Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-03, 15:32

Plan: Atkins Maintence with modifications
Stats: 182/150/150 Female 5ft 8 in
BF:36%/23%/22%
Progress: 100%
Unhappy felt like I was going to faint

I have been following atkins plan strictly for the past week. I have felt pretty weak and it seems that the strengh in my arms are not as good as a week ago before starting. I have been keeping my carbs to less then 20 a day and I know I am in ketosis. Well today I felt real bad,I thought I was going to black out I just felt so weak. So I freaked out and ate some bread and then some crackers. I do feel better know. Im not sure if this diet is ok for me. This sucks because I did lose 6 pounds and I would hate to gain them back. I dont know what to do,I dont want to feel sick. I was doing this diet to be healthier not feel worse. What could be wrong with me to feel so bad? I am taking doctor Atkins vitamins to so its not like I am not getting enough vitamins. Well I hope someone can help. Also is my diet ruined on what I ate?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-03, 15:40
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

Atkins is a lc program that naturally lowers blood pressure. It could be that you're pressure is dropping to the point where you feel you're blacking out. Other lcers have had that problem.

Last edited by Zuleikaa : Thu, Apr-03-03 at 15:42.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-03, 15:54
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:

Hi Debmarjs,

Are you taking any supplements? Potassium deficiency can cause a feeling of muscle weakness. During Induction, we tend to lose a lot of extra water, which can lead to a potassium deficiency.

You replace potassium either by taking tablets, or switching to a potassium salt such as Nu Salt or No Salt (just sprinkle on your food, as with normal salt).

The Drs Eades (authors of Protein Power) suggest that early in low carbing an extra 400mg daily is a good idea.
If you take the tablets, they should be taken in divided doses, and with food, as they may otherwise cause stomach irritation.

Are you drinking plenty of water? You will especially need plenty while taking potassium.

One more thing: People who are taking tablets for high blood pressure or fluid tablets should not take potassium supplements without first checking with their pharmacist.

HTH

Rosebud
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-03, 16:40

Plan: MOP
Stats: 169/159/135
BF:45%/42%/ 35%
Progress: 29%

I had a similar reaction my first week, too. Perhaps you're not getting 20 effective carbs. Have you checked your fiber and subtracted it from the carbs. Was told it was probably my body adjusting.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-03, 19:01

Plan: Atkins Maintence with modifications
Stats: 182/150/150 Female 5ft 8 in
BF:36%/23%/22%

Maybe it was my blood pressure. I naturally have very low blood pressure as it is. The vitamin that I am taking has 10mg of potassium in it. I wonder if that is not enough and maybe thats why I have the weakness in my arms. Anymore help would be greatly appreciated because I really would like to make this diet work. Thank you
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-03, 19:07
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

10 mg of potassium is no where near enough. You might consider taking 1-2 pills as a separate supplement. I think that would be 198 mg total.

Last edited by Zuleikaa : Thu, Apr-03-03 at 19:21.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-03, 19:18
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

Cool - I didn't know about the low blood pressure thing - I also have naturally low blood pressure and although my plan does not require it I have been in ketosis all week and have had to drastically reduce my exercise due to weakness and shakiness - maybe it's a blood pressure problem - I'll have to look into that. Thanks.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-03, 21:41

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Not that low blood pressure is a issue for me, but when I felt a little odd, I ate a fresh strawberry, it helped, mind you it was'nt during induction

cheers Kathy
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-03, 01:02

Stats: 151/128/110 Female 5'1.5"
BF:Yes
Progress: 56%

I felt the same way the first week and even now if I get up too quickly I can feel a little head change but I seem to be doing/feeling better.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-03, 09:06

Stats: 152/140/130
BF:
Progress: 55%

During induction, I had the same problem with weakness (felt like I could hardly pick up my feet to walk) and light-headedness. It all went away during week 2 and hasn't been back since.

I also recommend the potassium supplements (and magnesium). I was getting leg cramps at one point and adding these two eliminated them.