Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-29-03, 16:35

Plan: MOP
Stats: 169/159/135
BF:45%/42%/ 35%
Progress: 29%
Default When you're having guests......

Tomorrow my daughter and her family are coming to my house to help with yard work and general outdoor stuff.
This is what we've decided to eat so everyone will get something that suits them.
BBQ turkey breast (I have mine marinating. Don't know what daughter is doing with hers.) I'll brush it with a soy, ginger, garlic marinade while cooking. Daughter said she would make potato salad. I said I'd make a veg salad so she decided to do that instead of potato. Good girl!
I have some brown and serve rolls in the freezer that are left from pre-low carb. They will make ice cream for the kids so we all get what we want.

How do you handle these situations?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-29-03, 16:43

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 135/123.0/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

Sounds great! What time is dinner? LOL. Sorry, can't help you. Haven't had that situation come up yet (or better yet, I've made sure that situation hasn't arisen yet).
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-29-03, 16:44

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

I just cook a low carb meal and no one seems to notice. I do a soup - French fried onion, a prawn cocktail type salad or a waldorf, some kind of meat with a selection of veggies or a stew with lots of low carb veggies and finish off with something like sugar free jello topped with cream.

People generally know I'm losing weight and say things like ' I see you've given up your diet for tonight' or 'how on earth do you lose weight when you eat this lot?'...I love it!
Robert
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-29-03, 16:52
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

Barb

Love your menu Since I'm the cook I cook a main dish that is diet freindly but delish and make side dishes that may or may not be and regular dessert and just trust myself not to eat what I know I shouldn't - risky business at times - Summer is great though bbq's are the BEST!!! Hope you have a nice day.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Mar-29-03, 16:57

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I handle situations like that pretty much the way you're doing. I make a meat and veggie that are low carb and maybe add one or two higher carb side-dishes for the guests. Often, my guests prefer my low carb dishes to the higher ones, such as my buffalo wings or mock potato salad (made with blanched cauliflower) or my broccoli salad with bacon, cheddar cheese and red onion .
Come to think of it, the last time we had dinner guests I put rolls on the table, but nobody touched them. They kept going back for more of the main dish and veggies.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Mar-29-03, 18:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/176/145
BF:
Progress: 30%
Talking Mock Potato Salad? Bacon & Broccoli Salad?

I'm new here, just today.. (and 5 weeks on Atkins).

Is there a recipe folder around here?
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Mar-29-03, 19:01

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi Marcy!

If you click on the forum jump menu and scroll down, you should see the "kitchen" forum. Recipes are arranged by category and there are quite a few to browse through. Recipes can be rated (1 to 5 stars) by the members who try them.
Happy recipe hunting!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-03, 07:24

Plan: MOP
Stats: 169/159/135
BF:45%/42%/ 35%
Progress: 29%

Thanks for all your ideas. Don't know why I didn't think of a broccoli and bacon salad. It's one of my favorites that I often take to potlucks.
When I go to potlucks I make sure to bring something that I know is safe and hope there is something else that I can eat. There are always deviled eggs.
Will have to try the cauliflower mock potato sometime soon.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-03, 09:21
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 256/211/165
BF:
Progress: 49%

I like most here, just cook low carb. In the past month all of our dinners were low carb and nobody even noticed. I have found that I become far to resentful of my family when they are sitting around eating bread and pasta...so I don't make it anymore and it makes me feel good knowing that I am giving them healthy foods and am not the only one benefiting from this woe. They get their junk during the day when I can't control it...lol.

Gail
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Mar-31-03, 03:26

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

On Friday night I had 5 family members join my 5 for dinner. We had already decided to all chip in for pizza. SO, I went to groc. store and picked up fresh fixings for salad and toppings for Deep Dish Pizza Quiche. I made myself the quiche so I would be having pizza, too. Actually, my 2 sisters and my husband kept stealing my DDPQ and my Mom took the recipe!! My husband keeps saying, "you should make this for dinner for everybody sometime!". They seemed to enjoy the LC pizza over the regular kind. It's in the recipe section. FYI: I add about 3/4 to 1 cup of crushed pork rinds to the crust and it's crispy enough to pick up and eat like a regular crust--yummy!
N.