Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-03, 16:13

Plan: atkins
Stats: 354/233/200 Male 5 ft 11 in
BF:YES
Progress: 79%
Default water water everywhere and too much to drink...

I was wondering how much water do you guys drink and why? I drink 3 liters a day. about 100 oz. I keep reading peoples journals and they are saying things like I drink 6 litters or i am drinking 2 gallons. My question is. Can you drink too much water? And what is the point of drinking that much? does it actually help you loose weight? Your body can only use so much. just wondering.

Jon
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-03, 16:30
SPOILED

Plan: Atkins Life Maintenance!
Stats: 184/152/154 Female 173 cm/5,8
BF:In right places...
Progress: 107%

Hi Jon,

I drink minimum 2 liters, mostly 3. For me it's important, I observed that if I drink less my body will retain it.
My doctor told me that with that kind of weight loss that comes on Atkins the body gets rid of the toxins and not drinking water can cause kidney problems. That is why we keep hearing the rumours of "Atkins diet damages kidneys". Some people just damage them by drinking too little water.
Keep up your good work, see you are doing so great!

Alina
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-03, 16:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/225/130
BF:
Progress: 10%

Hi Jon

I am trying to drink 120 oz. a day......

I think what I've heard is to drink (in oz.) 1/2 of your weight..... As for the exact reasons why....I'll leave that to one of our many "experts. I just wanted to send you this link. We had a case of this happening just the other day in Arizona....a woman hiking almost died from drinking too much water...the link will explain why. But, I don't think any of us here are overdoing it

There are cases of "water intoxication"....drinking too much water....but I think it is related mostly to marathon runners and other activities that cause excessive depletion of salt..

http://www.hhp.ufl.edu/keepingfit/A...oomuchwater.htm

Last edited by Kayceecan : Thu, Mar-13-03 at 16:34.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-03, 16:37
Registered Member

Stats: 310/250/160
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default Water

I think yes, we can drink too much water. You can leach out too many minerals, upset your electrolytes, "drown" your tissues in too much liquid. It's like anything else. Don't overdo it. I think the Atkins admonition to drink about 64 ounces a day is a good starting point. You may want a little more, or need a little less. Balance it.

Good Luck!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-03, 16:50

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Jon...

Here's a good thread on the importance of drinking water http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...threadid=91798. Eight 8 oz. glasses of water per day is the minimum and I've seen a lot of recommendations to drink half your body weight in ounces of water daily. I personally shoot for at least 2 liters, but I think that 2 gallons would be a bit excessive unless you exercise strenuously or live/work in hot dry conditions.

HTH
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-03, 16:53

Stats: 170/151/135 Female 5'6"
BF:?
Progress: 54%

I usually drink 1.5-2 litres a day... about 48-64oz? probably a bit more than that because i often forget to calculate what i drink at home in the mornings.

and just think of all the bonus exercise from dashing to the bathroom every half hour!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-03, 16:59

Plan: South/Atkins/Ornish/etc.
Stats: 275/260/190 Male 5'10"
BF:lbs&in. first, ok?
Progress: 18%

Two gallons would be half my body weight in ounces! Ouch! I have enough trouble getting in my 64-80...

I have a lifelong habit of not even drinking water until lunchtime anyway, because mornings are always coffee/tea/other hot drink time. That's too entrenched a habit for me to easily change; I actually get uncomfortable drinking only cold beverages in the mornings for some reason.

When I get back into a regular exercise pattern I'll probably up my water intake considerably, but for now I'll stick to what's working for me.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-03, 17:01

Plan: atkins
Stats: 354/233/200 Male 5 ft 11 in
BF:YES
Progress: 79%
Default thanks..

thanks you guys. that article was interesting. I think i am about right with drinking 3 liters.

Jon
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-03, 17:15
"Natural Mystic"

Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

I drink at least 4 litres a day!

red