was starving all the time. I did lose weight on WW only because I worked out for 2 hours a day. I am unable to do that now because I work full time.

I just got so bummed, I feel like crying because I got hungry and I'm stuck here at work. He just kept going on and on about how I had 2 eggs and 2 small slices of sausage for breakfast and was I full? No I had a 3 carb protein shake to and then was full until almost 1.

He also went on to tell me that my fat jeans are getting tighter and that I have gained weight in my hips and bottom. *sniff*

Now mind you, this last week I have been getting back into the excercise routine. I have started to faithfully count carbs the last 2 days. I can't help it that I had to go off of Atkins for a few weeks while I got my body back under control.

Sorry, Ijust had to whine. I'm feeling depressed. I know my DBF means well and he just does not want to listen to me whine about my weight but that just took the cake.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-06-03, 23:56

Stats: 196/179/164 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 53%

Cheer up! I think it is wonderful that you are deciding to come back to it. Don't be so hard on yourself. Your bf seemed as though he was being quite harsh to you, but perhaps it is just because he doesn't fully understand? Maybe if you could convince him to read the book, he might be more sympathetic?
I know how terrible it is to feel like you must 'sneak' food in order to avoid someone making hurtful comments. Just know that tommorow you can begin again, and not to beat yourself up anymore. Things happen. And just think - if you stick to it, your bf will be eating his words in a few weeks when you walk in wearing those 'fat jeans' and they are baggy! Hang in there - it can only get better from here
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-03, 00:00

Plan: 35-65 net carbs
Stats: 362/281.8/150 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

cheer up girl.. NO MAN IS WORTH YOUR TEARS! one question is he doing this WOL with you???? if not he has no room to talk, try telling him about all the CARBAGE he puts in his body and how its killing him and eventually will make him have a bubble belly.

and we all have "bad" lc days.. believe me ive been there, i know how hard it is to be at work , be hungry and all you have is a vending machine to count on , one day these people will wisen up and realize that LC is the rage..

YOu just need a big ole hug girl... and remember we all love ya... and when the going gets tough ( the weak run here LOL me included!)
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-03, 00:06

Stats: 195??/186/150
BF:
Progress:

No, he is convinced that Weight Watchers is the only way. I told him I would like for him to read the book but he refuses to give up bread. He has also put on the weight because he slipped off of his plan, and it shows. I have never said anything though because I don't want to hurt his feelings.

He wanted nooky tonight and I think I'm gonna go home and tell him that he does'nt need my fat body wrapped around his. So there!!!!

Tommorow I will go back to 20-25 carbs per day and figure out snacks for work. Darn men anyway.....
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-03, 00:13

Plan: 35-65 net carbs
Stats: 362/281.8/150 Female 62 inches
BF:

you go girl... dont give him anything after he makes you feel like pure Crap!... its not worth it, i agree with the Men comment LOL.... sometimes they drive me literally crazy!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-03, 03:49
CAD for life

Plan: Atkins/CAD
Stats: 193/163.5/125 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 43%
Default Ok

Now that was not very nice of him but you show him ok. i have gotten to goal on weight watchers but like you I was starving to death and would go have taco bell after weigh in....ANd it definetely did not stay off

What you need to do is eat more!!! plan it out I work crazy long hours and too many as well but this is what...in my opinion you should do.

Bring a big bag of legal food with you to work..I hope you have a fridge if not bring a little cooler. Be sure you bring a snack and lots for lunch and stuff to drink.....I know stuck at work with nothing to eat leads to vending machines and ice cream for me!!!!

Things to bring:
hard boiled eggs, deviled eggs, hot wings, budding ham with cream cheese, chicken breast, fried chicken that you make at home with no flour...it still tastes yummy, salad, califlower, broccoli, cabbage, hambuger patties to warm in microwave

people used to give me a hard time about my bag of food I bring...but who is laughing now at 40 pounds down???

I dodn't eat all the food I bring most nights but on some nights I have had the muchies and eat it all!!! better than a twix!!!

Feel free to stop by journal...I love talking with new people!!!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-03, 03:49
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 176.4/159/130
BF:41%/36.4%/?
Default think positive

hi, i could identify with your feelings.
cheer up you are not the only one on this very very difficult path!

Be where your feet are!

your recommittment inspires me!

nix
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-03, 10:45

Stats: 165/145/130
BF:
Progress: 57%
Default Just an observation

Sounds like the BF is sore at himself for his lack of success at weight loss - otherwise, why would he be so het up about what is really your business?
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-03, 10:58

Plan: Atkins started 1/2/03
Stats: 302/260/185
BF:47/38/23
Progress: 36%
Default You can do it!

Like everyone else has told you, he is not worth your tears. In your heart of hearts, I know that you believe in LC or you wouldn't be here! That says a lot for you and your commitment to this WOE.

WW does work for some people, but for others, like us, we starve on it! You can do this...get a few good LC days in and you will kick the cravings to the curb.

Hang in there and let us know how it is going!

Amy
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-03, 11:17
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

I think anyone that tells you what to eat or what not to eat should be completely cut out of the entire diet/food equation.

This is your life and your choices and you don't need to defend yourself at all - especially to someone who is supposed to support you at any weight!

Sorry but this makes me so angry I'm holding back too!

Take care and be healthy and do this for yourself!
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-03, 12:53

Plan: SP/Atkins hybrid
Stats: 224/192/130 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

Your boyfriend should not be so concerned with your diet, your weight, or the fit of your jeans.

The packaging is nothing, it's the contents that count.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-03, 14:51

Plan: Atkins (customized)
Stats: 158/137/130
BF:
Progress: 75%

Sounds like my bf, somewhat. He calls it motivation, I call it just plain mean. But lately the "harsh reality checks" he dishes out have simmered down to compliments, which is soooo welcomed. I know from experience that when someone you care about doesn't support you, it hurts more than anything else could. The best weapon you have is success. You can do this, and in the process show him how wrong he can be. That is what motivates me... not the reality checks.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-03, 15:09
Montana MaMa

Plan: My own lc
Stats: ***/***/140 Female 5'7"
BF:***
Progress: 26%

I feel your pain, I have been there so many times. I dont know what makes them feel they can talk to us that way. If they think that they are helping us, theyre not, it only makes it worse. Try not to get so upset, I have had to be tough so try to be. Over time they find out that it doesnt get to you so they dont get any satisfaction out of it anymore. He has no right to say those things to you. And he knows nothing of this WOE, dont listen to him, some ppl you just cant please. This decision you made was for you, so do it for yourself, you dont need to do it for him. Think of only yourself, we need to do that sometimes. Best of luck to you, and I'll come back and visit you again.

Take care

Shannon

Last edited by shama : Mon, Apr-07-03 at 20:20.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-03, 15:39

Stats: 220/188/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 53%

I know, I know , I know!! I have a husband at home just like him. If I got hungry at night after dinner, he would say, "You're eating again?! You just ate two hours ago!"
(Oh!!! Is that what I was doing when I opened my mouth, inserted food and chewed?)
Finally I just told him he was a jack ass and when I wanted his opinion I would give it to him.

I figured that was nicer than what I really wanted to do with him.

I know how badly you want his support, but you probably won't be able to convince him to be more understanding or sympathetic no matter how hard you try. Some people are just born that way. I would go with the advice of not including him in the diet equation. And especially don't try to team up with him on a weight loss plan together. Men always lose faster than women and that will set you up for discouragement.

You may just have to stop talking about the diet with him. That's what I had to do. If he brings it up, give short, to-the point answers; don't explain or defend yourself; and agree with him whenever possible. Then change the subject quickly to something he really loves like football or NASCAR. His interest will probably dwindle away soon. But remember...if you don't want his criticism, don't ask for his praise either. Instead, come to this forum for that.
We will be your cheerleaders!!!

Good luck!
Amy Mc
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-03, 16:08

Stats: 165/145/130
BF:
Progress: 57%
Default One more thing...

Men do have a tendency to want to fix things, and they usually think that if a woman expresses frustration over anything, the correct response is propose a solution. What women are usually looking for is sympathy or empathy. Even when you spell that out for them very clearly, it's hard to change that behavior. Amy has a good point - the best way to avoid criticism is to avoid looking for approval. Besides, you can get all the sympathy, empathy and approval you need right here!