Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-24-15, 09:02

Plan: atkins
Stats: 150/150/120 Female 5 3"
BF:
Progress:
Default Ketosis and I gain weight?

This is sooooo wrong!!! I am hoping that it is what that time of month used to be. I still get pms symtoms, but haven't had a period in a few months.... or our no crust or sauce pizza we ate last night. Put my jeans on that I wore last weekend and could hardly wear them!!! (Not that they were loose before, but they didn't feel like this...!!!) Uggggg
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-24-15, 09:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 172/161/148 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 46%

I don't want to get too nosey here but I was just trying to get the facts. Do you typically miss periods? If so hormone imbalances can cause weight issues. It could be just fluid retention? Sorry I'm probably not much help, just throwing ideas out there
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jul-24-15, 10:19

Plan: VLC/Carnivore
Stats: 369/301/299 Female 5'9"
BF:too much.
Progress: 97%

With a missed period and tight jeans - maybe a pregnancy test is in order?
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jul-24-15, 12:02

BF:
Progress:

lolol!!!!! Well I am 52 and have my tubes tied...ha...good one.... I am really just wondering since I have started missing periods...it seems I still have the symtoms of swelling, snappyness and craziness...lol.....
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-24-15, 12:06

BF:

Ahh, I see so maybe hormones? I have PCOS and it throws my cycles and hormones into a tailspin. I have trouble losing weight unless I do the low carb because the PCOS causes insulin resistance. This is the only lifestyle for me and my lovely jacked up hormones HAHA! May want to discuss hormone meds or options with the Dr?? Or get some bloodwork done to see if anything is off. I am having to go back on birth control just to get my cycles back to normal. We have 3 kids and we are so done lol but I am tired of crazy periods and spotting in between cycles.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-24-15, 12:23

BF:
Progress:

Well I am hoping that the missed periods will be forever....ha!!! But the symtoms should too!!! ugg So yeah I do break out in sweats in the days and the nights!!. ...yuck... Does everyone have to take hormones when you go through this menopause thing?
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jul-24-15, 16:58

BF:

I'm not exactly sure on that one, but I do know my step-mom doesn't take them and she seems to do ok but my mom takes them and swears by them. She was having horrible symptoms, hot flashes, sweating, cranky, oh boy was she cranky lol. But since she has been on them she feels like a new woman But they may not be for everyone. My step-mom said she heard they can cause cancer so she refused them. I don't know if they really do, anymore everything causes cancer according to the news
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jul-24-15, 21:27

Plan: Banting
Stats: 150/132/132 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Menopause is famous for causing non-rational weight gain, along with all kinds of other lovely symptoms (welcome to the he// that is menopause!). I would highly suggest getting a saliva hormone test, so you at least have some idea of where you are at. If the symptoms are extremely uncomfortable for you, then yes, I would consider hormone replacement. I'm sold on bio-identicals, but it's difficult to find a regular doctor that deals with those. There really is a dearth of information and help out there for those of us who are "hormonally challenged"!
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jul-25-15, 03:53

Plan: Ketogenic now
Stats: 277/121/125 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

I took compounded bio identical hormone replacement for four years (after waiting two years in horrible symptoms )

When you see 'HRT' that means test tube, synthetics OR conjugated pregnant mare urine. I didn't want that.. that CAN cause cancer. If you see BHRT or bio identical HRT..that's from plants.

I wanted the SAME identical hormones I'd always had in my body.. so I went to a doctor and got transdermal (rub on skin or use vaginally).

You might do a search for either 'Anti aging doctors' in your area, OR "BioTe pellet doctors'.. or 'Bio identical hormone replacement in your area.

BTW.. speaking of 'regular doctors' who 'deal with that'.. there are now quite a few brands of bio identicals on the market. Prometrium (oral progesterone) or estradial (that's bio identical estrogen) in patches or rub ons.. ask your doctor.. and search for brand names of prescription BIO IDENTICALS.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jul-25-15, 20:49

Plan: IF dairy-free keto ish
Stats: 175/175/170 Male 71
BF:
Progress: 0%

What caloric deficit are you running?
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jul-27-15, 10:19

BF:
Progress:

Thanks, I fasted the next day and felt better, maybe lost some water. I look up docs, I wonder if insurance covers them...

Thanks!!!
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jul-28-15, 03:57

Plan: Ketogenic now
Stats: 277/121/125 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

My insurance at the time covered the doctor visits and all the tests, and paid also for my NON compounded hormones. Back then there were NO bio identical hormones developed under brand name.. now there is.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jul-28-15, 09:27

BF:
Progress:

Thanks Pam!

Have you heard anything about this? I posted it on another thread. And oh my gosh! My Armour is getting expensive!!

Well I stumbled on this.... I take Armour Thyroid medicine and have been having a time with my weight. Changing nothing and gaining some. I was losing at the end of last year....very little, but still. Anyway, I am not the only one....this sucks! Oh and Allergan now owns them. below is a consumer affair link with others commenting...

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/rx/armour.html

This is Allergans website showing they have Armour now. But I just looked at Forest Labs site and they say they have plenty.

http://www.allergan.com/products/ke...ory=-1&group=-1
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jul-28-15, 10:00

Plan: IF, LCHF
Stats: 175/110/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 130%

It has been 12 years since I started menopause, 9 since the active symptoms went away. I no longer retain water once a month. But I do have a ravenously hungry day on or around the 24th of each month. Old cycles never die............
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jul-28-15, 10:45

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold
It has been 12 years since I started menopause, 9 since the active symptoms went away. I no longer retain water once a month. But I do have a ravenously hungry day on or around the 24th of each month. Old cycles never die............

NOOOOOOO!!!!!! Really!!! That long!! But thanks for telling me.... I get so snappy, and with weight gain, I get even worse!!! ugggg.....