Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 12:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/202/145
BF:
Progress: 46%
Talking OK.. I am Lazy and need help on one question please!

After all of this time, I am finally using Fitday. I read on here all of the time that when it comes to calories, we should consume 10 to 12 times our weight and then I see it as our goal weight. So which is it?

Now, because I have seen this so many times, if you answer, could you also give me the source, please? One post it is one way and on another post it is a different way.

Thanks in advance for your answers!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 12:17
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

If you have lost weight and feel good... don't feel you need to do fitday.

My personal opinion is your body knows what it needs. Keep to your carb level chosen and eat when you are hungry... until your full.

Just a suggestion.

This is a way of life and the more effortless this is the longer and easier you will be able to get to and keep your goal.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 12:39

Stats: 303/303/225 Male 5-8
BF:whopping!
Progress: 0%

Hey Theresa...to answer your question, it is 10-12 times your CURRENT weight. This means that as you lose, your calories will decrease as well. Of course, you wont be as hungry either.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 13:31
Registered Member

Stats: 310/250/160
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default What?

Eat less! Eat less! Eat less! Please, if you are not hungry don't eat more! The idea of eating against one's body weight is ridiculous. We all have to learn to eat less; probably a lot less.

Atkins lets us remain relatively comfortable doing it. But we all must do it to succeed. Please use the Atkins recommendations and eat until you are comfortable but not full. Eat slowly and it's easy to eat less. I now eat less than half what I did when I started Atkins. Its the only way you are going to reach your goal and then maintain.

Good Luck
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 14:16

Stats: 245/219/145
BF:
Progress: 26%

Just to confuse the issue a little more
I seem to always end up around 1800 calories. One day I was reading all these posts about current weight vs target weight and figured it...current 2260 target 1450, average 1855. And that's what I've been doing naturally. Your body and appetitie know best.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 15:20

Stats: 149/120/122 Female 5 feet 2 inch
BF:
Progress: 107%

Ladies,

I'm sorry to disagree: It is 10-12 times your goal weight. Someone on this forum wrote to the Atkins Center; they answered 10-12 times goal weight and I remember reading it in the book, but I just can't find it. I've checked the index on every combination I can think of and paged thru the book, but it didn't jump out at me.

Check the newbie questions, that's where the post about contacting Atkins was and the date should be before 3/7/03.

HTH,
Magic
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 15:24
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Magic - could you back that up with some documentation??

Either way... I eat way more than that to lose weight and feel satisified (between 2000 and 2300 calories are my usual) so the argument keeps going that people are different and what works for some doesn't work for everyone.

If you are losing and you are satifisfied it is working so why tweek it?

Last edited by lkonzelman : Wed, Mar-12-03 at 15:28.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 15:28
"Natural Mystic"

Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

Magic, please let us know where it is in the book. I can't find it.

red
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 15:30

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

I can't wrap my head around why this is SUCH a big topic of discussion on the forum. I mean, we've all noticed that for some of us raising calories works, for some of us lowering calories works.

Here is an exerpt from www.low-carbdiet.co.uk:
Quote:
Do I Need To Count Calories?

:Too many calories:
Atkins (The New Diet Revolution) and Eades (Protein Power) concede that calories count. Atkins says that "you should eat adequately, not in excess."

Too few calories:
One should be careful not to eat too few calories. A large calorie deficit will cause what some call "starvation mode". In this mode the body's metabolism has been lowered thereby your actual calorie needs are lowered and you will not see progress even though you are in taking less calories.

The generally recommended calculation is 10 - 12 calories x current weight. Depending on your activity level this range could need adjustments. If you've tried this formula for a period of time (many weeks) and have not seen any progress, you might want to try slowly adjusting your calories either up or down over a period of weeks. But be very careful. Cutting your calories too far can result in losing Lean Body Mass (LBM) and slowing down your metabolism.

The basic idea of calories for low carb is "Don't eat too few, don't eat too many." Why do we need to micromanage? Generally one can figure out their basal metabolic rate and make sure not to eat below that, or they will lose lean body mass.

For instance, my BMR is 1450 calories. Therefore, if I ate 10 times my goal weight (1300 calories) I would be losing lean body mass, which in not something I want. I may also be in danger of going into the famed "starvation mode".

Generally we speak about calories only to discuss that eating too many or too few may hinder weight loss for some. They're good to look at if you need tweaking, but if you're losing just fine, it isn't really necessary to change what you're doing.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 15:36

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/189/140
BF:
Progress: 18%

Thank you Skamito!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 15:39

Stats: 235/225/130
BF:
Progress: 10%

Hi Theresa,

Confusing huh? I've just decided to go along with what my body asks for...

I asked the same question on March 9. Go here and read the responses.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...&threadid=91477

Hope it helps.....KC

Last edited by Kayceecan : Wed, Mar-12-03 at 15:42.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 16:16

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 198.3/178.7/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 29%

Heck, I don't even count calories! I just eat until I'm no longer hungry. Counting calories is what I associate with all those other low-fat diets and stuff. I know that a lot of people here count calories and say that you should, but as for me, I don't do it, and I've been fine. Of course, everyone is different, so what I do may not work for someone else.

HOWEVER - the point of this thread was to find out what you're supposed to use and to have proof of it. The only thing I found was from www.atkinscenter.com Help > FAQs > Phases of the Atkins Nutritional Approach FAQs > I'm used to counting calories. How many am I allowed on Induction?

"I'm used to counting calories. How many am I allowed on Induction?

There is no need to count calories. The Atkins Nutritional Approach counts grams of carbohydrates instead of calories. In Induction, you are allowed 20 grams of carbohydrates. When you progress to Ongoing Weight Loss, you gradually add carbohydrates in 5-gram increments as you move toward Pre-Maintenance, and finally to the Lifetime Maintenance phases of Atkins. Although there is no need to count calories, they do count. Gaining weight results from taking in more calories than you expend through exercise, thermogenesis (the body?s own heat production) and other metabolic functions. Research has shown that on a controlled carbohydrate program, more calories are burned than on a low-fat, high-carbohydrate diet, so there is a certain metabolic advantage to the controlled carb approach. But understand that this does not give you a license to gorge.

If you are used to counting calories and it makes you uneasy to not do so, know that women usually can safely consume 1,800 calories a day and still lose weight; men can typically take in 2,000 calories, and in some cases more."

Hope this helps!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 16:26

If I only had 2000 calories a day, I wouldnt be doing this WOE too much longer. I would CONSTANTLY be hungry. One 12 ouce ribeye is almost 1000 calories, then you have breakfast with eggs and bacon/sausage you have 5-600 more...add in the Olive oil for your salad and you are WAY over 2000 calories.

Im sorry, but I have read it 100 times, it is 10-12 times your weight, not your GOAL weight. Your calories decrease as your weight does. That makes a hell of a lot more sense. Your calories decrease because your appetite decreases. If Im wrong about this, Im man enough to say "I was wrong". Besides, we dont even need to "count" them. Just eat.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 16:40

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 198.3/178.7/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 29%

The article included this at the end
Quote:
Originally posted by Redfallon
men can typically take in 2,000 calories, and in some cases more."

... so you're at the "some cases more" end of it, I guess.

I have no idea how many calories I eat a day since I don't count 'em. Makes it much much easier that way. If I was counting calories, I'd feel like I may as well be on one of those low-fat diets again, and that would make me

I just thought that since this was the Atkins plan, I'd bring in what I found on atkinscenter.com/ Not meaning to step on anyone's toes Oh, I did find something else on there, as well. One of the Atkins' Principles if you do a search for 'calories' did say that "You Can Consume More Calories and Lose More Weight on a Low Carbohydrate Diet than on a Low Fat Diet" and then it has a bunch of references below that.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 16:44

Red...I wasnt directing my post at YOU. . I was just making a general statement. I was saying that the weight is 10-12 times. Skamito posted this - "The generally recommended calculation is 10 - 12 calories x current weight. Depending on your activity level this range could need adjustments. If you've tried this formula for a period of time (many weeks) and have not seen any progress, you might want to try slowly adjusting your calories either up or down over a period of weeks."

I was then just commenting on the 2000 calorie thing. In no way was my post meant to slam you or anything that you said. If you took it that way, Im truly sorry, it wasnt how I intended.