Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-01-03, 16:18

Plan: protein power
Stats: 300/224/210
BF:
Progress: 84%
Default another ? about Ketosis strips

I am doing the PP aggressively for the second time. It is going rather well, 12lbs in about 23 days. I work out hard (treadmil), and I eat 10-30 carbs a day.

I am using ketosis strips this time. I have found when I don't eat much, maybe I miss a meal or have to just have a protien shake, I have the darkest strips. By dark I mean rather dark red/purple readings.

On the other hand, after a large protien/fat meal (little or 0 carbs), I will be reading negative or trace at best for the next 5-6 hours.

If ketosis means I am losing weight, does the above example mean I need to eat less?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-01-03, 16:31
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 255/241/225
BF:40%/31%/26%
Progress: 47%

From what I understand about ketosis strips, you should only use them once per day, and then, try to use them at the same time each day.

If you read trace/negative in the morning after just waking, and then the next day, you read dark/positive at 6:00 after a heavy workout and o carbs for a meal, the readings are not going to accurately compare to one another.

Choose a time of day when you can use a strip at that same time every day and go with the read that you get with that one strip daily.

You're only going to confuse yourself, I think.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-01-03, 17:57
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

If your strips are dark, that only means you're not drinking enough water, not that you're burning any more fat or losing weight any faster. They're kind of like a pregnancy test that way. It doesn't make any difference if it's light or dark: positive is positive.