Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-19-03, 10:02
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 290.5/225/170
BF:
Progress: 54%
Default Atkins vs FitDay: Who's correct

Am I missing something here?

I just started a fitday journal and in adding eggs to my daily food list I noticed that the nutrition label says that one extra large egg has 1.59 grams of carbohydrate. But, when I look at the Atkins carb counter it says that 1 egg has only .6 carbs. What's up with that? Who's correct and are there many such descrepencies between the two?

Rick
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-19-03, 10:04
Registered Member

BF:

Never mind.

I think I just answered my own question. I wasn't looking close enough. They have added milk into the recipe. Sorry for the bother thanks anyway.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-19-03, 10:42
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Thumbs up

Actually, it's a good point ... glad you mentioned it. When entering foods into fitday, especially "prepared foods" such as scrambled eggs or a fried egg even, fitday assumes you've added stuff to it ... such as milk to the scrambled egg, and fat of some kind for the fried egg. I tend to just use the count for "egg, whole, raw" ... then enter any added items separately.

Doreen
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-19-03, 10:49

Stats: 177/145/135 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

I've had the same problem with Fitday, and I enter my items separately as well. It gives a more accurate result.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-19-03, 11:02

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

You have to be careful with the fitday chart if you eat Yogurt, it comes up at about 9-11 grams 3/4 1 cup of yogurt, But the ecc carbs to count are 4 per cup ! It's got me on that a few times, LOL.
I'm still sputtering around fitday, somethings are hard to find, then when you do find them, they list everything, But how I had it, Oh well, it is free

Kathy
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-19-03, 11:33
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Thumbs down Fitday

All week I just couldn't figure out why my salt was so high. Then I clicked on roasted chicken and saw chicken and SALT were calculated together! So I went to just chicken and readjusted all my chicken lunches and low and behold... my salt was in the right range... So definitely check what fitday has added to your meat.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-03, 13:17

Stats: 220/188/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 53%

I just started fitday as well and had the same problem. I just carried my carton of eggs over to the computer and entered the amounts from the nutrition label as a "custom food". Now I know my results are much more accurate. I did the same for my mayo.

I could only find "lettuce" on fitday. Since all lettuces are not created equal, I had to look up loose leaf lettuce in a nutrition book and enter it as a custom food as well.

I find it is quicker once I add foods on this custom list, especially foods I eat frequently such as butter, eggs, and lettuce.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 11:43
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for all the great replies folks.

I figured out that I wasn't looking closely enough at the ingredients in the right hand panel on FitDay. I started choosing just the food and adding condiments, spices, etc...

I like alwazbuzy's idea of using custom foods also. A little more work up front but then it should be quicker and more accurate.

Thanks folks,
Rick
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Mar-25-03, 08:08
Registered Member

Plan: Zone/Atkins
Stats: 138/130/125
BF:?/20%/?
Progress: 62%

I find Fitday to be one of the best tools I've ever seen as far as tracking your daily intake. I was keeping track of my carbs on paper before I found Fitday. Was I ever surprised to find that my calorie intake was WAY out of line once I started entering everything on Fitday. Now I plan my menus each evening and enter them for the following day to calculate where I am. That way I can either add more or subtract more to get to my ideal consumption for the day. I have so many custom foods entered now that it only takes me a few minutes each night to plan my next day. I'll use it forever!!!!