Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-14-03, 21:52
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/BFL
Stats: 200/195/150
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default Home Gyms

Does anyone have any good recommendations for a home gym. I'm thinking about buying a Crossbow, a knock-off of the Bowflex, but haven't talked to anyone who's used one.

I need results!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-03, 21:02

Plan: Schwarzbein and Zone (love Dr. Weil too!)
Stats: 155/146/145
BF:???
Progress: 90%
Thumbs up FIRM videos

My sister-in-law has a bowflex, and she is cut. However, she injured herself on it, and can't use it anymore- doctor's orders. The pulling back motion of the bands was too much for her sternum.
Plus, you don't need to spend that much money to get in shape. I'd recommend getting the FIRM Sculpting Set with the 3 videos and Fanny Lifter. Also, if you're just starting, get some dumbells- 3, 5, and 8 pounds. That will get you set for months.....
If you're looking for something to add to your home gym, and already have videos, I'd get a pilates performer. I got mine at QVC for $189 and I love it. Or, you could get the Winsor pilates videos.
Good Luck,
Carole
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-03, 22:02
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

I looked at Bowflex and was wondering about what Carole just mentioned. It also looked a little too free-form than a more conventional gym. But, I didn't get a good look at them b/c they were only online so I'm no expert. I don't think I'd buy a gym without trying it first. That comes with being ripped off too many times.

Probably the best investment, if you are looking for dumbells, is a set that stack inside one another. The ones I saw (I think were for women), go in 3 pound increments with a dial on the outside of the dumbell that release the weight you select. I have a different older set, same concept, and they are real space savers. Those along with a bench would probably accomplish most of what you need in terms of weight training at home.

Another idea is to look for a used gym in the papers.

Good luck in your decision,
Wanda
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Mar-16-03, 19:08
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 268.5/262/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 5%

Wanda, I've never seen weights like that, but they sound great for saving space. Do you have any idea where you can buy them? Or maybe of a site that would have a pic of them online?

Thanks
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Mar-16-03, 19:35
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Georgia:

They both have websites:

http://www.probell.com/ (dumbell shaped)
http://www.powerblock.com/ (square shaped)