Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Mar-01-03, 00:57

Plan: South/Atkins/Ornish/etc.
Stats: 275/260/190 Male 5'10"
BF:lbs&in. first, ok?
Progress: 18%

The Costco chicken is a ten pound bag. It's what I get too.

I'm guessing, based on the amount of sauce she's describing, that this is around 8 wing pieces per serving, and the sauce is one batch. Meigg, please let me know if I'm not correct here. Could you go ahead and post it here in MC format?

I need to buy some liquid smoke, but I hope to try them before next week. I like the idea of the new recipe getting posted on Friday and replied to by Thursday following.

I think if you have a place to upload the Big Book so we can all get at it that would be great! The only objection I have to the general recipe area is just what you're describing; not a lot of people know it's there. (If you click on "Low Carb Recipes" and not on a category (main dishes, sweet treats, etc.) there's a list of categories, followed by a list of "general" threads.) I'd like it to be more visible, especially the Recipe of the Week part, so that browsers and lurkers can easily see it and jump in. I'd like to see lots of collaboration on these from week to week so that over time we're building a useful reference that we can all share, and something that a new LC'er will be able to draw inspiration from!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Mar-01-03, 01:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 318/243.4/160 Female 5' 8.5"
BF:60%/41.85%/23%
Progress: 47%

Ok...I think I have it right. Please tell me to fix it if it's not quite right.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Meigg's Husband's Hot Wings

Recipe By :Meigg's Husband
Serving Size : 2 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Chicken

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
8 pieces chicken wings
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
2 cloves garlic -- crushed
1/8 teaspoon liquid Barbecue Smoke®
2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
1/8 stick butter -- melted
dash salt -- to taste
dash pepper -- to taste

Wings:

We bought a bag of frozen chicken wings (plain) at Costco, along with a
new deep fryer.

Deep fry in any oil you prefer until cooked - deep fryers normally give a
recommendation on this (time/temp, etc.). We cook them until they start
floating at the top of the oil, and then take them out.

While they are frying, make the following sauce (we make it in a
tupperware container large enough to fit all the wings): Add the butter
last and microwave all the ingredients combined. This will melt the butter
AND heat up the sauce. That way the sauce won't cool the wings off when
you put it on the wings.
Now, I can't handle ANY spice, so my husband takes that mixture and puts
the cooked wings in with it, puts the lid on the tupperware and shakes
them all up - then they are ready to serve.

He likes his REALLY spicy, so he then adds a few drops of extract based
hot sauce to the leftover sauce (this is different than tobasco). Then he
shakes his wings up and they are ready to serve.

As you can see, this recipe does not require breading, so even if there
are hidden carbs, it comes out very low in carbs. I dip mine in blue
cheese dressing.

Source:
"lowcarber.org"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per serving: 495 Calories (kcal); 37g Total Fat; (68% calories from fat); 36g Protein; 2g Carbohydrate; 166mg Cholesterol; 204mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 5 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 4 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Mar-01-03, 17:07
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

This looks like a fantastic idea! Sorry I missed it earlier. I don't use Master Cook so I passed on the thread then noticed that Wanda alerted me in my journal. I'm not in my journal much either!

Links to all the recipes can be copied to the http://www.lowcarb.ca/recipes.html. It hasn't been functioning for a while but now it's repaired.

The general section of the food forum is on this page http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdis...p?s=&forumid=2, below the list of categories.

I can move this thread to there and keep it as a stickie, as long as it's active.

Just say when!

Karen
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Mar-01-03, 18:35
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:

Thanks Karen, that's an awesome stamp of approval. I don't know why I didn't mention this idea sooner. I guess I didn't think anyone would go for it. Shows how much I know.

Looks like there might be some organizational work to do around this still. Ok, I'll start the ball rolling. Anyone who is interested in helping me with this project, Private Message me. We can get a little PM "Recipe Club" committee going.
Wanda

Last edited by wcollier : Sat, Mar-01-03 at 18:37.
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Mar-01-03, 19:45
Forum Founder

BF:

Wanda, I think one of the most important things is to figure out how to keep the concept and thread alive. A lot of good ideas start off with a bang and then fizzle out because the participation falls off.

Karen
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Mar-01-03, 21:31
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Karen:

I've been thinking about that myself. That's why I don't really want to "jump" into this without some organization. Get some different opinions. Tomorrow I will compose a poll to see what kind of interest there is. As you say, this thread appears to be about Mastercook software, not about a recipe club.

I think the first thing to do is structure when the recipe gets posted (ie. every Tuesday) so people know that it comes out on the same day each week.

Maybe have a link in the recipes section for the current "Recipe of the Week" club with a link to comment & rate the recipe (just like the Member's recipes). Then it would go into the master file at the end of the week.

I worry about accessibility to the info. As you probably know, the site can be daunting to many people and they may not see the Recipe Club information if it's not literally staring them in the face. I'll think about this some more. Maybe some animation-type link?

Exposure, member involvement. Maybe even let the members vote on what kind of recipe they'd like to review that week. Get them involved in the decision-making (ie. induction recipes, salads, quick, etc.). I don't know, maybe that would be making it more complicated. What are your thoughts.

Lastly, people organizing it on a weekly basis. What happens if one person isn't able to put something together for the week. For me it wouldn't be that hard. I've got tons of recipes as resources. We'd need a few reliable people. I'd probably suggest only doing the Recipe club from September to July otherwise it might fizzle out with no hope of recovery.

Those are some thoughts for now. I'm sure there will be more. What do you think, oh wise one?

Wanda

Last edited by wcollier : Sat, Mar-01-03 at 21:40.
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Mar-02-03, 10:50
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
I think the first thing to do is structure when the recipe gets posted (ie. every Tuesday) so people know that it comes out on the same day each week.

Yes! It gives people something reliable to look forward to.
Quote:
"Recipe of the Week" club with a link to comment & rate the recipe (just like the Member's recipes). Then it would go into the master file at the end of the week.

The Recipe of the Week can be a stickie in the recipe section. Then, the link can be posted in the Readers Recipes under its corresponding category. It saves a lot of work moving stuff around and will be a permanent record that would include the "live time" comments in the thread.
Quote:
I worry about accessibility to the info.

You don't have to. If you build it, they will come. If it becomes really popular, I'm sure the webmaster would oblige with a permanent link somewhere.
Quote:
Exposure, member involvement.

Keep it fun and snappy! There are a lot more people here now who really enjoy cooking. Their excitement and participation will be what makes it successful and attractive to others.
Quote:
Maybe even let the members vote on what kind of recipe they'd like to review that week.

Too complicated from an administrative point of view. But, I have some suggestions:

January: Induction
February: Casseroles/Valentine's
March: Soup
April: Spring like food/Easter
May: Warm salads
June: Summer Vegetables
July: Barbecue
August: Barely cooked dinners
September: Easy or Induction recipes
October: One pot meals
November: Hearty Soups/Thanksgiving
December: Recipes to keep you on track. Maybe Christmas cookies?
Quote:
Lastly, people organizing it on a weekly basis.

What about soliciting recipes, then picking one to try for the week. It would be better to have a back-log. All the recipes can be posted to try and for comments, but only one would be chosen for "club" purposes.

I would keep it going all year. When something disappears, people have a tendency to forget about it.

Beware of overmanaging. It will happen organically with just a few people "steering" it. That's the nature of forums!

We used to have a monthly recipe posting as a stickie called "Let's Talk About X!" It was a great idea started by the former Kitchen Mod, Sharon. At that time, we had very few members and it was the same people posting all the time to keep it alive. I don't think that will happen in this case.

Here are the links to some of the months.

Sept. - Let's Talk About Salad Dressings

February: Let's Talk About Soup!

Jan. - Let's Talk About Induction Foods

Nov. - Let's Talk About Holiday Meals

It will be interesting to see what others think!

Karen
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Mar-02-03, 10:58
Forum Founder

BF:
Default PS

If there is a general consensus to have the title of this thread changed, I can do it for you. It may garner some interest!

Karen
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Mar-02-03, 11:28
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Karen:

Wonderful ideas:

Quote:
The Recipe of the Week can be a stickie in the recipe section. Then, the link can be posted in the Readers Recipes under its corresponding category.

That's perfect!

Quote:
January: Induction
February: Casseroles/Valentine's
March: Soup
April: Spring like food/Easter
May: Warm salads
June: Summer Vegetables
July: Barbecue
August: Barely cooked dinners
September: Easy or Induction recipes
October: One pot meals
November: Hearty Soups/Thanksgiving
December: Recipes to keep you on track. Maybe Christmas cookies?

Awesome.

Quote:
What about soliciting recipes, then picking one to try for the week. It would be better to have a back-log. All the recipes can be posted to try and for comments, but only one would be chosen for "club" purposes.

So who would choose the recipe for the Week? Random draw (based on your suggested categories/month)? Not sure how that would be possible though. I'd normally just open up a page in a book, but can't do that either. I'd sure love your input on this one b/c you are the food genius.

Quote:
I would keep it going all year. When something disappears, people have a tendency to forget about it.

OK, with the above list, it should stay alive.

I'm feeling a little pushy about all of this, but I'd really like to see the concept not fizzle out. Largely, it may be my own personal issues as I approach maintenance. I'd kind of like to "root" myself to this forum and this would be a great way to do it.

Thank you so much Karen. Your input is valued. I will check those links you provided.

Wanda
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Mar-02-03, 12:23
Mad Scientist

BF:

Karen, I just thought of something else:

RECIPE MAKEOVER MONTH! What do you think about that?

Wanda
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Mar-02-03, 13:20
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
So who would choose the recipe for the Week? Random draw

Well, if you get a commitee going, they can pick the recipe. To be non-biased, perhaps criteria should be set for choosing a recipe. The one thing it should have is the nutrition count. Then for maximum participation, something that's easy to follow with ingredients that are available in any grocery store.

The monthly categories are only my suggestions. I think there should be input from others on this too.

Quote:
RECIPE MAKEOVER MONTH! What do you think about that?

I think it's a great idea, BUT, there would have to be people who would be willing to work on making over the recipe. There would be some recipes that are just not possible to make a reasonable facsimile out of. Or, it could be HC recipes that people have adapted for LC. Or, it could be one recipe, made over, per month.
Quote:
I'm feeling a little pushy about all of this, but I'd really like to see the concept not fizzle out

Have you recieved feedback from anyone else yet?

Karen
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Mar-02-03, 13:41
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Karen:

Quote:
....there would have to be people who would be willing to work on making over the recipe. There would be some recipes that are just not possible to make a reasonable facsimile out of. Or, it could be HC recipes that people have adapted for LC. Or, it could be one recipe, made over, per month.

Yes, you are right. Never thought of that. That would be a little complex.

Quote:
Have you recieved feedback from anyone else yet?

Nothing so far, but it's the weekend so maybe I'll get some responses tomorrow.

Wanda
  #28   ^
Old Sun, Mar-02-03, 17:07

Sorry I'm late, did i miss anything?

I just got back from an all-night party with about 500 Scouts and their families. Everyone had a great time, but I'm really quite tired now.

I think all the ideas so far are great! I especially like having a) a predictable theme each month, and b) having a small group acting as moderators of sorts helping drive the project and keep enthusiasm high.

A couple of thoughts I was mulling since we've started this: I was thinking about having induction-friendly recipes at least once a month. That way new readers, no matter what time of year, could jump in with a recent recipe and read the commentary about it.

Actually, comments and critique was one of the reasons I was suggesting an entirely new link called "Recipe of the Week" underneath "Low-Carb Kitchen"; by allowing seperate threads for each RoW we could allow readers who come to our forum in the coming months or years to easily follow discussion and refinement of a particular recipe. It would also be the easiest way to make it the most visible; by enabling readers to jump to it from the landing page. Wanda and I, and one or two others, could help keep things lively and on track in there.

This has drifted considerably from the original idea of sharing MasterCook files. I find that the RoW idea fires my imagination a lot more, and I'm willing to dive headlong into this! (As far as the original MC idea goes, I might volunteer to spend the time to transcribe the RoW recipes into a MC file and post it somewhere accessible.)
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Mar-02-03, 23:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 318/243.4/160 Female 5' 8.5"
BF:60%/41.85%/23%
Progress: 47%

I think these are all great ideas. But I'm not sure about having a "committee" to chose the recipe. I think everyone should get a chance to submit one, even a new member. It's kind of corny but I have an idea how to do this. I won't feel bad if you don't like it

meigg submitted the first recipe "wings", right? Next week when it's time to pick a new recipe she could say "Alright people, pick a number between 1 - 100 and the one who comes the closest without going over get's to submit the new recipe to try." Then the following week it will be that persons turn to do the asking. You could still have the guidelines that the recipe submitter would have to follow but this way there wouldn't be anyone in charge or specifically responsible for "keep it going". It would have a life of it's own and everyone could participate. Sort of a lottery kind of thing.

I'm just afraid if you put up too much structure it just might strangle the whole thing.

Well that's my 2 cents

Julie Huck
310/270/160
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 20:15

Default I tried the wing recipe

I made Meigg's wing recipe, as written. I will probably start fiddling with it, because that's just me , but I wanted to taste the original first.

The preparation is easy, which makes this a good recipe for folks who don't enjoy Big Production Numbers. I did have a problem with deep frying my wings, due to poor quality control for the manufacturer. (I got wings ranging in size from city pigeon to drumstick!), so they weren't all cooked at the same rate. I held them warm in the oven but it would have been better if I could have made them in larger batches all at once. (Of course, that would require me to purchase a deep fryer, something that I've been trying hard not to do; it would be a most dangerous appliance to have around! ) I might try baking the wings with a butter baste to see how that works. My experience has been up to now that baked wings tend to be less dry, but do lack that really crisp texture to the outside that deep frying gives them.

The sauce had a very pleasant aroma, which intensified sharply as I tossed the cooked wings. The seasoning and smoke scents were wonderful. The taste was not what I expected, however. The poultry seasoning was by far the dominant flavor, and for me the vinegar and smoke flavors did not emerge enough to really contrast with it. Also, I would make about one-and-a-quarter the amount of sauce for the amount of wing pieces called for; for me the coverage was insufficient for my wings.

I will say that it is a tasty and mild variation on wings, for people who find the in-your-face hot pepper variants to be too much to handle. My kids (who are frightened of my Hot Foom recipe) thought they smelled terrific and want to try them.

In the future, I might vary these by trying one or more of the following:

- baking the wings with a butter baste
- adding some form of pepper or extract sauce to the toss
- substitute a small amount of soy sauce for the liquid smoke, and add a little five-spice for a Chinese flavor.

I don't know what we plan to use for a rating system, but my personal rating is based on the question "Would I fix this again?" In this case, yes I will.