Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-03, 10:00

Plan: South/Atkins/Ornish/etc.
Stats: 275/260/190 Male 5'10"
BF:lbs&in. first, ok?
Progress: 18%
Default The Thud Fairy

Well, it looks like the whoosh fairy has an evil twin.

The Thud Fairy came to visit me last night; today I was a startling 3 pounds up from yesterday! I've been eating relatively well, although my calorie intake the last couple of days was high, but my carbs were well within the post-induction range. I drank a phenomenal amount of water yesterday, and somehow it still went in the opposite direction.

I know the "quit checking the scale" folks are about to emerge from the woodwork and pile on, but for me the regular measurements have been helpful. I've got a graph with my weight, linear trend and 7-day forecast, and another which plots my wieght against my carb and calorie intake, and the day to day correlations are actually interesting.

Not about to succumb, but it is quite a jump for one day.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-03, 10:04
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 353/237/225 Male 6'2"
BF:
Progress: 91%

dont feel like the lone ranger. i've lost ten pound this week. unfortunatly its the same two pounds! over and over and over and over and ov..........
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-03, 10:18

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 198/161/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 70%

You say you ate more calories over the last couple of days. That may translate into more volume of food that is still stuck inside.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-03, 10:37
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

Damn those fairies anyhow...!!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-03, 10:41
SPOILED

Plan: Atkins Life Maintenance!
Stats: 184/152/154 Female 173 cm/5,8
BF:In right places...
Progress: 107%

There is no way those pounds are actually fat. I gained 2 pounds of water after eating too much of salty foods.
I won't tell you to stay away from the scale, just accept that it's going up and down but in a long run DOWN!
Check out the graph attached in Terris post.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...?threadid=93131

Good luck!
Alina

Last edited by Alina : Tue, Mar-18-03 at 10:43.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-03, 11:26
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

Hey guy-

That happened to me a couple of weeks ago. I about freaked out until I measured my thigh and realized I lost almost 1/2 inch there. I weigh and measure every day, so I am certainly not going to lecture you on that-I just don't take these little thud fairy bumps too seriously.

I am glad you are tracking! From one statistician to another, playing with my own weight and measurement data has been part of the fun. I haven't done a forecast yet, but I should run a regression, huh?
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-03, 11:31

It's not a true forecast; I run a mean average between the linear trend and the 7-day moving average to get the approximation for the next week. Then it's interesting to see how closely the actual graph follows it.

Yep, I'm a data-geek. Having the numbers and seeing the different correlations I can plot makes it almost a game. I just made a chart for Caitlin that plots her calorie breakdown (fat/carb/protein) against her daily fluctuation; we're trying to see if tweaking her foods can make a difference.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-03, 11:38
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally posted by S_Hysmith
I just made a chart for Caitlin that plots her calorie breakdown (fat/carb/protein) against her daily fluctuation; we're trying to see if tweaking her foods can make a difference.

If that works, you will have people clammering for that! I never thought of using stats to test something like that. How cool! I have to go play with Excel now....
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-03, 20:21
Registered Member

Plan: SPII IS/BOAG
Stats: 186/136/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:A lot/18%/20%
Progress: 109%
Default hacker's diet?

Hey Scott, have you ever read the Hacker's Diet by John Walker (co-author of AutoCAD)? I do the same thing with the moving average, and that's where I got it from. I'm a programmer/database type too, so that kind of numbers game makes me happy. I really think everyone should read the Hacker's Diet, not so much for nutritional advice (it's low-cal) but for its insights into the physiology of weight loss, gain, and maintenance. His concept of the body as a "Rubber Bag" really made sense to me and helped me stop stressing out about daily fluctuations like you've just had. If you've never read it, give it a look.

Interestingly, the author talks about being in a ketosis state as a result of a low-cal diet, and describes it right down to keto-breath. He's not saying that you should worry about getting into or being in ketosis like Atkins does, but he's not dogging the process either. I never really thought about low-cal people actually being in ketosis as well, but it makes some sense from a physical perspective. Since lipolysis is the state of burning bodily fat, and ketones are the metabolite of that fat, you're going to be spilling ketones whenever you are burning fat, regardless of how you're doing it. Has anyone else ever looked into ketosis and low-cal diets?
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-03, 20:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 195??/186/150
BF:
Progress:

Awwww, have heart, and like another poster said don't feel like the lone ranger here. Hang in there!!!

I like your data idea. That is pretty cool, think I'm gonna have to have fun doing that to....could be very interesting to say the least...
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-03, 20:34

Plan: Atkins, KISS, BFL
Stats: 205/153/154 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%
Default charts

Another data freak here...

Have you developed a program to do your analysis or are you playing on spreadsheets? I think it helps my motivation to play with the numbers.

Amy
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-03, 20:46
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hey Scott, I love my program, NutriBase. It's like fitday, but does all kinds of tracking from bodyweight to body temp to measurements etc. It even charts your daily nutrients. I like that. It's great for people who are comfortable with software. I also have an excel spreadsheet to adjust my ECCs to accurately reflect my daily nutrient breakdown.

Boy, aren't we all obsessive. But the more I track, the more I enjoy the process (and the more I realize how inaccurate weight really is)

Wanda
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-03, 20:57
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

3# in one day? Lots of water you say? Can only mean one thing: sodium!

Now, if you were a woman, you could even blame it on hormones!
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-03, 21:44

I have had a lot of sodium in the past couple days. Oh, goodie, another value to track!

I use spreadsheets; Excel is the swiss army knife of number crunching. I like being able to manipulate the numbers in whatever way I see fit, and to add more values and more ways to look at them. (and when my relatives ask me what I do for fun, I have no ready answer... )
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-03, 21:53

Atlee:

Yes, I've read The Hacker's Diet. I think it's terrific that Walker made it publicly available for anyone to read. I even used the EatWatch program on my Palm before moving to CalorieKing. I was given the link by a good friend who lost 100 pounds or so following the principles in it.