Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 06:47
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins and South Beach
Stats: 232/189.8/150 Female 60 inches
BF:don't want to know
Progress: 51%
Default Well, My Liver Works!

I tested at bedtime last night at 3.1 and almost got up to eat a little something. This morning my test was 9.3 so that old liver pumped out glycogen for me last night. The only thing is that I have a fasting BGL test this morning. Oh well, it's the HA1C that counts.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 08:06

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Wow, Ruth...I'm surprised that you weren't having hypoglycemic symptoms with a blood glucose of 3.1 (that translates out to about 55 for those that use that scale). You definitely experienced a glygogen dump. The good news is that your A1C is probably going to look pretty good if your blood sugars have been getting that low. The bad news is that your fasting probably isn't going to look too pretty, although 9.3 isn't extremely high and depending on how long it will be before you get your blood drawn, it may be going back down again.

Quote:
I tested at bedtime last night at 3.1 and almost got up to eat a little something.

If this happens again, definitely get up and eat a little something. When you test and it's that low, you don't know if it's going to continue to drop or start going back up again. The wisest course of action is to go eat something that will bring your blood sugar back up over 70 at least and a 5 gram snack probably would have accomplished that nicely such as a Wasa crispbread with a slice of meat on it.
You also might want to mention to your doctor that your blood sugar got that low. A medication adjustment (dosage or the time you take it) might be in order.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 10:01
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins and South Beach
Stats: 232/189.8/150 Female 60 inches
BF:don't want to know
Progress: 51%
Default Thanks, Lisa

You are right - I should have followed my instinct. My liver probably went into shock and then into overdrive! I'm really not sure what hypoglycemic symptoms are like. I must check that out so I recognize them.

We are off on a nine day trip to Vancouver and Victoria. I am going to test a couple of times a day and keep an eye on it. When we get back, we meet with the doc to discuss results of this mornings blood tests. I will be sure to mention the low and that the morning was high because of this.

I'm packing some small packets of almonds for the trip just in case I need a bedtime snack!

Thanks once again for all the support.