Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-27-03, 07:56

Plan: atkins
Stats: 142/133.5/125
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default Meal Replacement Bars?

I've been low-carbing since August (and have been stuck since ... mid-August ) but I'm sticking with it. I travel fairly often, and have found that when I'm traveling I have the hardest time sticking with the program. So I thought that maybe I should get a few of the meal replacement bars for those times, and for emergencies when I don't have a chance to pick up a healthy lunch on work days. I went to GNC yesterday to look at the bars, and was surprised at how high in carbs they all seemed to be. Some would say "net carbs 2 grams!" but when you'd look on the back, they'd say something closer to 20 or even 30 carbs. I thought the whole net carb thing had to do with subtracting fiber, and these things were NOT high in fiber at all. Can someone clear this up for me?

Also, is there a brand that is especially good - as in low in carbs AND tasty?

thanks a million for any help!

kiwi
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-27-03, 08:05

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: Meal Replacement Bars?

Quote:
Originally posted by kiwi2

Also, is there a brand that is especially good - as in low in carbs AND tasty?
Unfortunately, not.

Net carbs, when dealing with fiber is one thing - usually relating to whole, natural foods. "Net carbs" when dealing with bars and other frankenfoods refers mostly to glycerine and sugar alcohols. Something that has been discussed ad nauseum on the boards. Try a search for "malitol" or 'sugar alcohols' and have a look under 'Low carb tips' for an article on Sugar Alcohols (atop every page in orange highlight).

Nat
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-27-03, 08:29

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%
Wink

I don't eat bars for two reasons: a) they taste awful - all of them and b) that despite being full of malitol and glycerine, my body counted all the carbs not the net.

If you are on the go and really need something for a snack and/or breakfast - do what I do - drink a shake. EAS and Atkins' shakes are the best (flavor wise). They are not gritty like SLim-Fast and I find that they are not bad in the taste department. The only thing is that they taste better cold - - actually both state that as "recommended to be cold". I have been using shakes and feel they have helped keep me on this WOE and kept me "full" especially in the mornings.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-27-03, 12:57

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 190/184/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 12%

Hi, yvonne - Out of curiosity, do you drink the shakes as a meal replacement everyday? I have a hard time eating breakfast every morning - wondering if drinking shakes instead might be the answer. Thanks!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-27-03, 13:27

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

I drink the shakes as breakfast most days and it fills me up till lunch and then I have a large salad with lots of good things in it (veggies, protein, cheese) and that keeps me going till dinner time when I have meat and veggie. I rarely snack these days and when I do feel the need to snack, I snack on raw veggies or a piece of cheese.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-27-03, 15:05

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 190/184/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default great!

Thanks for your reply, yvonne - I am going to introduce the shakes for breakfast now that I am out of Induction. Now the hunt for the best prices ...
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-03, 07:57

BF:

Thanks to everyone for their responses. Are the shakes sort of milky? I really can't stand milk, and so i'm thinking if they're like the old slim fast stuff, i wouldn't be able to deal with them.

kiwi
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-03, 08:24

BF:

A big thank you to Nat. Having read the bit on sugar alcohols in the low carb tips, i really don't think that taking these bars along on a fun/romantic weekend sounds like the best idea, if you catch my drift. Don't think the DH would find me at my sexiest sitting on the pot for half the weekend

however ... any other suggestions for a person stuck at a B&B, breakfast-wise? Am i better off just buying a somewhat high carb banana and eating that?

kiwi
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-03, 08:50

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

I'll bet if you are at a B&B, it wouldn't be out of line to ask for a couple eggs. It's not that hard for a cook to whip up a couple and usually B&B owners love to please.

And about the "pot" ( ) it's definitely a YMMV thing. I've found that effect with some sugar alcohols but not others. Might want to experiement when the hubby's away!
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-03, 11:16

BF:

Good point Angela - since I have a few days a week without the hub around, thats when I should see how the bars effect me. And you're probably right about the eggs - the only problem is .. i'm not much of an egg fan. I love them in frittattas and quiches, but just on their own ... eh. Before this WOE i almost never ate breakfast. I just don't find most breakfast foods very appealling.

kiwi
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-03, 11:28
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 195/183/135
BF:
Progress: 20%

I just got back from a week long stint at a B&B- and I had a scrambled egg every morning. Not glorious- but on the plan. I had to ask them to make the egs for me- maybe you could call ahead?
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-03, 14:25

BF:

Thanks Slack, yeah, I guess thats the best thing to do. I can certainly eat an egg or two for a couple of mornings. Definitely beats spending a romantic evening fighting off gas .

kiwi