Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-03, 12:19
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 148/143.8/125
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default I Wanted Toast!

I'm in my third week, and the only thing I've missed is some toast for breakfast. I've stuck to basic eggs (in all forms), bacon, sausage, occasionally a mock danish.

Since I've moved up to 25 carbs now, I blew 23 on a piece of high fiber bread yesterday morning (not a health bread, but some really good kind we get at Sam's Club).

Stayed pretty much okay the rest of the day, altho I did exceed my carb count a little.

The only complaint (and it's minor) is that I'm the kind of person who likes breakfast food for breakfast, so this is the only boring part of the diet. I'm eating salad, meat and a vegetable for dinner, have only had an occasional bar, and two shakes. 3# loss so far.

Any suggestions for a little different breakfast? (I'll be glad when I get get a little oatmeal).
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-03, 12:23
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 223/193/185
BF:
Progress: 79%

I found Nature's Own low carb bread (5 net per slice) at my local grocery story (Publix). I, like you, missed my toast.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-03, 12:35

Plan: Atkins Diet
Stats: 179/134/135
BF:
Progress: 102%

Since you're past Induction, you could add an ocassional Atkins muffin. There are several varieties of Atkins Muffin/Bread Mixes. I've tried the Blueberry (3g net carbs), Banana Nut (2g net carbs), & Lemon Poppy (3g net carbs). The lemon poppy are my favorite- very sweet almost like cake. The banana nut is my next best, followed by the blueberry. Slather them with butter and they're a good breakfast alternative with some bacon or sausage as a side. You can find the mixes at GNC or on-line, & maybe another store which carries the Atkin's line. You don't have to make the whole box for 18 muffins, there are directions on the back for making them in batches of 6. Keep them in the fridge, so they stay fresh longer. Good luck.
God Bless,
Amy-Lynne
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-03, 12:57

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 135/123.0/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%
Default KETO Hot Cereal

You could always try the KETO hot cereal. I use the apple cinnamon flavor. I know other posters did not like the old fashioned oatmeal flavor. I also use about 6 oz. water (twice as much as the directions call for otherwise, it's a solid mess). The ECC is 3g per serving (each serving is made w/2 scoops and the can contains 9 servings although I can seem to get 7 out of the can).
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-03, 13:05

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

Flax-o-meal can also be quite tasty with some Splenda, cream, and butter. Only three effective carbs per serving. Now that you're past induction you can start looking at the speciality products.

A piece of toast is not worth those carbs, especially considering that you must take into account not only your total carbs for the day, but how the GI might cause insulin reactions. Eating all of your carbs at one meal can inhibit your losses just as much as eating way over your limit.

Hope you find some good breakfasts. I also like cottage cheese or yogurt with Splenda in it for breakfast.