Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 16:11
Registered Member

Plan: PP
Stats: 130/130/110
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Atkins Bars

I have a real sweet tooth, so I keep finding myself eating at least 2 bars per day to help. I dont find myself craving nearly as much sugar, but I am in in the first week of the plan, and dont know if that is too many bars. I have yet to get any of the other foods because I am waiting for an order, so the bars are the only thing I got right now!! Also, anyone from Canada know if there is any type of drink that is sweetened with anything but Aspertame?? Not only do they not recommend it, it gives me horrible stomach cramps.

Just wanted to also express how much this plan has helped my IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome). My stomach feels more normal than it has all year!! Also, I was a huge SUGAR FREAK before, and now I dont find myself wanting it every minute of the day anymore. I eat....and I feel satisfied. I am very pleased so far.

Thanks to all, and hope you will consider giving me any advise you can.

Bree
Canada
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 17:27
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Atkins bars are a no-no on induction, unless it's an emergency. They have way too many carbs - two bars would take up more than your 20 g allowance for the day. It's important to 'spend' those 20 g on vegetables, plus some cheese, cream, or whatever other minor carb sources you're having.

Honestly, the only way to get rid of your sweet tooth is to go cold turkey. As long as you're feeding the monster, it won't go away. This way of eating includes very few sweet foods. It WILL go away, though, I promise! I used to be a hard-core choco-holic, and if *I* can give it up, anyone can!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 05:36

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:

I totally agree with above post--have to go cold turkey, all the way!
No, I haven't found a single drink yet that has Splenda in Canada. The only thing you could do is buy Splenda in the box and substitute the splenda for sugar and mix with unsweetened Koolaid. The free-flow powdered Splenda is cup-for-cup in a recipe and I heard (but haven't checked myself) that it takes 16(?) packets of splenda to make a 2L jug of Koolaid.

Good luck

N.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 05:37

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:

oops, forgot to remind you to count the carbs in the splenda and you're not supposed to count anything except water toward your water intake for the day.
N.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 08:38
Registered Member

Plan: Atkinsish
Stats: 205/161/140 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Sorry, the bars are definately a big no-no on induction. You really need to take those two weeks to break your body's addiction to sugar. I know it sounds hard! But you'll be suprised, the cravings really will go away.

Good luck,
Tamara
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 09:57
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Oh, I forgot to mention: look for Diet Crush products. They're sweetened with Splenda! There's orange and creme soda at my local crappy grocery store, I bet you could find more if you're near a Zehr's, Sobey's or other big store. Good luck!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 10:37
Registered Member

Stats: 130/130/110
BF:

Thanks everyone. I will be having a non-BAR day today, and will not eat them during induction. Tell you the truth, I think they were giving me a GUT ACHE anyway because they are so heavy.

Thanks again....and happy low-carbing.

p.s. Kristine-thanks for the idea about the Diet Crush.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 11:26

Stats: 264/255.2/180 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 10%

So how come the labels say total net carbs is 3 grams????? Why doesn't it say 21 grams? I too, can only seem to make it through by using a 1/2 bar as a snack at work.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 12:18

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

It is calculated as a low amount of net carbs because the research indicates sugar alcohols such as glycerine in Atkins bars do not raise blood sugar. Of course, as you can tell by this thread alone, a lot of us have differing opinions on that. They DO seem to act as real carbs for a lot of us.

In general, especially if you're a "carb addict", artificial sugars should be treated with caution. These bars are best left as supplements, occasional treats, or emergencies.

I eat them occasionally when I can't get real food for the life of me, but it's not a habit.

Treat with caution!