Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-03, 07:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 215/188/190
BF:
Progress: 108%
Default Reached Goal Weight

Have been doing Atkins sice Jan 4-03, started at 215, now at 188.
I think I have had a pretty typical experience, 6-8 pounds the first week, then approx 2 pounds per week after that. I have had a couple weeks where I lost nothing, but had a couple trips out of town where it was hard to stick with the plan. My CCL is about 50 grams per day, and I have a few Rye and water on the weekends and eat and drink aspartame sweetened goodies, but not too much. I have been walking about 5 kilometers per day and have attempted to get into lifting weights, but it's hard.
My wife "loribell' has been succcessful as well, but still has a few pounds to go, she has made sticking with this much easier with the great meal ideas she comes up with. I could still stand to lose a few more pounds, but mostly would like to firm up now, so I will have to get into the weight training.

I am not bragging, just letting everyone know that if I can do this you can too.

Carry On
JJ
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-03, 09:23
Registered Member

Stats: 256/211/165
BF:
Progress: 49%

Congrats JJ. You do all the bragging you need to do! This is a major deal. Will you continue with this woe or move on to something else? Again good job.

Gail
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-03, 09:26
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

Congratulations! I always like to see the "goal weight reached" stories. I think they are important in keeping all of us motivated.

You should post some before and after pics in the success stories area.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-03, 09:37

Stats: 182/147/145 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 95%

A big congratulation to you JJ! Now don't disappear from the forum--we still need your support. And besides, the hardest part for you is just beginning--keeping the weight off.

judy
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-03, 09:58

Plan: atkins
Stats: 354/233/200 Male 5 ft 11 in
BF:YES
Progress: 79%
Default what they said!!

Jon
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-03, 10:01

Plan: Started Atkins 3/17/03 now CKD
Stats: 145/113/115 Female 65
BF:54%/21%/18%
Progress: 107%
Exclamation

WAY TO GO JJ!! Awesome
You're an inspiration to us all!!
Jo
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-03, 10:19

Stats: 215/188/190
BF:
Progress: 108%

Thanks everyone. I will be sticking with the low carb way of life, at least that is the plan. My wife is also following Atkins, so it makes it easier for both of us. As far as before and after pics, really I can't see much difference, my clothes are looser, but no one has said anything to me such as "are you losing weight?", or "jeez you look thinner". My immediate family has mentioned it, but they knew I was trying to lose weight. As far as other people not one person has said a thing. Go figure.
Anyhoo, I feel a whole bunch better then before Atkins.

Oh yeah, one funny thing I remember about induction is how good toothpaste tasted. Mmmmm..... tooothpaste........

Thanks again
JJ
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-03, 10:53

Stats: 167.5/122/115 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

Nobody is saying much to me about my weight loss either, but I suspect it's because people are embarrassed to talk about weight, especially to a woman. Like saying "you look like you've lost weight" would carry an implicit message of "Boy, were you ever fat." And what if they were wrong about the weight loss? That would be awkward.

I have noticed people saying "You look good..." while eyeing me as if they were trying to figure out what to say. One woman said "You look happy, like you've been taking care of yourself" and when I told her I had lost weight, she looked incredibly relieved, like it was OK for her to talk about it because I had mentioned it first.

--Sarah
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-03, 12:16

Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%

I think this is very true! No one has really said anything to me, either, except my immediate family. Those at work know I'm doing Atkins, but like you said...seem embarrassed to talk about it really. One of my bosses did ask my why I hadn't dressed down Friday and I told him because my jeans no longer fit me...lol. He looked a bit embarrassed and said "well, its really none of my business anyway". I don't care if they say anything or even notice. My hubby notices <weg>

L
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-03, 12:28

Stats: 402/234/160 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 69%

I am such a loud mouth that I've told everyone in my office, and all of my friends that I am doing Atkins. Its actually really been a lifesaver, because they have all thrown their support behind me. Everyday I get reminded that I am on a diet because people ask me about it. No one has asked me how much weight I have lost, as that might still be a little taboo to talk about openly, but they all watch for little differences, and let me know when they see them. Its really been good for me. I can't cheat at work, or when I am out with friends because everyone will call me on it!

Talk about diet boot camp!

Angelica
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-03, 12:31

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 135/123.0/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

Yippee JJ!!! I am almost there, a few more lbs. to go, but can't stress over them since this is a WOL. My four-year old tells me I can't eat certain things, as she polished off a tater tot at lunch. I always get from her, "but you USED to!" or "You can't eat those because they have sugar and carbs in them." Now I have "special" chocolate, "special" jello, "special" bagels, etc. Oh the heart attack I almost caused her as she saw me biting into a low-carb bagel covered w/cream cheese! Congrats on reaching your goal weight, now we want to see it maintained permanently!
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-03, 12:35
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

Low carb bagel? Excuse me while I wipe the drool from my mouth. Where can I find such a magical thing?
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-03, 12:57

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 135/123.0/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

Paleoanth, the low-carb bagel is from a local store, Low Carb Connection in Shrewsbury, NJ. If they do mail-order, I'm sure the shipping charges would be excessive. I actually heard about these bagels on this site (probably over in the Low Carb Products forum). Unfortunately, I do not have any nutrition information on hand. I usually have one every two or three weeks (they come frozen).
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-03, 13:40
Registered Member

Stats: 187/176.5/145 Female 5 ' 5 "
BF:39%
Progress: 25%
Default Reached Goal Weight

Wow!!!!
You are doing great! Can't wait for the day when I can say that.
It makes it much easier with the two of you doing Atkins. My husband isn't-and yet I am slowly incorporating it into his eating. If only I could get him off the ice cream after dinner and the oreo cookies.
Trying to live Atkins-
Lil