Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 15:27

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 206/199/155
BF:
Progress: 14%
Unhappy Help Day 12 And Stopped

Help - it is day 12 I lost 2kg on the 7th day and now nothing more. My Ketostix are showing the barest of traces if any. My husbands ketostix is really purple and we are doing exactly the same thing. Is this a common "girl" thing.
I am not finding it hard but am a bit peeved with this halt?
Any suggestions are really appreciated.
Cheers
Bron
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 15:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 181/159/130
BF:
Progress: 43%

Can you get a hold of a book called The Secret to Low Carb Success (how to get the most out of your low carbohydrate diet) by Laura Richard? This book is a must read as far as I'm concerned. It gives you a better perspective on what to expect from this WOE (comparison of various low carb diets, initial weight loss, continuing weight loss, rate of weight loss, and lots of other information that we're all asking). Get it if you can!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 15:49

Stats: 230/188/175 Female 65 inches
BF:48/idk/25
Progress: 76%

Good suggestion re Secret of Low Carb Success. I found it enormously helpful. I believe the author Laura Richard makes a very funny observation re ketostix. She reminds us that as long as we're doing fine, we didn't really come to this WOL to achieve ketostix glory.

That said, I sympathize. My sister and I recently went on a trip together for a week. We're both on Atkins and ate exactly the same things in a day. That evening her ketostix read purple while mine read the most modest pink. I drink more water than she does, but it did feel a little unfair.

Don't worry about the ketostix color if you KNOW you're staying at your proper level of carbs. If you have any question as to whether you are staying at that level, the folks on this board are very correct when they say that writing it down in Fitday, in a notebook, in your journal at this site, or wherever, is an excellent tool.

You're well on your way and you will succeed if you don't let the minor zigs and zags get to you. Hang in there and keep us informed on your progress.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 15:52

Stats: 170/132/122 Female 62
BF:23%
Progress: 79%

How many calories are you consuming? I know atkins tells you not to count calories, but they also tell you to stay 10x-12x your weight. I'm at 158, so thats just 1580 - 1896. Check there maybe. Are you drinking enough water? Give us a list of the a normal days menu.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 16:21
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
I am not finding it hard but am a bit peeved with this halt?

No need to be peeved, Bron, you're actually doing just fine!

Low carbing weight loss often comes (or goes ) in fits and starts. Just the nature of the beast.

Did you know that we can realistically expect to lose 10% (of the weight we wish to lose) on Induction? You've already lost 14% and so are well on track. After Induction you can expect to lose 5 to 10% per month. So, no, it's not necessarily a way to lose weight quickly. But low carbing also offers good health and remember it is a way of life not a "diet."

Cheers, matey.

Rosebud