Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-03, 16:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%
Default Woohoo..hubby's joining me :)

My darling husband has finally decided to join me on this way of eating. He's been debating for the past couple of weeks as to trying Atkins or doing low cal/low fat. I told him it was up to him...if he didn't mind doing it over and over again in his lifetime...go with the lowfat...lol. He doesn't believe Atkins will work, despite seeing me drop 19 lbs in a short period of time (he thinks its the 5-6 days a week at the gym that caused the loss).

At any rate, my job is to keep food in the house that he will eat and help him figure out what to eat. This is easier said than done, as I've never been good at shopping, etc. I can eat the same thing every day and be okay with it because I don't really get bored with food easily.

Anyway...if anyone has a shopping list on their computer or could post a standard shopping list, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!!!

L
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-03, 18:18

Plan: SP/Atkins hybrid
Stats: 224/192/130 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

Oh Congratulations!

My husband has been L/Cing with me too! (maybe I should say I'm doing it with him because he's lost exactly twice as much weight as I have)

It's so much easier when you're both doing the same thing. Shopping, cooking, dining out, etc. are all more fun when you have that built in support and the same goals.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 12:19

Stats: 161/148.5/148
BF:
Progress: 96%

My husband has been eating this way with me from the beginning and it certainly makes things easier. He is absolutely overjoyed at the breakfasts we eat (eggs, sausage or ham and mushrooms) since that is the part he always found hardest about our previous low-fat lifestyle. He has gotten sick of salads for lunch, but I try to buy a variety of fresh vegetables so he has a selection which is getting easier this time of year. I also buy a variety of cheeses and deli meats. Recently I got some low-carb tortillas which I hope remind him of sandwiches and make lunches more bearable -- of course these aren't good for induction. Dinners are fairly easy since we can do so many interesting things with cream and cheeses. Check out the recipes section - lots of good ideas.

Sorry to go on and on, but I hope some of this helps.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 12:31

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/189/140
BF:
Progress: 18%

My DH told me in the beginning he would not follow my "diet", he would do it HIS way. However...with the changes I have made at home (he still eats high carb at lunch, drinks beer in the evenings, etc.) he announced to me that he has lost 13 lbs.
So NOW he decides this WOE "might" be okay....
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 12:54

Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%

He has been asking about the low carb bread since way before he started yesterday...lol. I don't know what to tell him. I am sticking with induction until I get close to goal, so I don't have any answers about when he can incorporate some low carb bread.

Soooo...can he have a sandwich a day after induction is over and still lose? I saw some low carb bread that has 3 carbs per slice that looked good. Does anyone here use it? I don't want to stear him wrong, but I don't think I can keep him away from it past the two weeks...lol.

L
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 13:02

Plan: induction
Stats: 192/187/147 Female 1.70
BF:BMI = 30
Progress: 11%

I wish my hubby would start this WOE as well. If only to stop him munching crisps and stuffing himself with chocolates and biscuits in front of me.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 13:17

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

My DBF tried and gave up! Poor high carb monster. Yesterday his dinner was two PB&J's, Pringles, Minute Maid fruit punch, and chocolate chip cookies. And yes, he eats like a third grader.

You should see him order chicken fingers and a glass of milk in a restaurant. One waitress actually said, "He's like a little kid."

He said that if he ever decides to try low carb with me, CAD is the way to go. Kmwebb, your DH's WOE seems a bit CAD-like. Guys lose easier anyway.

Actually, my BF has lost weight too, since he gave up this sandwich he ate composed of white bread, american cheese, baloney, and peanut butter for a simple ham on wheat. Weirdo.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 13:37

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/189/140
BF:
Progress: 18%
Talking Hey Angela!!!

How did YOU know my Husband is a CAD???

I have actually suggested that to him...but he is quite stubborn. Only admits it works if he thinks it is HIS idea!!!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 14:28

Plan: SP/Atkins hybrid
Stats: 224/192/130 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

For the sandwich dilemna, try making a "wrap" sandwich with a lettuce leaf.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 17:10
This is the year

Stats: 194/186.8/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

That's great that he's joining you! Mine is right on that edge too. But he's been doing Slimfast and not seing good results even with working out. I think seeing the better food on my plate is getting to him! I hope he does soon, it'll make meals easier to prepare.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 17:56

Stats: 161/146/135
BF:00/35%/24%
Progress: 58%
Post You are so lucky

I've been trying to talk my DH into joining me, but he refuses. He sees that I've lost, and he sees what I eat. He even likes everything I eat, but he just refuses to give up rice and sugar. I don't bug him anymore, I just hope he wakes up one day (soon) and decides to switch his eating habits.

I'm really happy for you LC couples, Way To Go