Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-06-03, 23:55

Plan: Atkins-Started 6 Jan 2003
Stats: 445/445/225 Male 6 ft 3 in
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default I need help with Exercise

Hi folks,

I am looking for some advise on exercise. I currently do very little. I go to work at 6.45am, come home at 5.15pm and take 30 minutes for lunch. I would love to get out and do some walking but it is just so dark at nights,I also broke a bone in my foot 2 days ago,so it is in the process of healing. I have thought about joining a Gym but that is expensive at £50 per month.I know it is probably £50 well spent,right. I would be grateful for any advice you guys can offer.Especially from folks who either started off the same kind of weight as me or currently the same weight as me. Please bare in mind that I am fairly heavy and don't own a tracksuit or one of those sweatband things to put round my head.

Regards

Kenny
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 00:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 318/243.4/160 Female 5' 8.5"
BF:60%/41.85%/23%
Progress: 47%

Ouch Kenny! Sorry about the broken bone! How do you walk around now when that has to heal? I have a friend in England who works near Bath and he weighs in the mid 300's. He takes a walk everyday on his lunch around bath to see the sites. You only have thirty minutes but still 15 minutes would be good. You know summer is coming and it should stay lighter out longer. So if you walked around the block or down the street and back that would be a good start. Or, you could get to the point where you do 15 minutes in the morning and 15 at night. What you could do is just start small and add more when you feel like it. There's a guy who lost 165 lbs in a year and did a lot of walking to help lose it. Here is his web site if you haven't already read about him. http://www.dvelliott.com/index1.html. You would be surprised how fast your fitness improves just by moving more several times a week.

Hope that helps!

Julie Huck
318/276.2/160
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 02:54

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%
Thumbs up Getting the exercise in

Hi Kenny

Sounds like your day at work is similar to mine, except I have a longer lunch hour.

What I started out doing a couple of years ago was walking around the block at lunch time. At first I could only do this for 8 minutes, but each week I made myself walk a little further and it became easier. I ended up walking for around 20 minutes at a time.

Have you considered going swimming. I had not been in a swimming pool for over 20 years when I went on holiday 18 months ago. I did not do much swimming, but used it for hydrotherapy. I vowed to keep on going when I came back and as such joined the local gym which had a pool. Yes it does cost me over £50 a month, but I certainly now see it as money well spent and enjoy going. I do aqua aerobics once a week which is great fun and your weight does not matter. I've still not improved my swimming ability! At the gym they gave me a workout programme which was fairly basic and consistent with my capabilities over time. I've really improved since that time and you can see some of that from my gym log. The first few months I went I was not a member here. I enjoy walking on the treadmill and whilst those around me jog along I just walk and the speed at which I can do this with my little legs is improving. Also at the gym you can lift weights and this not only improves your body shape by toning up the muscles, but creates new muscle which helps improve your insulin resistance. I also go to Body pump classes once a week where I lift weights to music, exercising one part of the body at a time. I could not have done that at the start, but after 3 months it was possible using the lightest weights. Whilst you may be self consious of your weight, in general people tend to just get on with their routine at the gym. You don't need much, a pair of trainers, a T-shirt and some loose fitting trousers.

The evenings are certainly getting lighter and suspect it is OK for you to go out for a short walk. Work up an appetite for dinner! Do some power walking in the streets near where you live.

All these little efforts do help. I tend to find I am down a pound the day after I've had a very good session at the gym. One thing to beware. The first week I went to the gym I put on 3 pounds. Muscle is heavier than fat and also my body probably held onto some extra water as well.

I hope you find something to suit you soon. The thing is you need to enjoy it rather than it being a chore and something you have to do.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 07:15
Fitday PC's #1 Fan

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: 310/151.0/152.5 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 101%

I used to wear a pedometer (now I use a calorie meter) and use it to help me learn how to add a lot of extra mini exercise into my day. I do things like park at the end of the parking lot instead of near a door, take the long way to a meeting at work instead of the direct way, buy groceries and finish by walking the aisles an extra time before checking out.

Other things you could do would be to get off the bus one stop earlier or later, use the bathroom on another level of your work building, carry laundry from laundry room to closet one piece at a time instead in a basket, stand for 5 min during a time you'd normally sit, etc. I think the media doesn't promote tiny exercise very well, and it really adds up.

This is what I use now to keep track of exercise: http://www.imsystems.net/BioTrainer2-.html

It doesn't just count steps. You get credit for any activity that burns calories. I like that because when I used a pedometer, I'd oftends favor walking over other (more demandng) exercise like gardening, picking up sticks, clearing brush, etc. This tracker tells me when I'm active and not just when my feet take a step.

I write down my daily exercise calories each day. I work in a huge pizza factory and normally get 500 - 800 calories of exercise just by doing my job. On days when something goes wrong I might have to climb up or under things or move a bunch of boxes and that counts as exercise (as it should) even if I'm not putting on miles.

The tracker has also shown how easy it can be for me to not move much when home on weekends. My hikes up our hills burn 100 - 300 calories depending on the route I take, but a relaxed weekend day with a good walk burns significantly less calories than a day when I miss my walk but was at work and made a grocery run afterwards - UNLESS I stay aware and sneak in a bunch of mini exercies.

Being able to be very aware of your activity level encourages you to do stupid little things like adding 10 jumping jacks before you get in your car in the morning, or being more likely to be the one to volunteer to run outside and check the mail or move the garden hose.

My long tern goal is to be stable at my goal weight by balanced eating and by being an acitve person. I really hate wasting my time on meaningless activity, and while formal exercise or walking programs do burn calories, making lifestyle changes like walking to places instead of driving or doing heavy homesteading work instead of going for a 20 minute walk to nowhere works so much better for me. With exercise walking programs, it is so easy to get into the trap of going for lots of steps that you walk right by all kinds of great exercise (park swings, stairs, climbing a tree, lifting and carrying things).

When I was at my heaviest, a lot of "basic exercise" that people take for granted was incredibly tiring for me. It made a real difference to allow myself to value lots of little things as much as I'd value a big thing. When I was really into walking, I'd do 12 mile walks on the weekend. Getting to that level was the result of the exercise benefits of every stair flight or extra 20 ft in a parking lot. Looking at it now, though, I'd be an idiot to spend 3 hours walking around doing nothing else. Now I'll hike around for 1/2 hour to an hour to see what's changing on our land and to try to spot the deer or a groundhog (that's unwinding time, entertainment, and an attempt to tire out my dog). Then I'll do something productive like stack logs or clean house. It sure beats the old "exercising because I should" attitude - for me at least.

If I were you, Kenny, I'd really consider that Bio Trainer. You enter your weight in it so it gives you an accurate reading of calories burned. At your current weight, you may find that one extra bus stop represents a very meaningful calorie expenditure and you'd be able to tailor your exercise to your body, and re-tailor it as you continue losing.

BTW - Great job on your progress! I get a real kick out of seeing how well things are going for you.

Lynda
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 07:51

Stats: 235/195/190
BF:??%/15.9%/<10%
Progress: 89%
Default Lynda

You have brought up a very valid point. What you are doing is a subtle yet very effective lifestyle change. Not only are you aware of your daily calorie burning but you are boosting your activity levels throughout the whole day. You have quite an impressive "program" without the program.

If I could add one thing it would be some sort of passive weight training. Just repeat some regular activity a number of times every time you do it. Eg. a gallon of milk weighs eight lbs. if you are puttnig the milk away how about doing some curls for a min.

Taking out the trash? Do some curls on the way out to the trash can.

I'm sure there must be a thousand ways to do little weight training exercises throughout the day depending on your routine.

The reason I suggest this is because the more muscle you build the more calories you will burn. The added muscle will eat up more fat. I have added weight training at the gym for the first time in my life and the results are great. So if you can put something heavy in your breifcase and lift it up and down on your long walk across the parking lot I'm sure it will help.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 09:19
Registered Member

Plan: Insulin Resistant diet
Stats: 320/240/138
BF:44%/33%/19%
Progress: 44%

Maybe you could consider buying a treadmill? I use one that has 10 inclines and up to 10mph speed. I am up to running on it now after a year. But I would give it some time with your foot to heal, I hope it feels better soon.

I have a gym membership but during the winter months when the weather is really cold and windy, I bought an old gym set with weights out of the classifieds for a good price. When I was in physical therapy for awhile they had me use super strong bands for my arms and legs to build up my muscles. I dont know if these might be options for you?
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 09:33
Fitday PC's #1 Fan

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: 310/151.0/152.5 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 101%
Default MaineDaddy

Hi Maine Daddy

I'm with you on the muscle work! I make sure to do those as well as calorie burning activities

I do Pilates daily, and that targets muscle development in my abs & back. I also look for opportunities to add lifting, carrying, and climbing to my normal everyday activites. For example, it's not my job to hand stack cases of product on pallets if the overhead conveyors at work go down, but if I'm in the area when it happens, I grab 5-15 minutes of lifting and stacking big heavy boxes. It lightens the load for folks in the area, and gives me a chance to work muscles that I can't normally work during my work day.

My main muscle building plan, though, is to increase my ability to do heavy lifting and carrying on the property. Moving tree trunck sections and log piles, shoveling and hauling compost, hammering things that need to be hammered, and climbing trees are all things where I need to improve my abilities, so that's what I work on. I'm going to learn to handle a big axe to split those tree trunks this Spring. Oh - and we're fencing the land this Summer, so I'm going to get to pound stakes and learn to carry big roll of fencing up the hills! We a lot 45% to 60% grades on our hills, and at my current body mass you can imagine the kind of resistance training impact those have on me! Picking up sticks and taking them to a woodpile is a whole different kind of workout when you're going up and down a 60% grade! I'm so glad that I expanded my concept of beneficial exercise to include all of this instead of just walking and counting steps. Rolls of fencing, even with hubby, are going to be a brand new challenge.

I wholeheartedly agree with you about making sure you have muscle building work in with your lifestyle based calorie burning exercises. One of the easiest ways to sneak in weight lifting is to shop with a basket instead of a cart, or park the cart somewhere and foray out to carry back the items-lifting and lowering them a few times. Then after check out, carry the bags to the car instead of using the cart. You can get a nice mini workout parking your cart two aisles away from the pet care aisle and carrying the cat litter, dog food, and bird seed a little distance before putting it in the cart.

I keep in mind what I'm training for - My husband and I are both training to be old and healthy and to be able to enjoy and work our land into our 90's. I'd hate to be stuck on the porch wishing I was thinner and stronger when I retire! Part of the reason for taking my current job is because the plant is big and I need to cover a lot of it to do my job. It feels soooooooooo good to be doing all of this (weight loss and exercise) as part of your life instead of a time consuming demand separate from the rest of your life.

Lynda
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 10:49
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Kenny,

I second what Anne said about swimming. I started out last summer near the weight you are now and swimming was the best exercise for me at that time. These days, I'm doing a lot of walking because it's so easy to schedule a walk into my day, but walking more than a mile or so was difficult until I got below 325. I still try to swim at least once a week.

Swimming is time consuming, but it is worth it. It exercises all your muscles, is good for your heart, and is easy on the joints for those of us who carry a lot of weight around. Do you have anything like our YMCAs or community centers/pools in England? You shouldn't need to join an expensive health club just to get access to a pool.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 11:05

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Kenny, sorry to hear about the broken bone in your foot. That has to suck...

Truthfully, I lost the first 75 of my 122 pounds without an exercise program. I don't advocate that though, as the Atkins plan definately calls for exercise.

I added walking to my regimine and it's been great. I do walk in the dark (and cold) of evening, after dinner. Ideally though, you should try to do your walking first thing in the morning, on an empty stomach (other than a small glass of water) as you'll burn the most fat. If that's not an option for you, you might consider a treadmill (once you're healed) or a basic routine of exercises that you can do at home with a comfortable exercise mat. I like leg lifts a lot...and you could do some lifting with dumbbells while seated (off you sore foot) too.

Basically, you can start with a modest routine, but the key is to stick with it. Don't desgin a program that you won't keep up with or you're likely to feel defeated. Consistency is key and then build on that. You'll definatley find yourself pushing further and further as you see and feel the results. Then by the time your foot is healed, you can add in the walking that is so good for your heart and fat burning.

P.S. I was a bit heavier than you when I started, so I think you can do this...

Good luck, K!

Donald
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 12:19

BF:

Thanks for the advice everyone. You've given me a whole lot to think about.

Regards

Kenny
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 16:16

Plan: Atkins/BFL
Stats: 325/287/150
BF:
Progress: 22%

Kenny,

I would suggest passive weight training. You can do this at home, relatively inexpensively -- all you need are some hand weights/dumbbells, and either a book or video for instruction. The video I like best is "Building Strength" by Susan Powter. While I don't subscribe to her WOE (she believes fat = evil), her fitness videos were the first ones I ever saw that emphasized modifying the movements if you are very heavy. All the other fitness video's I'd used expected everyone, whether 100 lbs or 300 lbs, to have the same range of motion -- HA. When you build muscle, you increase your resting metabolism, which TA DA burns fat!!!

Unfortunately for me, the mice chewed up my copy of "Building Strength" (cats were off sleeping somewhere, I suppose!), so I've ordered another one. You can get them used off eBay for about US$4.00 - US$6.00.

Hope that foot heals soon!!
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Mar-09-03, 18:14

BF:

I am glad to report that my foot is feeling much better today. The healing process seems to be well under way. Another week or two and I'll be as right as rain. Good advice about the weight. I used to do weight training years ago and have dumbells in the house somewhere.
Regards

Kenny
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-03, 02:38

Stats: 276/247.5/130 Female 5'6"
BF:49/47/?
Progress: 20%
Smile JUST A SIDE NOTE

Hi Kenny
Something to look forward to. as excercise gets easier and you work harder it's going to feel so good you wont believe it! it actually releases endorphins that make you feel good, it's an all natural high, I've never seen anything like it for relieving stress! it is kind of hard at first, but so very worth it. 3 years ago I literally walked off 80 pounds. then became a truck driver and found it impossible to keep up with, but I really missed it. I wasn't LCing so put it all back on in short order, so now I have to start over, but I wont let it happen again. Just wanted you to be able to look forward to the benefits, btw I did join a gym this time I think it's a more complete physical fitness program, but I still love my walking. keep up the hard work! your doing Great! can't wait to hear how it goes.
Robyn
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-03, 18:32

Plan: atkins/PP
Stats: 490/459/200
BF:
Progress: 11%

I'm using a excercise bike while I watch TV. For some reason I still feel like I'm not doing anything 'active' but I'll do 20 minbutes or so a day a few times a week. I'm putting off walking and such until about my 50 or 75 lb mark. Hope that helps Kenny.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-03, 20:24

Stats: 437/???/200
BF:69%
Talking Hey Kenny!!!!!

About the exercise thing...at my weight my best advice would be swimming or just walking in the pool at your own pace...might be good on your foot while it heals...last year I slipped and pulled a muscle in side of my foot and I thought for sure something was broken.....so I can just imagine your pain....looks like there is alot of supportive people here to help all of us ....keep up the good work....Celina