Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-01-03, 18:19
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, CKD
Stats: 190/155/145
BF:
Progress: 78%
Default Question: Is vegetable Oil really bad?

Olive Oil seems quite expensive to me when I compare to veg oil ... although i see Olive Oil has massive Monounsaturated fats which is awesome but money becomes an issue ... Though if I must change I shall change ...

Just wondering.

Wes
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-01-03, 21:06
Cat Sofa

Plan: PP/Atkins
Stats: 1/1/51 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

The standard vegetable oil that is sold in clear bottles on the supermarket shelf is partially hydrogenated, and therefore full of nasty trans-fats. Olive oil is a much healthier option. If you have a Trader Joes near you, look for it there. You'll probably get a better price.

--Ruth
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-02-03, 05:09

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:

Atkins lists different oils that are okay (other than olive). It's about page 130 in DANDR (I THINK). Anyway, I use sunflower oil--much cheaper and on list of acceptable oils. No trans fats & 80% mono.

N.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Mar-02-03, 06:58

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 210/180/125
BF:
Progress: 35%

Actually pretty much any cold-pressed oil is OK, but they're usually costlier. 'Virgin' olive oil is cold pressed. If it doesn't say at least 'virgin', it may not be cold pressed. Hain's makes a nice assortment of cold pressed oils. You just don't want to eat anything that's been heat processed. If it doesn't say, then it's heat processed. What you're after is reducing the amount of omega 6's and increasing the omega 3's....
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Mar-02-03, 09:52
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, CKD
Stats: 190/155/145
BF:
Progress: 78%

okay i better try some olive oil when i cook my burgers then.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Mar-02-03, 15:37
Cat Sofa

Plan: PP/Atkins
Stats: 1/1/51 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:

Actually, a burger will cook just fine with nothing at all in the pan - it's self-lubricating, especially if you don't buy the leanest stuff. (The stuff with a little more fat is fine for our purposes, and cheaper.)

--Ruth

PS - Use the olive oil to saute your vegetables . . . when you're tired of butter.