Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-03, 09:37
Run Spot, run!

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 168/151/150 Female 67 inches
BF:32%/27ish%/21-25%
Progress: 94%
Default Just an observation....

I see so many people getting frustrated with the scale these days... and I wonder if all low carbers should abandon scale weight as the end all and be all measure of success and rely strictly on achieving a healthy body composition (BF%). Another bonus of body composition is that it takes into account your age - generally speaking, we can't hope to be as "unfat" at 50 as we could at 15. Body composition recognizes that - scale weight and insurance industry standards do not. I wonder how many people on this Forum have totally unrealistic weight goals? Unrealistic goals that are depressing them and defeating them and diminishing their quality of life?

Personally, I was terribly surprised that a healthy body composition (of about 22% -25% BF) puts me at about 155 lbs. of scale weight. The insurance industry guidelines tell me my medium frame has to carry around no more than 137 lbs.

Folks, that would require me having nearly an impossible and/or unhealthy standard of BF% - probably below 12% - or, worse yet, force me to go on a diet that relies on muscle wasting/depletion to yield results. Which slows down my metabolism. Which means I am always going to be fighting and struggling to maintain that artificially low, arbitrary and ultimately unhealthy weight. Why? Because even though I would be "right on" as far as the scale goes, overall, I would be closer to being "overfat." And that fat only burns about 3 calories whereas the lean muscle mass I gave up to achieve scale nirvana was burning 50.

And I don't want to do that. You shouldn't either.

From all my reading, studying and poking around on this Forum, I have realized that just like we have to abandon the low fat dieting principles, eschew the food pyramid guidelines, realize that calories work differently for LC-ers, learn that it is okay to drown veggies with butter and cream sauces, WE HAVE TO LEARN THE SCALE DOES NOT WORK FOR THIS WOE EITHER.

Your buddy who lost 100lbs. on a low fat diet might weigh less than you, but I wager that in the grand scheme of things, even at your current weight, your body is healthier and more efficient. Muscle weighs more than fat, is more metabolically advantageous and it does all of this for you while occupying a considerably smaller space. (Does anyone hear the tape measure calling to them yet?)

I know I don't wear my scale weight tattooed to my forehead, but I damn sure walk around in my body. That is what people see... not the stupid number my scale spits out every morning. And you know what? No one can see your scale weight either . But they can darn sure see your rapidly/slowly/steadily improving body composition. When you admire someone's figure do you do it because you know for sure that they weigh what the insurance industry says they should or because their figure is visually pleasing/healthy/proportionate?

That's why some days you wake up just feeling "thinner" - because you are! Then you jump on the scale and defeat the rush of joy that comes from those little victories. Learn to rely on your feelings of improvement rather than the scale (which by the way only measures the effect of gravity on your body, not how "fat" you are). Learn to take your measurements. Stand up tall - your grandmother was right - good posture does make you look about 10lbs thinner.

We've smashed the pyramid, now let's smash the scales!

Are you with me?

Last edited by lperk002 : Fri, Mar-28-03 at 09:38.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-03, 09:44
SPOILED

Plan: Atkins Life Maintenance!
Stats: 184/152/154 Female 173 cm/5,8
BF:In right places...
Progress: 107%

I'm with you. There is a lot of scale worship around here. I'm so sorry to see people who are doing just fine on this WOE and get depressed just because the scale shows the wrong number.

I can tell you one more thing: when I was weighting around 150 lbs (years ago!) I did not have a scale, I did not think all the time:" WOW, look at me, I weight 150!!! Am I not adorable?"
I just felt good and I want this feeling back. It will take time.
God, am I repeating myself.....

Great thread!

Alina
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-03, 10:04

Plan: LowCarb
Stats: 223/192.2/150 Female 5' 4"
BF:getting better
Progress: 42%

Well said!!!!

I don't own a scale myself, never wanted to be addicted to using it, and didn't want to know what I weighed most of the time, I do weigh myself here at work, but the scales are big (we make them here) and are in the lunch room, so I cannot weigh all the time anyhow, cause god knows I don't want someone to see But I do really agree that the numbers are not what is most important...I've had people say their weight, and I've said mine, and you ever get that "you don't look like you weigh that much"

You could take 2 people the exact same height, build, and weight, and they can look totally different. If one has a lot of muscle and the other has fat...there's the difference.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-03, 10:21

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Thumbs up Nicely said, Perk

This might be a good time to resurrect this thread...... no?

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...&threadid=35437

N
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-03, 11:18

Stats: 167/132/132 Female 5'6"
BF:

lperk002: You are right. I'm with you. After all, we have a daily check of how clothes are fitting. That should be enough. Thanks for your articulate, well thought out post.

Cindy
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-03, 12:02

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/152/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 110%

Totally agree that we all tend to pay too much attention to what the scales say, when what we should be concentrating on is body fat composition and our measurements. Also, equally important is how we actually 'feel'.

Little Anne highlighted a great site Set a Realistic Body Weight, which only proved to me yet again that I should go with how my clothes fit and their size, rather than a figure on the scales.

If you are interested, there's a 'throw away the scales' challenge:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...&threadid=92676

It's actually very liberating!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-03, 12:23

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

Great post, Lisa. My own original goal weight (125) was definitely not attainable without losing muscle mass, so it was out the window once I did more calculations. In fact, I'm not even sure I care about my current goal weight (135). I just care about being fit and healthy and eating food that my body likes, wants, and needs.

I actually swore off the scale for the month of March, but it didn't stick cause I had to document some experiments. Anyway, I give it little weight (pardon the pun ) because I'm much more concerned about how I look and feel.

I think it's sad how many unattainable weights are posted as goals. We should also make this thread a recommended reference: Using BF% as goal

Again, great post.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-03, 14:20

Plan: atkins
Stats: 354/233/200 Male 5 ft 11 in
BF:YES
Progress: 79%

Hi lisa,

Great thread. Terridoodle started a thread about 2 wks ago about not weighing for 1 month. I took the challenge and it's now been 13 days. I was tempted to weigh tomorrow which would be my normal weigh day but this thread has given me strength. I will not weigh again for another 2 wks and 1 day. I feel great. I know I haven't cheated and everyone tells me i look like i've lost more weight. Oh I have lost inches so who needs a scale. Thanks for the incouragement this thread has given me.

Jon

p.s. My goal weight of 230 is catuallly a bit high for my heigth of 5' 11"

Last edited by bigguyjonc : Fri, Mar-28-03 at 14:24.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-03, 16:54

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle II IS-BOAG
Stats: 174/155/120 Female 5'2"
BF:34%
Progress: 35%
Default insurance company guidelines

is it possible that the guidelines were setup when people did weigh less due to less food, less nutrient rich foods and worked physically/agrarian society?

my parents (depression era kids) said they never had enough food to eat and most of their friends did not either and they were more underweight. they had no access to vitamins or minerals or nutrients.

see - i can rationalize anything -HAH! we are not supposed to conform to insurance co charts that were setup many years ago.

ally
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Mar-29-03, 16:19
Reinventing Myself

Plan: Doctor's Plan
Stats: */*/* Female 5 ft 3 in
BF:
Progress: 77%

Hi Lisa-
Just wanted you to know I AM reading...
~Michelle
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Mar-29-03, 19:17

Plan: AtkinsMOD
Stats: 280/230/130
BF:
Progress: 33%

Wanted to let you know I agree!! There is scale worship at every LC board I visit and it is really heart wrenching to see these people do it to themselves and not take control over it. I refuse to own a scale, only weigh myself once or twice a month and love seeing the larger losses.

It also frees me from thinking that everything I eat may have stalled me

I know I am losing, and when I am at a weight I am comfy at, I will stop.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-03, 10:35
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:

AMEN! I've told this story before, but it's worth repeating: when I started some serious weight training last summer, I started out at 135 lbs. I progressed nicely, losing inches just about everywhere. Guess what? I didn't lose a pound. Then, I slacked off in fall for a several months. The inches crept back and I was puffy everywhere - all of my clothes were tighter again. But guess what? I didn't gain a pound. I've stayed between 134-137 all that time. <b>The scale doesn't tell you what's going on internally.</b>
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-03, 11:28
Registered Member

Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

Hey all...

I'm reading too...making a lot of sense here!

#14   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-03, 11:43

Plan: Weight Watchers (1/2008)
Stats: 264/214/185 Female 5' 9½"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I am a daily "weigh - er". Kind of keeps me aware that I am watching what I eat. Plus,it has been such a part of my morning routine for soooooo long.

Each morning I- get up, use the bathroom, discard my nightgown, and weigh "buck naked" (as if my nighty weighs that much

I do know, that I am wearing clothes in sizes I have not seen in years.

Jeans are my best gauge - but I don't think I can give up my scale. )Lucky me - it is a Dr's scale I inherited from my mom. (love those 1/4 pounds )
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-03, 13:20
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 305/240/165 Female 66
BF:55%/45%/20%
Progress: 46%

Thanks for a wonderful post, Lisa!! I can't wait for the day when people stop using faulty guidelines for this stuff, like the scale and the !~#%~ BMI nonsense.

The Insurance company guidelines are based on a statistical model, and it's only as "good" as what they based it on. Most things like that are NOT statistically sound (i.e. they're often based on a small population of upper-class, college-aged white men rather than a diverse, valid sample) or are just plain made up (like the BMI stuff). And yes, AllysonneV, they are not necessarily updated as populations change, and anyone who has ever been in an old house (say over 100 years) will notice that people were a LOT shorter then!

Furthermore, these things are never based on optimum health - they're based on mortality rates (which may or may not correlate with weight, but correlation does not equal causation), as they are intended to try and save the Insurance companies money! Bottom line is that these "guidelines" are better than nothing, but not by a whole lot!!!