Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-25-03, 15:53

Plan: WebMD w/LC choices
Stats: 322/297/199 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 20%
Question Hershey's SF Chocolates

I was wondering about the new sugar free products (Reese's PB Cups, Mini light & dark chocolate bars) that Hersey's has come out with. I had some of the SF Reese's PB Cups and thought I had died and gone to heaven. However, I endulged in this 'guilty' pleasure w/out fully knowing what their sweetener/additive was. Has anyone else seen these? If so, what are your thoughts?

I should have checked these things more thoroughly before I ate them, but I was sooooo tempted. Blasted cravings.

Happy LCing!
Nikki

PS- I couldn't find anything about these new products on their website.

Last edited by Tiggerdy : Tue, Mar-25-03 at 15:56.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-25-03, 16:22

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

oh NO! This is going to be the death of me. Do the Reese's really taste like Reese's? Oh mee oh my.

I'll bet you my savings account that it's maltitol, which we know is a YMMV thing. I will unfortunately be on the lookout for these devils in disguise.

NOoooooo!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-25-03, 17:11
Registered Member

Plan: common sense low carb
Stats: 165/160/135
BF:
Progress: 17%

I don't know about the Hershey's sugar free candy, but I have tried to Russell Stover sugar free candies (peanut butter cups, mint patties, and Turtles). I was disappointed to discover after reading the nutrition information that these products still have carbs! And, worse of all, they contain hydrogenated oils - an Atkins' no-no.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-25-03, 17:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 452/386/200 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 26%

Actually it's not maltitol.... I don't remember exactly what it is but I will look when I get home. They are very good, but the sugar alcohol they are using probably does have the same effect that maltitol does.

PS.. They PB cups taste very much like a full sugar PB cup....

Mark
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-25-03, 18:52
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Any news?

The only sugarfree listed on the Hershey's website at www.hersheys.com (so far) is the Jolly Rancher hard candy.

An ingredient list (it's on every package) would be really really nice to have here .....
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-25-03, 20:31

Stats: 452/386/200 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 26%

Hi Island Girl

It is lactitol..

The ingredients on the package are:

Reese sugar free peanut butter cups:
lactitol, peanuts, chocolate, cocoa butter, cornstarch, peanut oil, milkfat, contains less than 2% of polydextrose, partially hydrogenated soybean and cottonseed oils, salt, cream, soy lecithin, and pgpr, as emulsifiers, natural and artificial flavor, tbhq, a preservative, and sucralose.

Nutition facts:
serving 5 pieces
calories 170 from fat 110
total fat 12g
cholesterol less than 5mg
sodium 125mg
total carb 25g
figer 1g
sugar 0g
sugar alcohol 19g
protein 2g

sugar free hersheys with almonds:
lactitol, chocolate, cocoa butter, almonds, cream, polydextrose, milkfat, containse less than 2% of soy lecithin, and PGPR as emulsifiers, vanillin, an artificial flavor, and sucralose.

Nutririon facts:
servin 5 pieces
calories 180, from fat 130
total fat 14g, sat 7g
cholesterol 5mg
sodium 10mg
Total carb 23g
fiber 3g
sugars 0
sugar alcohol 19g
protein 2 g

Hope this helps....

Mark
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-03, 02:10
Registered Member

Talking

You're a gem, Mark, and thank you.

That's excellent information, and hey, it's nice to see a Yuper here!

"If they don't find you handsome, they should find you handy" {Red Green}

Last edited by IslandGirl : Wed, Mar-26-03 at 02:12.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-03, 03:32

Stats: 232/205/147 Female 73"
BF:
Progress: 32%

We don't have them in the UK yet and I love Reeses PB cups and Pieces and Hershey's Cookies 'n' Creme bars and all that

Can't wait for them to be released here, if they ever will be!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-03, 04:55
CAD for life

Plan: Atkins/CAD
Stats: 193/163.5/125 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 43%
Default Wow

I haven't seen these yet but I am going to be on the look out...and Mark is that right you get 5 peices? are they smaller than normal Reeces cups?

This could be the best thing since Le CArb low carb frozen ice cream that they sell at Walmart here...mmm
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-03, 11:06

BF:
They are about the same size as the mini Reese's PB cups and they taste sooooooo darn close to the full sugar ones it almost feels like cheating!!! BTW- I bought mine at Walgreens.

Thanks for all the info Mark!! I threw the dang wrapper away before I thought about asking the forum about them.

I can't have these little things all the time, but they're nice for a treat and I don't have the nasty reaction that I had when I tried 2 of the Russell Stover SF Turtles. Not fun.

Thanks guys and happy LCing!!

Nikki
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-03, 15:21
Getting Healthy!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 213/169/166 Female 5' 8.5"
BF:
Progress: 94%
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally posted by Tiggerdy
I can't have these little things all the time, but they're nice for a treat and I don't have the nasty reaction that I had when I tried 2 of the Russell Stover SF Turtles.

This is definitely a Your Mileage May Vary thing. The SF Russell Stover chocolates, which are sweetened with maltitol, don't give me any gastric distress. The SF Reeses peanut butter cups, which are sweetened with lactitol, give me great gastic distress. Dietwise, maybe this is for the best for me because those Reese cups tasted very good and could have been addicting if they hadn't made my tummy so miserable.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-03, 15:28

Plan: formerly Atkins
Stats: 350/232/225 Female 5' 8"
BF:mooooo/moo/buff
Progress: 94%

I had 3 of the mini Hershey bars and 2 of the PB cups last night. I figured it was Saturday, if they made me sick, I had time to deal with it! They didn't make my stomach sick at all, like maltitol does. They taste great, hard to stop at a few pieces though. I found mine at the grocery store, I wasn't even looking for them, they had a display and I said "ooooooh, gotta try these!" Yum!
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-03, 17:30
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 163/156/120 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 16%

Just want to get something straight.

Nutition facts:
serving 5 pieces
total fat 12g
sodium 125mg
total carb 25g
figer 1g
sugar 0g
sugar alcohol 19g
protein 2g

So total net carbs would be 5.

You take the Total Carb minus the fiber and sugar alcohol, right?

Also where are you guys buying this stuff? I live in a major city and have not seen these anywhere.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-03, 20:16

BF:
That's how it works! But a word of warning, like CarolynC mentioned, these goodies are a YMMV kinda thing. They may or may not have an effect on your blood sugar/digestive system and they can (and do) cause stalls in some people. It's basically a 'try and see' experiment to determine whether or not you're affected.

As for where to find them, I purchased mine at Walgreen's drug store (I'm in NW Indiana- approx. 45 min. outside of Chicago). I have yet to see them in any other stores around (ie- Wal-Mart, Jewel/Albertson's, K-Mart, etc.).

HTH-

Nikki
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-03, 21:54
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by secret
Nutition facts:
serving 5 pieces
total fat 12g
sodium 125mg
total carb 25g
fiber 1g
sugar 0g
sugar alcohol 19g
protein 2g

So total net carbs would be 5. You take the Total Carb minus the fiber and sugar alcohol, right?

Depends on the method you choose. SOME people deduct Sugar Alcohol carbs in their entirety (and they may not be sensitive to them in any way), others count them in full (they have demonstrable blood sugar rises after sugar alcohol ingestion), many - like me - use the Hidden Carbs Inspector to calculate 'net' or 'effective' carbs based on the calorie value, the theory being that fat grams provide ~9calories/gram, protein grams provide ~4calories/gram and that leaves EFFECTIVE carbs at ~4 calories per gram.

Easy: total calories minus 4 times protein grams minus 9 times fat grams equals leftover calories, divide that by 4 and you get EFFECTIVE carbohydrate grams.

See the Hidden Carbs Inspector quick link over on the right of your screen if you want to do a fast and easy version of this with really detailed numbers.

There's LOTS of discussion here in the Products forum about Hidden Carbs and Sugar Alcohols, and some excellent articles you can read from the orange menu bar above, select TIPS.

Enjoy.