Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Our Website > Comments Box and Technical Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-27-03, 10:27

Plan: my own
Stats: 253/176.0/153 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%
Default Lost pics and d/l problems

When i first signed up, e1's pics were displayed. Now i get nothing but a small box with an x and when i click on it, it does nothing. What should i do? Also, when ppl have something to d/l to look at in their msg, i click on it, but also get nothing? Any ideas on what i'm doing wrong here?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-27-03, 22:14
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

hi Char,

Have you recently installed firewall software on your computer? This seems to be the most common culprit for members who cannot view images or open attachments.

Or possibly your internet browser is set to high security/privacy, and will not permit viewing 3rd party images (many images, including signature pics, are linked to an external website)

hth,

Doreen
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-03, 22:21

BF:

Doreen....when i first signed up, i was able to get the pics and then all of a sudden i can't anymore. Nothing has changed on my computer and i checked my internet security and it seems to be fine. Any other suggestions?
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 10:39
Forum Founder

BF:

hi Char,

Only other thing I can think of is ad-blocking programs, if you've downloaded one of those to prevent pop-up ads when surfing the net.

Sorry I can't think of any other problem ... browser security/privacy settings, firewall settings and ad-blocker software are the only culprits we know of that might prevent opening attachments in posts.

Unless somebody else has an idea

Doreen
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-03, 06:36

Plan: Atkins (OWL)
Stats: 183/153/140 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 70%

Charran,

I am having the same problem, and it is driving me nuts! I have tried everything I could think of to fix it, but nothing works so far. It is especially frustrating because I used to get the pictures and now all of a sudden I don't. Weird. If I figure it out, I'll let you know. Please do the same for me.

#6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-03, 07:56
Forum Founder

BF:

The problem is not the site, but either your browser settings or a program running on your computer that's blocking the pics. There's additional information and suggestions that might be helpful to you, posted in this thread .. I can't open any pictures on this site?.

hth

Doreen
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-03, 15:03

BF:

Larisa...I will let you know if i find anything that works and please do the same for me if you find a solution too. I d/l things that ppl have attached and the screen says its done, but its blank. I can't get any pics to come up no matter what i do. Its very frustrating. I've asked everyone i know who knows anything about computers and no one has a solution. I tried that link Doreen, but no luck there either. I don't have an ads block program on here, so that's not the problem. Just really wish i could find what it is though....ANYONE???????
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-03, 15:34
Forum Founder

BF:

hi again Char,

Did you try the suggestion to delete Temporary Internet folders from your browser settings, or the java script fix that Crimson described, from the link in my post above?? If you're not sure how to do that, maybe you know a computer geek who could have a look for you??

Hope you get the problem solved soon.

Doreen
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-03, 19:49

Plan: Atkins for now.
Stats: 135/?/115? Female Short. 5"3
BF:Don't wanna know.
Progress: 15%

I'm having the same problem. All of a sudden today when I logged in I'm seeing Red X's as avatars for the people who have uploaded their own. I can't see my avatar, but I can see the same pic in my sig line (but thats linked from imagestation). Same thing showing next to other people who I know have their own custom avatars. Red X's.

Its not my cache. I delete that crap daily and haven't installed anything new on my comp.....

I know Doreen is saying its not the site, but usually when a site is showing red X's its a server error. I thought it was because I was using a proxy but I turned that off and it is still happening..I don't think it's my come because I use the same avatar on other sites and I can see those just fine. =/
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-03, 20:06
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally posted by SlimShAdY
but usually when a site is showing red X's its a server error.

No, red X's means your browser can't find those pictures. It could be because they don't exist, or your setup is preventing it from finding them or even blocking them.

Now, if everyone here can't see the pictures, then it's a server error.

If only those who have specific software settings to block them, then it's due to those software and/or settings.

I test the forum with a combination of about 10 or so different versions of browsers, and different computers, and they all work fine. The only browsers I can't check are Mac browsers, because I don't have a Mac machine.

So the most likely reason is that you are blocking cookies. Some may not even be aware of it, but have their browsers or other software block them.

Wa'il
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-03, 23:36

Plan: Atkins for now.
Stats: 135/?/115? Female Short. 5"3
BF:Don't wanna know.
Progress: 15%

Hey.

I hope I didn't sound like I was accusing you guys of lying or anything, sorry if I did because I didn't mean it like that. I just automatically assumed it was the site when I seen them because any other time I've seen rex x's..it was always the site. Its just weird that its only certain pics.

I have no clue what would be causing my comp to do this. Guess I'll just recheck all the settings later.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Apr-05-03, 11:00
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

Now I'm having a similar problem - I can still see avatars - but I wanted to put an image on a post in my journal - I have a shoebox of pictures at an MSN site so I did the HTML coding for an image and it gives a red x - however if I put a link to the image itself and click the link the pic shows up - so it's not that the image is missing. I wanted the pic to show on my journal page and not have people have to click a link for it. I tried for about an hour with everything I could think of - I used the IMG option at the top of the message making options. I did get one to work by uploading a pic as an attachment and then doing another post and using the attachment address in the image coding unfortunately in trying to resize the image it got so screwed up it was all grey and pixelated. Oh well its a cold snowy saturday - I'll putter around some more.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Apr-05-03, 11:07
Forum Founder

BF:

hi KoKo,

MSN, and most other free photo album sites will block you from hot-linking to the pictures you have posted there. That's what it's called when you use the img tags (either html or vB) to have a picture that's on another website show up here. Having a simple link isn't the same, because that takes you to the actual website where the pic is posted.

I've given a more detailed explanation about hot-linking images in this post .. Important Information: posting pictures, attachments and image linking

hth,

Doreen
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Apr-05-03, 12:10
Stepford Malfunction

Thanks Doreen

I solved the problem by uploading them into the document folder at the MSN group and then used the address of the document which is actually a .jpg and its working now. I messed up a couple of posts fiddling around but I've asked for them to be deleted.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Apr-05-03, 12:54
Stepford Malfunction

Doreen

By the time I read the link you provided I had solved the problem - but I am wondering now if it's allright to have the pics open with the journal page - they are medium sized - and I don't have them on all pages, so far just one. I have seen pics on other journals so I thought it was ok. If it's not please tell me and I'll delete them.