Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-02-03, 21:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 120/120/105
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default new atkins dieter...how long will i see changes?

HI everyone,
i just started atkins and have been working out taking off 700-900 calories a day. I of course havent seen too much results yet, since its been only a week....i was wondering if this atkins diet really works...my carb intake is about 30-50grams a day...does anyone have any suggestions about what I should do so I can get to see the effects more quickly?

thanks a lot!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-02-03, 22:06
Registered Member

Plan: Cyclical Ketogenic Diet
Stats: 330/290/225 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress: 38%

Well, it depends upon how fast you want to lose it!
Obviously, you have to do what is right for you, but I personally am Averaging 15 grams of Carbs a day, and since Febuary 10th, I've lost 23 Lbs....so, In 21 days I've lost 23 lbs., and haven't worked out..well, I lifted weights yesterday afternoon, but had already lost the 23 lbs.
I also dropped 1 pant size.
YOu have to go with what you feel comfortable with, but if you get below 20 grams a day, the weight will just start to roll off of you and you almost won't notice it - unless you sit and watch the scales.... on top of that, you won't be hungry.

Tim
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-03, 02:16

Stats: 266/197/168 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%

My take is the diet works very differently for everyone. I started 10/28 and have stuck to 20 or under carbs per day. I work out doing resistance training 3x per week. I have lost 38 lbs in that amount of time =about 10lbs a month. I have friends (male) who started Jan 1 and both have lost 30 +.

It depends on your muscle mass to begin with and your metobolism. Atkins works - sometimes you just need to be patient.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-03, 03:56

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 240/234/180
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default Cut your carbs

Obviously the problem is your carb intake. I can't lose if I go off of induction. I have just started back this week. Had lost 50 lbs. in 3 months two years ago, had some medical problems and gained back 40. Have lost about 5 lbs. this week.
Cut those carbs and see how it works. Start adding some back on until you find you aren't losing again.
Good Luck.
Jan
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-03, 04:17
SPOILED

Plan: Atkins Life Maintenance!
Stats: 184/152/154 Female 173 cm/5,8
BF:In right places...
Progress: 107%

Legalcarb!

Doing Atkins correctly means no more than 20g of carbs under introduction, 2 weeks minimum.
You WILL see the results, everybody does! Looks like you don't have that awfull lot of weight to loose so it won't be a problem...however the loss may stop for a while.

Keep it up!

Alina
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-03, 05:19

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Folks...

legalcarb has less than 20 pounds to lose. Dr. Atkins recommends that those folks start off in the ongoing weight loss phase (OWL), not strict induction.

Legalcarb...

Since you have so little (relatively) to lose, you can expect that it will come off rather slowly, but yes low carb works. Those that start off needing to lose a lot of weight will loose quickest (generally) and those that start off needing to only lose a few pounds will lose the slowest.

Quote:
my carb intake is about 30-50grams a day

You may want to stick closer to 30 grams of carb per day to facilitate weight loss, but if you find that you can lose on 50 grams, great!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-03, 06:36
Registered Member

Plan: CAD/Atkins
Stats: 265/258/165
BF:
Progress: 7%

Legalcarb, Lisa is right. Those of us with far greater amounts to lose will see it come off faster than those who are only trying to take off a little.

Don't get discouraged, though. Even if it doesn't come off fast, you will at least feel some changes, such as increased energy.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-03, 06:37
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

At 5'5" 105 pounds is an awfully low weight to try to get to. That weight is usually suggested for people who are 5'0" tall.

Just be careful, you don't want to get too small. That isn't healthy either.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-03, 07:36

Stats: 120/120/105
BF:
Progress: 0%

hi everyone, thanks for all your replies..this is the first time ive participated in an online support group, but i love it its so helpful and really supportive....i will try to keep my carbs at about 15-20g a day....i need to be more patient.

well, thanks again to all who have replied and will do so...keep them coming