Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 08:28

Plan: low carb/low sugar
Stats: 152/149/135
BF:?
Progress: 18%
Question raw eggs????????

HI!
I had a question...who here does NOT have a problem eating raw eggs? I know there are concerns with salmonella. I know that in the S.P.--she says you don't have to include this if you have concerns eating the egg raw. What are your opinions?
Angie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 13:33

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 169/154/150
BF:
Progress: 79%
Default Raw eggs

Not for me!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 15:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/225/130
BF:
Progress: 10%

I don't have any problem with raw eggs (like in a shake) But, not Alone! Maybe I'm too trusting...but I kind of feel that with technology, etc. that we're pretty much protected today...at least I hope so! Good Luck!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 18:05

Plan: TSP
Stats: 147/147/135 Female 5'2"
BF:?/?/?
Progress: 54%

Just about any ? one would have about eggs can be answered at http://www.aeb.org/

the american egg board

I think that for egg whites the dried canned egg whites would be safe, I am not certain about the nutrition but I do not think they have additives (such as 'Just Whites') I know when I want a quick 'dessertish' treat I whip some up and sweeten with stevia , a little honey, & flavoring, or have used other non TSP sweeteners (I wouldn't serve it to guests either -- not terribly clever ) and to be an approved TSP snack it would have to include other things-- but it works for me sometime , is fast, & protien.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-25-03, 07:01
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 171/154/150 Female 5'9"
BF:??/18.8/??
Progress: 81%

I watch alot of Food TV and one of my favorite chefs, Sara Moulton has more than once said that the chance of a contaminated egg is 1 in 10,000 and that it really isn't a problem for most consumers (that aren't immune impaired) but is more of a problem in commercial kitchens, where they breaks tens of dozens of eggs at a time and mix them all up. Based on that, I'm fine with raw eggs in things I and my husband eat at home, but not for my infant daughter.

Thanks for the link, Rosarugosa. Here's what that page has to say:

Quote:
Scientists estimate that, on average across the U.S., only 1 of every 20,000 eggs might contain the bacteria. So, the likelihood that an egg might contain Se is extremely small – 0.005% (five one-thousandths of one percent). At this rate, if you’re an average consumer, you might encounter a contaminated egg once every 84 years.

The "bacteria" and "Se" referred to are Salmonella.

Sunski
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-25-03, 11:03

Plan: Schwarzbein and Zone (love Dr. Weil too!)
Stats: 155/146/145
BF:???
Progress: 90%

You can buy pasturized raw eggs at the market. That would solve all concerns.....
Carole
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-03, 17:29

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle II IS-BOAG
Stats: 174/155/120 Female 5'2"
BF:34%
Progress: 35%
Default frequently

i frequently eat raw eggs - not alone, but in hollandaise sauce and other dressings.

our eggs come from either a local woman when the hens are laying in good weather, or the grocery store. hoping to get my own chickens this year--but it may not be in the cards.

ally
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-03, 20:53
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/BFL
Stats: 200/195/150
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default Eggs in Salad Dressings

I know a lot of the SP recipes use eggs in the Salad Dressings. Does anyone know if it's okay to make up a couple of days worth or does it need to be made fresh each time??
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 20:56

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle, but thinking of changing to Atkins
Stats: 225/235/150
BF:42%
Progress: -13%
Default Do Not Eat Raw Egg Whites

The risk of salmonella in raw eggs is very minimal, but raw egg whites bind protien so that it is not absorbable. For those of us on High protien diets, this is counterproductive. In recepies calling for raw eggs, I use the yolk only - reserving the whites for cooking. I think if you will look at Schwarzbein's cookbook, the recepies calling for raw eggs specify using the yolk instead of the whole egg.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Apr-21-03, 20:24

Plan: Schwarzbein II, BA, IS
Stats: 125.4/119.2/115 Female 5'1" small frame
BF:33% /??? / 20%?
Progress: 60%

I'm with Allysonne - I get my eggs from people down the road so they are super fresh. I might worry a BIT otherwise. When you get really fresh eggs, you realize how old the ones at the supermarket must be - which is probably still not a real problem.