Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-14, 14:08

Plan: Atkins 72
Stats: 178/178/147 Female 5ft8.5
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Atkins Kills?

Hi all,

Apologies for scary title. I've been on Atkins for about 3 months off and on now, due to some annoying slip ups (won't go into, read previous posts concerning visiting my mum).

I was 13.5 stone, and now weigh 11 st 8 lbs . Although I feel like I.want to give up, not because its tough, because I'm ok with limited carbs...the problem is the long term health benefits..

Yes, I feel more energetic, certain nagging health worries have gone..BUT you can never know what's going on with tour organs, namely your heart. I've been on induction, way too long,due to my weekend slip ups.. which means for the pas3 months I've been eating mostly clean, high fat and ultra low carbs...this cant be good for my heart right?

Then I read this...
thttp://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-196988/Watchdog-Atkins-kill.html

Another thing that has being bothering me hugely is the fact that I love cycling. I tend to do abuot 60 k a week, maybe 100 miles on the weekend and I simply can't endure the distance on low carb, as opposed to my low to mid g.i way of eating before. My muscles tire easily on low carb, and I find it hard to pedal..really gets to me.

So anyway, yea seriously contemplating whether this is really going to work for me, for life...

Thoughts appreciated.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-14, 14:19

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

Quote:
Originally Posted by yabbaranks
Hi all,

Apologies for scary title. I've been on Atkins for about 3 months off and on now, due to some annoying slip ups (won't go into, read previous posts concerning visiting my mum).

I was 13.5 stone, and now weigh 11 st 8 lbs . Although I feel like I.want to give up, not because its tough, because I'm ok with limited carbs...the problem is the long term health benefits..

Yes, I feel more energetic, certain nagging health worries have gone..BUT you can never know what's going on with tour organs, namely your heart. I've been on induction, way too long,due to my weekend slip ups.. which means for the pas3 months I've been eating mostly clean, high fat and ultra low carbs...this cant be good for my heart right?

Then I read this...
thttp://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-196988/Watchdog-Atkins-kill.html

Another thing that has being bothering me hugely is the fact that I love cycling. I tend to do abuot 60 k a week, maybe 100 miles on the weekend and I simply can't endure the distance on low carb, as opposed to my low to mid g.i way of eating before. My muscles tire easily on low carb, and I find it hard to pedal..really gets to me.

So anyway, yea seriously contemplating whether this is really going to work for me, for life...

Thoughts appreciated.

I've been on induction for 11 years! In those 11 years I have never felt so alive, healthy, fit, energetic and happy...... oh and slim.

Quite frankly, I'd sooner have the last 11 years, than a life time of misery with IBS, arthritis, eczema, lethargy, insulin resistance, which is how it was for me pre-Atkins.

The "Atkins is bad" is very old news, brought about by the food industry. As for the silly Daily Mail article - well what????

Quote:
I've been eating mostly clean, high fat and ultra low carbs...this cant be good for my heart right?
Er.... yes it is. Very good for your heart - even the experts believe that now!

Read some later articles, they've well and truly changed their minds. Have a good nose thru the forum and you'll see

Jo xxx

Last edited by ojoj : Fri, Jul-25-14 at 14:24.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-14, 14:27

BF:

Oh this is an old article..woopsy. Howevrt, still concerned..
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-14, 14:29

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojoj
I've been on induction for 11 years! In those 11 years I have never felt so alive, healthy, fit, energetic and happy...... oh and slim.

Quite frankly, I'd sooner have the last 11 years, than a life time of misery with IBS, arthritis, eczema, lethargy, insulin resistance, which is how it was for me pre-Atkins.

The "Atkins is bad" is very old news, brought about by the food industry. As for the silly Daily Mail article - well what????

Er.... yes it is. Very good for your heart - even the experts believe that now!

Read some later articles, they've well and truly changed their minds. Have a good nose thru the forum and you'll see

Jo xxx

Huge mistake, just noticed its an old article...eek.

Thanks for the reassurance, appreciated.

Now wondering about implementing endurance sport with low carb!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-14, 14:33

BF:

Quote:

Take a look at this guy - he's really into it http://www.runnersworld.co.za/nutri...-dietary-ideas/ But also look thru the forum, there are pages about activity and sports I think?? I dont venture down that route lol!!!

Jo xxx
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-14, 14:34
The Patient Loser

Plan: LCHF/keto
Stats: 165/159/135 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

Can you go to your doctor for a physical and get tested for the things that you are concerned about, then perhaps 6 months later get another test to make sure your numbers are where they should be? That might put your mind at ease too.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-14, 14:39

Plan: Zero
Stats: 95/95/95 Female 50
BF:0
Progress: 36%

Quote:

If you are more interested in pursuing endurance sports, perhaps nutritional ketosis (deeper ketosis) is a path to look into to more efficiently burn fat.
See these books by Dr. Phinney/Dr. Volek as they have studied ketogenic cyclists who had excellent exercise outcomes:
The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living
The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-14, 14:51

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimodo
Can you go to your doctor for a physical and get tested for the things that you are concerned about, then perhaps 6 months later get another test to make sure your numbers are where they should be? That might put your mind at ease too.

Thanks, as much as I can't stand the idea of going to the doctors, can take a while (with the nhs) which puts me off going...but, I'll defo do it! ;0
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-14, 14:54

BF:
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sereen
If you are more interested in pursuing endurance sports, perhaps nutritional ketosis (deeper ketosis) is a path to look into to more efficiently burn fat.
See these books by Dr. Phinney/Dr. Volek as they have studied ketogenic cyclists who had excellent exercise outcomes:
The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living
The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance

Wow awesome! Thanks for this, just what I need!
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-14, 14:55

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojoj
Take a look at this guy - he's really into it http://www.runnersworld.co.za/nutri...-dietary-ideas/ But also look thru the forum, there are pages about activity and sports I think?? I dont venture down that route lol!!!

Jo xxx

Oh cool, thanks Jo! Been a help!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-14, 14:55
The Patient Loser

Plan: LCHF/keto
Stats: 165/159/135 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

Quote:
Thanks, as much as I can't stand the idea of going to the doctors, can take a while (with the nhs) which puts me off going...but, I'll defo do it! ;0

ME TOO! I hate going to the doctors, but ya just gotta do it sometimes! I am supposed to get a mammogram every year, and I hate making that appointment!
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-14, 15:40

BF:

Quote:

I'm no great believer in cholesterol numbers or that those numbers have anything to do with heart issues.

But if thats the route you want to take, you can now phone your GP surgery and then go in, pick up a blood form and either get your bloods taken there or go to the local hospital. Then phone up a week later and they'll tell you the results. Thats how it works in my area

Jo xxx
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-14, 16:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/205/180 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 60%

If I remember correctly, Dr. Peter Attia talks about exercising and low carb.

Low carb is so much better for ALL parts of you. Perhaps as Kristi suggests, a doctor's visit could very well put you at ease.

Deanna