Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-03, 02:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 255/243/150
BF:
Progress: 11%
Thumbs up new to forum

Hello all. I recently began Atkins. I am currently 255lbs and my goal weight is 150lbs. My biggest challenge has been staying motivated. It seems like I've got so far to go. I'm very impressed with the forum, and anticipate using it as an integral part of my support system. I look forward to getting to know you all!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-03, 07:46
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Welcome to the forum.

Staying motivated is often an issue for those of us who have so much to lose. I try not to focus on how far I have come, but instead set short-terms goals that are easier to meet. My current short-term goal is to hit the 100 pounds lost mark -- I have 24 more pounds to go to get there. It's much easier for me to think about losing 24 pounds than to think about how far I have to go after I get there. I've already lost 76 pounds, I know I can lose another 24.

The other thing that keeps me motivated is focusing on the fact that I want to live to see my two teenage kids grow up and have kids of their own. I know that my excess weight can kill me, so that is a powerful motivator.

I think that as you start losing and people start noticing (which takes a while for those of us with a lot to lose -- I lost 35 pounds before anyone noticed -- you're smaller so they will probably start noticing sooner), all those compliments also provide motivation to keep going. It's hard to see the day-to-day changes resulting from losing a pound or two a week (which is the rate at which I lose), but they do add up.

In addition, the noticeable improvements in my health and well being also help keep me motivated. When I started this way of eating, I was so fat I was starting to lose my mobility. Now I can walk for hours and my back and knees no longer hurt. That is a powerful motivator.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-03, 09:49

Stats: 295/189/185 Male 70"
BF:
Progress: 96%
Default Hello Cekeating!

Welcome to the forum!

I agree with Liz; focus on short term goals and the long term goals will take care of themselves. I try not to get too hung up on losing "x" amount of weight by a given date. You will learn, I did at least, that your body will lose weight when it's good and ready. Sounds like my wife's attitude, but that's another story (humor). When not losing weight, I still lose inches. If you haven't, do yourself a favor and take measurements. You'll be glad you did.

I also use this forum for motivation also. There are a lot of people here doing a great job of losing weight. I'm some where in the middle of rate of loss. But I feed off of others success; I'm happy for them. It helps keep me going.

BTW, I hit 250 this AM (this has been my driver's license weight for 10 years), making 45 pounds lost in seven months. I totally happy!

Good luck with your new WOL!

BrewWA
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-03, 12:27

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Welcome to the forum, cekeating!

There's years worth of information here to draw from, so have a good look around!

Staying focused is an interesting topic that you'll find many people writing about. Interestingly, it comes up for some in times of stalls, which can be very frustrating. On the other hand, it also becomes an issue in times of success, such as when you do really well and begin to get overly confident and carb creep happens...

Don't let me scare you tho. It's all good and good for you. Glad that you can take the journey with us!

Good luck!

Donald
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-03, 18:12

Plan: Atkins/BFL
Stats: 325/287/150
BF:
Progress: 22%

Welcome! We're glad you're here -- this is a terrific place for support and encouragement.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-03, 18:54

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 415/338.8/170 Female 177cm
BF:unknown
Progress: 31%

Hi and welcome

Start yourself a journal and prepare to develop an addiction to this site, it is wonderful - so much information, so many inspirational stories... I often sit for hours reading journals and posting to everyone

Fiona
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Apr-05-03, 12:24

Plan: my own
Stats: 253/176.0/153 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

Hi and welcome! Motivation is indeed an interesting topic. I am a person who struggles with it daily. I'm a turtle loser, not much weight loss and only differnence in measurements has been a 2 inch loss on waist. Therefore I find that my motivation can't come from numbers on the scale or inches on the measuring tape or smaller clothing sizes. My motivation comes basically from lowered blood sugar numbers. I think that its important for everyone to find their motivation. For some it will be numbers, for some it will be inches, or re-newed energy, or all those little milestones along the way that happen. Keep looking for your motivation, post often and gather inspiration from the people here. You can do it. Keep the faith!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Apr-05-03, 19:49

Stats: 266/251.2/199 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 22%
Smile Welcome!

Hi Cekeating!

We've got very similar stats so I just wanted to give you a hearty welcome.

I know that my goal weight seems light years away no matter how you look at it. But staring at that goal weight every day is really helping to see this as a way to change my entire way of eating instead of just a way to lose weight.

Good luck & keep postin'