Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-03, 16:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 146/143/130
BF:
Progress: 19%
Unhappy Is this normal?

Hi folks, I just found this site. I started induction Saturday night and am really feeling sick. Very nauseated, headache, heart palpitations, lightheaded, faint, hot flashes... is this all normal for induction? I am wondering if I should stick it out or if I'm going to make myself real sick.

I am surprised to be feeling so bad because I have been on a more lenient low carb diet for 3 months. Basically what I've given up is 1/2 apple, 1/3 pc of sourdough toast & some nuts each day. Help!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-03, 18:02
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/238.4/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

It's normal to feel withdrawal symptoms. Are you drinking enough water? Eating enough green veggies, eating enough food and fats? So many variables, so little time.

Here is a thread that may help you.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...1901#post271901

Some people (that aren't on blood pressure medication) take potassium supplements and that helps them feel better very quickly.

Keep in touch.

Beth
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-03, 19:13
Registered Member

Stats: 195/183/135
BF:
Progress: 20%

I am not sure if it is normal, but feeling sort of off in the beginning is a common occurance. You know your body best-
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-03, 09:06

Stats: 146/143/130
BF:
Progress: 19%
Default Thanks

Thank you very much guys, some reassurance and support sure helps. Do you find that it ever is necessary to ease into the induction instead of starting all at once? I'm wondering if this got to be too hard on someone's body if there's a way to ease into it so it wouldn't be such a shock? Or do you just postpone the reaction?
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 18:07

Stats: 170/155/125
BF:
Progress: 33%

When i first did Atkins a couple yrs ago noone told me to take vitamins with it .. egads i got soo sick the first couple weeks same symptoms your describing .. I started taking a multivitamin and symptoms went away

So make sure your taking vitamins with diet
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 18:12

Stats: 219/205/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 17%
Post Hello

I had TERRIBLE withdrawal! MIGRAINES.. NAUSEA.. etc. But if you tough it out you will not regret it. These do pass and you will feel great if you continue. I stopped once because of it and gained like 10 lbs because of it!