Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-04, 07:35

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

You can increase your carbs without eating tons of junk. You have been on the induction phase for your entire diet. You should have been moving onto the other phases since you didn't have that much weight to lose. You really need to read the book. I am not saying this as a cop-out. If you would have been going by the book, you may have had better results. Many people, especially the media, define the Atkins diet by the induction phase. We are expected to be on this phase for only 2 weeks. Many stay on longer if they have alot of weight to lose.

Like Karen stated, you need to read about the maintenance phase and begin eating with your health in mind.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Jul-02-04, 22:16

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

I can't add any additional information, only another voice re-affirming what you have already been told. Your post struck me as coming from the same "low-carbing is a 20g of carbs diet for weight loss that I will quit when I reach goal" mentality. Low carbing is a lifestyle - leave the lifestyle and the same things that led you to try low-carbing are very likely to come back in spades. You need to learn how to lead a low-carb lifestyle intended for maintenance. As others have said, many fruits, more veggies, and some whole grain carbs are now available to you. Enjoy your new weight, get our there and be happy, and match your carb intake to your activity level.

Be healthy!
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Jul-02-04, 22:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 167.5/122/115 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

There is a formula for calculating calorie needs that I like a lot here: http://www.weight-loss-i.com/calori...is-benedict.htm

(Of course this is an estimate, real people have slower or faster metabolisms that change their dietary needs. But I think this formula is a good place to start.)

First you find your BMR, the bare amount of calories you should never go below. Cococarby, if you are 19, 5'7" and 125 lb, your BMR is about 1417 (assuming I did the calculation right). Then you multiply by your activity factor to find out how many calories you need to maintain -- if you're moderately active, that puts you at almost 2,200 calories a day! More than double what you're currently eating.

It's possible that your metabolism has slowed down from eating so little, so you might want to gradually increase your calories rather than trying to cram in twice as much food all of a sudden. (I don't know about you but that would make me feel awful.) But in any case, if you want to be healthy and stop losing weight, definitely eat more. Your body will thank you.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Jul-03-04, 08:15
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

How are things going, Cococarby? It's been a few months since that original post.
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Jun-19-16, 00:46

Plan: LCHF (Banting)
Stats: 110/242/100 Male 197cm
BF:
Progress:

reply to TCastro
Interesting. With LCHF, calories are not an issue, they are never counted. 25g of carbs are the plan until you reach your goal weight, then slowly up the carbs until your wt is stable.
I thought being able to ignore calories was the whole point of low-carbing, you can eat until you are full. Worked for me.

Last edited by Bigbadjon2 : Sun, Jun-19-16 at 00:57.
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Jun-19-16, 01:07
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbadjon2
reply to TCastro
Interesting. With LCHF, calories are not an issue, they are never counted. 25g of carbs are the plan until you reach your goal weight, then slowly up the carbs until your wt is stable.
I thought being able to ignore calories was the whole point of low-carbing, you can eat until you are full. Worked for me.
Just pointing out that this is a 12 year old thread. Not sure how you came across it...? And tcastro has not visited the forum in 6 years. Still, a good answer.
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Jun-19-16, 06:58

Plan: South beach (modified)
Stats: 185/154/150 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 89%

You are in danger of going underweight (your BMI is 19.6, below 18.5 is underweight), especially at your age. Your brain need to develop, and you should not be in ketosis most days. 20 carbs is for kick start, not for maintenance, you, especially your developing brain, needs more. But I also agree with everyone else, nobody needs simple sugars, refined flour or high fructose corn sirup! To increase healthy carbs, eat whole grain bread, brown rice, sweet potatoes, starchy (lentils, humus/chickpeas, carrots, beets) as well as the green vegetables, and if you are on Atkins, cut down on animal protein - it is now quite well established that too much meat is not good for us!

The one thing I would add that may also help you with your family: Allow yourself 3 bites of any forbidden food. I found that a good rule during maintenance, usually meant for people craving ice cream or chocolate cake, but it is more socially acceptable for women to not eat a lot of any sweets than to be strict and say no. So, don't binge on simple carbs, as it sounds like you forced yourself, but RELAX.

If you find yourself to continue losing weight, throwing up after meals, or unable to maintain your already pretty thin weight, do ask your primary doctor for a referral for psychological counseling. You may be at risk of anorexia, a severe condition that usually strikes around your age and can be deadly. We hear so much about how bad obesity is, but the fact is, being overweight does not kill, anorexia does (mortality is 4%). So, do take it seriously if you can't stop losing weight!
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Jun-19-16, 07:55

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud
Just pointing out that this is a 12 year old thread. Not sure how you came across it...? And tcastro has not visited the forum in 6 years. Still, a good answer.

Oops, wasn't looking at dates. Thanks for the heads-up, I won't hold my breath waiting for a reply..
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Jun-19-16, 11:10

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

I'm still low carbing and on induction levels and will be doing so forever! I've been doing it now for 13 years and will never stop. Interestingly, my body just stopped losing weight when I was around 127lbs. which was lighter than I'd aimed for, but fine. Its like when it reached the weight it wanted to be it stopped losing of its own accord. And yes, I had lost of people telling me that "oooh, dont lose anymore", but that was just because they were used to seeing me fat. I'm now a healthy UK size 10 - 12 and enjoy the other health benefits of not eating high carb stuff.

Jo xxx

nb - yes an old thread, but its of use still I guess!
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Jun-20-16, 10:31

BF:
Progress:

So doesn't it get boring after a couple of years with the restricted diet? 20g/day?! You must be very insulin-insensitive. I find carbs do make meals a lot more fun, I mean what's the point of living if there's no pudding?
I HOPE that once I've reached my goal wt of 100kg I can ease off to about 100g of carbs per day.
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Jun-20-16, 10:37
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

This thread is 12 years old. The OP is now 31 years old. LOL!

Last edited by Nancy LC : Mon, Jun-20-16 at 11:37.
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Jun-20-16, 10:39

Plan: Keto (LCHFMP) + IF
Stats: 265/188/150 Female 61 inches
BF:Highest weight 290
Progress: 67%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbadjon2
So doesn't it get boring after a couple of years with the restricted diet? 20g/day?! You must be very insulin-insensitive. I find carbs do make meals a lot more fun, I mean what's the point of living if there's no pudding?
I HOPE that once I've reached my goal wt of 100kg I can ease off to about 100g of carbs per day.

I went out to dinner last night and had some falling-of-the-bone dusted ribs (no sauce), a fantastic salad from the salad bar (bacon & cheese), with some buttered broccoli and zucchini -- wow, it doesn't get more fun than that! You have to start looking forward to what you can have, and it's pretty luxurious if you think about it.

I suggest you try to go cold turkey on the bread and sweets -- just do very low carb (under 20) for at least two weeks (only 1 ingredient foods). You may find that you lose your taste and your cravings for those things -- that's what happens to most people. Once you've changed your fuel to fat, rather than glucose, your body no longer wants that stuff -- it's really quite amazing.
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Jun-20-16, 15:28

Plan: mine
Stats: 222/185/143 Male 175
BF:
Progress:

no comment.
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Jun-20-16, 18:15

Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Pudding? Why? So we can keep thinking that we need sweet things?

My inner Carbie loves that idea, but the rest of me thinks it's not a great plan.
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Jun-21-16, 13:26

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by katmeyster
I suggest you try to go cold turkey on the bread and sweets -- just do very low carb (under 20) for at least two weeks (only 1 ingredient foods). You may find that you lose your taste and your cravings for those things -- that's what happens to most people. Once you've changed your fuel to fat, rather than glucose, your body no longer wants that stuff -- it's really quite amazing.

I've been there, done the ketosis thing. Wasn't fun at all, but it worked. Never lost my carb craving though. I've got to do it again to reach my goal wt. Cheating brings no change, which is only OK at the desired wt. Off bread for years btw.