Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-03, 19:03

Plan: atkins
Stats: 185/185/140
BF:
Progress: 0%
Talking carb blockers

ok here is the thing i successfully made it through my first 2 weeks and weighed myself only 2 times ( which for me is huge) and yeay i am down 7 pounds--um 6 weeks of weight watchers 2 lbs any way moving on.. i was watching good day live and the host jillian barbierie ( very pretty and super thin) made a comment that she eats no carbs..then she proceeds to say that there is a product out there called phase 2 which is a white bean extract that will help block the absorption of carbs .. not completely but she said about 20-30 grams --obviously not pasta! so then they had a doctor come on and talk about it and how is uses it for his diabetic patients and it can be found at walmart? so here is my thing? it is a talk show ( not springer esque) a doc came on as a guest and talked about it....so has any one else heard this and or tried it? the bean is phaesoleam or something like that and the host said she ate toast 3 days last week and used the product and had no gain? now i dont know how true that is but the show doesnt usually have sponsers like that? any way tell me what you think before i try my hand at it!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-03, 19:15

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

??? If you're following low carb and are at induction levels, what carbs exactly are we trying to block?
While I've never actually tried this stuff it strikes me as yet another scheme of the diet industry trying to sell us on being able to have our cake and eat it too, literally.
I've known a few people who tried them and quickly quit because they lost no weight on it and had intestinal cramps and diarrhea from taking it.
A better solution, IMO, would be to not waste money on carb blockers and instead spend it on healthy foods such as meats and veggies and maybe some berries instead. Those types of carbs don't need to be blocked.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-03, 19:19

Plan: Atkins Diet
Stats: 179/134/135
BF:
Progress: 102%

I've heard of alot of these so called carb blockers, fat blockers, etc.. I haven't tried any of them. My personal opinion is that anything that alters your body's natural absorption of any type of nutrition isn't good. If (and that's a BIG if) it does what it claims and blocks your body from absorbing carbs, then what else is it robbing your body of nutrition wise. Often products such as these prevent your body from absorbing other crucial vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients in addition to what they're aimed to target. My motto is if it sounds to good to be true it probably is, but that's just me. Remember a lot of TV shows promote alot of unhealthy things, even "good" TV shows. If you do decide to try it, I hope you'll post your personal experience with it. Good luck with whatever you decide.
God Bless,
Amy-Lynne
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-03, 19:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 163.2/156.6/143.3
BF:
Progress: 33%

Hello.

although I have not heard of these blockers, I agree with Lisa.
why not focus on the real healthy foods?
if you do wanna go low carb, there should n ot be any need for these blockers because, you naturally enjoy what you eat.

I believe there are so many many variants (CAD for ex) that will allow you to still have some of your favorite (??are they really?) high carb foods.

If you do not find the right one, then you need to switch programmes.. that is my view. I admit I easily switched from eting cake, cereals and bread to not having any for the last 3 months, but, consider it OK?

Ciao
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-03, 20:46
Registered Member

Stats: 310/250/160
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default Blocking

I agree with Lisa N. What carbs? haha. The world if full of gimmicks and most of them are on television. Skip it. Who knows that in six months they won't be banning it and finding out that people who take it are having heart attacks. Atkins works just fine as a natural way of nutrition. Follow the plan and have fun.

Good Luck!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-03, 21:13

Stats: 161/146/135
BF:00/35%/24%
Progress: 58%
Default I agree!

Try to Stick to using natural foods to change your body. Did the show mention the cost of these pills? Aside from a healthier me, I love Atkins because there is no monthly cost. I bought the book once, and that's it.

7 lbs in two weeks, sounds like you've found something that works.

Just my two cents

Hang in there!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 08:38
quietstorm

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Exclamation Carb Blockers

I have to say that I think this is not a good idea.
I have been hearing this ad on the radio, and maybe it is for the same product, where it says
"eat what you want while developing the body you and she will love, including pasta, pizza, and the ultimate carb- beer" ( ??!! )

I say "BS" to that. There are a million schemes and the only thing we lose is money.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 09:26

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 325/283/200
BF:
Progress: 34%

I recently read the book "Living Low Carb." I forget who the author is but she also authored a low carb cookbook. Anyway, she talks about using carb blockers (though she uses their chemical or herbal-extract name rather than a brand name) to help get through occasional times when you may be in a position to have to have carbs, like a vacation in Italy, or that a meal at your boss's hous where the specialty that everyone has to try is a potato dish. She does not advocate using them long term, but suggests that in moderation they can get you out of a sticky situation, and, of course, its not like she was filling up ont he pasta after using these, she was still trying to keep it low-carb, she just needed some insurance.

I don't think I would use any carb-blocker that is advertised as a weight reduction method. There is probably more than just the carb-blocker in there, probably some form of ephedera.

I have also heard the "the ultimate carb, beer!" commercial. Having never been much of a drinker, I find no appeal in this "miracle" cure.