Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 03:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/180/170
BF:
Progress: 75%
Default Stupid Question.. KFC Fried Chicken

How many carbs are in KFC fried chicken?

Ive never made fried chicken before so Im not sure exactly what you use to do it. Does it contain starches?

Told ya it was a stupid Q..

If so is there a low carb way to fry chicken?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 04:56

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 240/234/180
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default Not Sure

I looked fried chicken up in my carb counter book and it seems that there is 16 to 21 carbs in each piece, depending on what you are eating.
The breading is the killer. There is no way to fry chicken with breading. Oil doesn't have any carbs so if you just fry it it will turn out cripsy, with no carbs. You are probably better off just baking the chicken, but it is whatever you like.
Take care,
Jan
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 05:20
Registered Member

Stats: 213/165/160 Male 65 inches
BF:32%/16%/9%
Progress: 91%

#4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 07:02
Registered Member

Stats: 310/250/160
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default Frying

You can use soy flour, or something I found, called Keto Crumbs, for frying. They are both low in carbs and provide a nice, crisp coating. I usually do not use egg, but just dredge the food items in the soy or crumbs to add a light dusting.

With either product, lower the flame just a little more than you would with a flour coating, as both of them tend to brown quicker.

As another person said, roasting/baking is a most tasty method of cooking chicken. I rub herbs up under the skin and roast the chicken on a rack so the juices drip away and the skin becomes crisp. I also roast it breast side down. The chicken breast always tends to dry out, but this position keeps it moist. You can also then use the drippings as the basis of a delicious sauce.

Obviously, do not eat KFC. The breading on it alone will put you into a huge carb surplus. I imagine you could peel off the breading but the temptation to not do so could prove overwhelming.

Good Luck!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 08:33
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Glycemic Load
Stats: 232.8/227.6/145 Female 5'5"
BF:49%
Progress: 6%

You could also dip chicken pieces in egg and coat with crushed pork rinds for baking or frying.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 10:43

Stats: 220/220/145 Female 5' 7"
BF:too much
Progress: 0%
Default sugar

I'm willing to bet that they also inject thier chickens with a sugar maranade. I don't know, but it just tastes too sweet for me. Doesn't seem "right".

Best advice: don't bother with KFC. Make your own. The Keto crumbs are VERY good. Also pork rhinds.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 11:03
empress of fashion

Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

I make a batter out of parmesan cheese and spices. Brush mayonnaise on chicken first to help it stick.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 11:07

Plan: South/Atkins/Ornish/etc.
Stats: 275/260/190 Male 5'10"
BF:lbs&in. first, ok?
Progress: 18%

I've made a chicken/pork breading out of half parmesan cheese (the cheap green can parmesan works very well) and half textured soy protein. It stayed nice and crunchy, even when oven baked!

Textured soy protein is the solid leftovers from the process of making soy sauce. Dried and puffed, it makes a good "bread crumb", and I've seen somewhere a recipe that added chicken broth to it to make a stuffing of sorts. (I'll see if I can find it) The brand that I use is Bob's Red Mill Textured Vegetable Protein.