Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 11:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 284/210/185 Male 6'3
BF:
Progress:
Default Smoking

Have any of you tried to quit smoking while on Atkins? If so, how did it work out in terms of weight loss? Did it stall you for a bit? or did you continue with business as usual in your weight loss?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 11:14
SPOILED

Plan: Atkins Life Maintenance!
Stats: 184/152/154 Female 173 cm/5,8
BF:In right places...
Progress: 107%

Hi,

I'm a fellow smoker LOL!
Here's my story: on induction I get rid of all my cravings, including cravings for nicotine. I was shocked and happy, went down from 25/day to 5-6. After two more weeks those cravings came back, I upped a little. Right now I try to stay under 10/day which is fine for me. Hope to kick it eventually. As for the weight, no impact observed. That's me...hope you can cut down or quit if that's what you want. Good luck to you!
Hope to see you back soon!
Alina
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 11:53
Registered Member

Stats: 169/156/135
BF:40.5/36/25
Progress: 38%

Hi Evenflo -

I'm one who did both at the same time - started Atkins and quit smoking the same day. Here's what I've found:

1. Nicotine cravings greatly reduced by low carbing. Carb and nicotine cravings feel VERY similar to me.

2. Weight loss quite slow (see my stats), lots of stalls, BUT it's going in the right direction and I feel great.

I started on the patch and am down to chewing one or two pieces of nic gum a day. Every day gets better.

Good luck -
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 12:15
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

I quit at the new year myself.

I can't say that I have lost any weight since then but I am still losing inches which I much prefer.

I have lost 2 inches around my waist just this past month and am starting to see some bag in my size 10's. Almost at goal and if the scale doesn't agree.... it can bite me! LOL!!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 14:48

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2
Progress: 0%

I tried to quit 100%, but decided I'd fail at everything if I tried too much at once (weight loss, no alcohol, exercise, no cigs). So the weightloss was first on the agenda as was the booze (can't drink and loose weight), then I joined Curves - the funny thing that without even thinking about I seemed to cut down - I now smoke around 6 cigs a day (if that) and about 10 on weekends.

Vikki
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 17:53

Stats: 196/179/164 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 53%

I quit smoking myself about 3 months ago. I never thought I would be able to do it - I was smoking over a pack and a half a day. Then someone recommended the Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking book, I picked it up at the bookstore for like $8 (thinking the whole time that it was never going to work for me) and it totally did. No cravings, no withdrawls, no weightgain - nothing. I passed it on to several friends I know, and all together, there are about 10 of us that have quit. It would be worth a try for anyone that is looking to try something that isn't prescription, or patches. Another fantastic plus - he encourages you to keep smoking while reading the book - which makes it a little less scary! Good luck to everyone, no matter what method you use! I feel almost like an infomercial, lol - but it really did work for me
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 20:31

Plan: Skinny Me Diet
Stats: 345/212.5/210 Male 6'4
BF:
Progress: 98%

Tuesday will be 4 weeks without smoking for me and about 3 months on Atkins.

I gained between 2 and 5 lbs when I quit smoking, not sure really exactly how much. I have since lost that weight back but I have been sitting at around 290 EVER since I quit smoking. Some people say my body is just adjusting, but the simple fact is quitting has stalled me

I don't let it bother me though because since I quit my blood pressure is now NORMAL for the first time in over 5 years, and I can exercise for long periods of time withotu coughing and feeling out of breath.

In the long run I know it was the right thing to do, because eventually my body will adjust to me not smoking and combined with my ability to exercise easier, the weight will start moving again.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Mar-25-03, 07:35

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:

I'm like Vikki. I had to decide what I wanted to change first--my diet (to LCing), exercise or quitting smoking. I decided to change them in that order, actually! I've been LCing since Jan 14th, exercising regularly since end of Jan-beginning of Feb. BUT, I haven't bitten the bullet and quit smoking yet. I've actually smoked MORE since I started LCing (I guess psychologically I'm 'depriving' myself of one thing so dammit, I'll have the other???). I plan to go on Wellbutrin once I feel I've gotten my weight to an acceptable place (maybe around 170?).

I've noted the name of Allen Carr's book and will check it out, tho.

Thanks for asking this question. It seems that being a smoker nowadays is worse than being a drug dealer or child molester. Notice the evil looks and negative reactions from people?? Sometimes makes me stubborn (*bleep* you, I'll smoke if I want) but other times realizing that I don't want to be ostrasized (on top of the million other reasons to quit).

I guess it comes down to being scared to quit.

Sorry to ramble on at you....

Nicole
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Mar-25-03, 07:43

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2

Nikkil - I tried Wellbutrin (Zyban) for a while - I had really bad "cotton mouth" as a side effect. If you are going on Wellbutrin, make sure you ask your doc to prescribe Zyban (it's the same drug). Our drug plans in Canada won't cover Wellbutrin because it's for smoking cesstation, whereas Zyban is an anti-depressant. Just though you'd like to know.

Vikki
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Mar-25-03, 07:43

Stats: 151/128/110 Female 5'1.5"
BF:Yes
Progress: 56%

I went 4 days without smoking and then had a few during a stressful momement at home but for the most part my crave for smoking is almost completely gone.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Mar-25-03, 09:03

Plan: Skinny Me Diet
Stats: 345/212.5/210 Male 6'4
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Nikkil - I tried Wellbutrin (Zyban) for a while - I had really bad "cotton mouth" as a side effect. If you are going on Wellbutrin, make sure you ask your doc to prescribe Zyban (it's the same drug). Our drug plans in Canada won't cover Wellbutrin because it's for smoking cesstation, whereas Zyban is an anti-depressant. Just though you'd like to know.

You got it backwards Zyban is the smoking cessation drug, and wellbutrin is the anti-depression drug. It is like that here in the US too, almost no insurance plans will cover Zyban but will pay for Wellbutrin.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Mar-25-03, 13:03

Stats: 196/179/164 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 53%

I live in Vancouver, and my plan will cover my wellbutrin (which is an antidepressant with a side effect of stopping smoking cravings). My plan wouldn't cover Zyban though.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Mar-25-03, 17:45
Vorsicht! heiß

Plan: SureSlim Wellness Clinic
Stats: 225.6/188.8/160 Female 5'8
BF:34%/24%/24%
Progress: 56%

I have quit 3 month ago. I have since lost 8 pounds..not a lot but then again better then gaining weight. Weight loss is slow..but I am a non smoker. Quit cold turkey and from Dec. 18th on whined day by day in my journal

Good luck to anyone..it's doable

I am a non-smoker for: 3 Months 1 Week 5 Hours 17 Minutes 33 Seconds
Cigarettes not smoked: 1263
Money saved: C$458.15
Life saved: 1 Wk 1 Day 18 Hrs 38 Mins 40 Secs
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-03, 02:48

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:

Love your post, Mischa!! Good for you!!

Nicole
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-03, 08:21

Stats: 145/128.5/125
BF:
Progress: 83%
Default quiting

I quit smoking about 2-3 months before I started Atkins (started atkins about 1 month ago). I am really glad I didn't start both at once. My sugar/caffeine withdrawal the first few days of induction was HORRIBLE. I felt terrible for three days, and had headaches for a week! If I had tried to quit smoking at the same time, I would have given up! For me, it really works better to get rid of one bad habit (or start one new good habit) at a time. If I do to many things at once, I get frustrated.
Quitting smoking has definitely made me feel better, and I don't smell like smoke all the time. Very worth it!
Next goal: start exercising, darn it!

-Angie