Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-03, 21:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 312/266/150 Female 5'5''
BF:
Progress: 28%
Cool What About Emotional Eating?

What resources do you all recommend to help with emotional eating? This seems to be a biggie for me lately and I have no idea where to turn. I'm a compulsive overeater and food addict.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sheila
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-03, 22:03

Plan: Somersizing/Atkins
Stats: 251/245/165
BF:46
Progress: 7%

Hi Sheila,
I, too, am addicted to food. I know how hard it is to deal with emotional eating. A place I found to help lend some support is at recoverygroup.org. I haven't been to the site in a while but, from what I remember they have online meetings along with supportive message boards. If for any reason that web site address doesn't work, try this one. (http://recovery.hiwaay.net/) Hope you find this helpful!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-27-03, 01:00
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

It does help to low-carb, but you can still compulsively overeat...

Have you checked out Overeaters Anonymous? There are probably meetings where you live. This thread also delves into some of the issues of compulsive overeaters and many people have found it quite enlightening.

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-03, 15:20

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 169/154/150
BF:
Progress: 79%
Default An interesting article on emotional eating

http://www.lowcarb.ca/tips/tips007.html

I guess we all have to become aware of what pushes our "buttons" that sends us running for food to soothe ourselves.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 10:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 144/140/125 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 21%

I have found myself snacking even more while on this diet! I am not overweight by anymeans, but i find my self continually sneaking food so my husband doesn't see (he always yells at me for eating especially and hour after a large dinner) I think I pretty much eat when I am bored, or even when there is just food around. Luckily, I rarely "cheat" and eat carbs, more that I just eat a ton of food and feel really bad about what I have done. I think before you count my binging, I estimate I eat probably 1700 cal a day, but then pack in another 500-700 some nights, and Im not really hungry. I have ate like this forever, never been over weight, and even spoke to a dr. a few years ago who dismissed this as I had not gained any weight. Thank god I work out alot and have a fast metabalism, or I would easily be 200 lbs (if not more.) It felt really good to say this. Thanks for listening!