Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 18:07

Plan: atkins
Stats: 138/122/120 Female 5.4 1/2 small frame
BF:23%/23%/?
Progress: 89%
Default herbal tea - says no sugar... but?

Hi All!

It's viv again - I just all sorts of questions today...

I bought celestial seasonings natural herb tea caffeine free - cinnamon apple spice.

nutrition: 0 fat, 0 carb, 0 sugar, 0 protein

ingredients: cinnamon, hibiscus, chamomile, roasted chicory root, orange peel, roasted carob, natural cinnamon flavor, natural apple flavor, and other natural flavors.

Do "natural flavors" contain sugar?

thanks all! viv
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 18:22
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

Hi Viv,

I had the same concern I bought a "green tea with ginseng and honey" it had 0 listed for everything and it certainly did not taste like honey (it was Yukkkk - but I dont like tea to start) I decided to believe the label and figured that if it was wrong, then the count for any thing would be very minimal, considering too that I made the tea very diluted. I figured there must just be something that tasted like honey they put in.

I don't think there could be enough of anything to really mess you up if the label says 0 (if there is and you find out about it maybe you can sue and be 1 rich woman )
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 18:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 195??/186/150
BF:
Progress:

Viv-

I don't think it has added sugar. If it says no sugar....well I would think that would be a lawsuit waiting to happen if a diabetic drank it and it did have hidden sugars in it. There are fairly strict FDA guidelines for a reason.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 19:00

Stats: 367/225/175
BF:
Progress: 74%
Talking

How about extracts? Do any of you think that Orange extract will effect sugar levels? Or Orange peel, Or apple extract? It s still says 0 sugar but I wondered since it IS fruit extract...
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 19:51

Stats: 195??/186/150
BF:
Progress:

I still don't think it will affect you. I mean if you tried it, saw yourself in a stall......then I would pinpoint that first. I think sugar in tea is extremely minimal, if any at all.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 21:12
Registered Member

Stats: 310/250/160
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default Sugar

Manufacturers are required to list sugar, in some form, on the product label. It cannot be combined with other ingredients. They are most cunning in referring to it in its many forms, but if it ends in an "ose" it's sugar.

Good Luck!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 21:40

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

I had this same question, so I went to the Celestrial seasonings site, could not find anymore than what was on the box. I bought a english toffee one, it is so sweet, has to have some carbs, from the plants. I guess I should e-mail them, as I'm not drinking it til I find out more.

Cheers Kathy