Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-25-03, 17:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/225/135 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Someone HELP! Please

O.k. I think that I just screwed up and want to make sure. I had for lunch today a yogurt. (low-fat because that was all there was) I had this because I thought that I had read that it was o.k. Well, I get home and get on this site and see that it should have been full flavor. I looked at the nutrition and it said 32 g carbs 28 sugar so without even thinking I subtracted the sugar and thought wow 4 grams I can have this. Now I realize, I think, that I can't subtract the sugar. Right? I know that I should know this, but believe it or not I eat mostly natural foods and I don't usually have anything with sugar in it. I guess I know I messed up and just want someone to confirm it. Darn it. I have been doing so well to.

Thanks to anyone who cares to confirm my total stupidity. Guess I'll know better next time. And the kicker in all this, I HATE yogurt but my son had some and it smelled so good I tasted it and loved it.

Lisa
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-25-03, 18:01
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

Hi Ruby,

I'm not doing Atkins right now so I can't positively answer, I think that full fat yogurt is ok as long as you are not on induction but it should be sugar free - that would mean the plain unflavoured yogurt - or flavoured with nutrasweet if you are ignoring the anti-sweetner belief. There is quite a long thread about yogurt on link below - maybe you will find your answer there.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...&threadid=81871

Last edited by KoKo : Tue, Mar-25-03 at 18:24.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-25-03, 18:06
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

You didn't mention whether this was plain non-fat yogurt or flavored yogurt. It looks like you had flavored yogurt (with sugar).
Nope, you can't subtract the sugar. You are thinking of subtracting fiber.

If so, don't cry over spilt yogurt.

Wanda

oops, posted at the same time as Koko

Last edited by wcollier : Tue, Mar-25-03 at 18:08.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-25-03, 18:24
"Natural Mystic"

Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

Hi rugby, koko and wanda!

According to Atkins, on Induction:
You must not eat any of the following:

Sugar (in any form, including corn syrup, honey and maple syrup)
Milk or yogurt (cream is allowed in limited amounts)
Fruit and fruit juice
Flour products (breads, pasta, crackers, etc.)
Grains or cereals
Beans and legumes
Starchy or high-sugar vegetables (potatoes, yams, corn, peas, parsnips, beets, carrots)
Sweet condiments (such as most ketchups, barbeque sauce and balsamic vinegar)
French dressing, Thousand Island dressing (check labels for carb count)
Cottage cheese, farmer's cheese and other fresh cheeses
Nuts and seeds

Check out this link. Atkins 101 Part 2

Hey you made a mistake, it's okay.

Peace
red

Last edited by red1cutie : Tue, Mar-25-03 at 18:25.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-25-03, 18:36

Stats: 235/225/130
BF:
Progress: 10%

Yeah, you screwed up, but it's ok.........you've been doing good. And you will continue to. It gets confusing sometimes.....but, I'm sure you'll watch it next time! Hang in there! KC
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-25-03, 18:45
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Smile Don't be hard on yourself

Since low carbing is a way of life not just a diet, learning from our mistakes, accidently included.
Live and learn. You will find many things while low carbing, things that will work for you and things that don't.
We are all learning.
Keep up your good work, this is only a minor.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-25-03, 19:01

BF:

Thanks everyone!

I've been off induction for about 6 weeks so I'm up to 30 carbs a day. I had ham slices for breakfast, the BAD yogurt for lunch a small salad for snack and a steak for dinner. So, I'm not too far off carb wise. About 10 extra. Could be worse. Guess that I will stay away from the stuff. It's a bummer to because it was raspberry and boy was it good.

Your right I will definitely check and then double check next time I'm not sure. I feel so stupid because I know better. Sugar is a no-no at all times. Like you said live and learn.

Lisa
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Mar-25-03, 19:20
Stepford Malfunction

Hi Red,

I had just noticed that I made a typo and had left the NOT out of the sentence I said on induction when I really meant Not On Induction.... I am sometimes too fast at typing for my own good.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Mar-25-03, 19:23
Stepford Malfunction

ps to the following - why should I edit when I can earn another point with a whole new post?????

I editited the first one. Oh this is good, I got 3 more points....I am lafffing.. Now I will post again to correct my spelling error, I need Big Guy Jon to slap me face and make me stop. I am laffing out of control and that is trouble
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Mar-25-03, 19:25
Stepford Malfunction

scuzzey - I meant the previous - in the previous post when I said the following. Where is jon with that face slap for me???
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Mar-25-03, 22:24
Registered Member

Stats: 275/241/140
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default read this and I think you will feel much better

I don't think this is something to stress about. You will want to stick with a lower carb yogurt (full fat). Yogurt is great for your digestive tract. I think you made a relatively smart choice if yogurt was your only option. Read the following if you haven't already its full of great info. Yogurt is not the enemy! As long as you off induction. And you digestive tract will thank you!

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...ighlight=yogurt

Consider making you own raspberry yogurt. I am going to for breakfast, can't wait. I just bought a big container TODAY plain full fat will add my own sweetner and some crushed berries. YUMMY!

The best to you Ellen

Reread the post and oopps!
I see that the link is already posted above obviously I need to go to bed. Sorry to be redundent

Last edited by geel : Tue, Mar-25-03 at 22:30.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-03, 00:07
Registered Member

Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

Yogurt confuses me too... ugh!

But you are doing so well...should be no prob in the longrun... and closer towards goal weight, many include a little yogurt for the nutritional content...sugar free of course!

#13   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-03, 00:29
Registered Member

Stats: 290/280/180
BF:
Progress: 9%
Default yogurt

Hey, we all make mistakes. I went to the cafateria for lunch today, and thought "I'll get stirfry without the rice, I can have some veggies and it will be good" Well, the guy that cooks them knows me, and up to...yesterday when I started Atkins, I would always have stirfry sauce on my stirfry. It'll probably be ok again once I get out of induction, but he poured it on before I realized what he was doing, so I had to add 4 carbs to my daily total.... which totally changed my dinner plans
Ah well, like everyone else here has said, live and learn
Just think, even with that yogurt, you had way fewer carbs that day than you would have had with a 20 ounce of non-diet soda
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-03, 09:30

BF:

Thanks all for making me feel better. I guess it just goes to show that no matter how long you have been on this WOL you have to be aware.

I am going to go to Wal-Mart and get some full fat yogurt today. I will mix it with the raspberries I have and add some splenda. I just hope it tastes as good as the Dannon I had. I enjoyed it so much! This coming from a person that has hated yogurt her whole life. I just can't stand the taste. Hopefully mixing in some berries and the juice as well as the splenda will be enough to make it taste good.

Oh, and you are so right LizzyKitty. A soda would have been a disaster. I use to be a caffein free diet pepsi junky. Have not had one in weeks. They cause a water retention weight gain for days.

Geel & KoKo, I read that thread. Thanks. It was very informative. I will start adding a little yogurt if I can get it to taste good.

Happy LCing everyone.

Lisa
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-03, 09:50
Registered Member

Plan: modified CDK
Stats: 182/174/168 Male 69 inches
BF:19%/17%/15%
Progress: 57%
Default Yogurt

Even unsweetened, plain, yogurt made from whole milk has 11.5 grams of carbohydrates per cup.