Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-28-03, 20:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/198/145
BF:
Progress: 18%
Unhappy Leg cramps

Hi Guys,
I am new here and at the end of my first week on Atkins. I have leg cramps - I read the short paragraph in the Atkins books about the supplements - but that doesn't help me right now. Is there anything I can do tonight and will these go away soon? Isn't this just a first week thing or is it the whole induction diet?
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-28-03, 21:44
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi CD,

I'm sorry to hear you've had leg cramps. I had them too at the beginning and they are nothing short of nasty!

During Induction, we tend to lose a lot of extra water, which can lead to deficiencies in electrolytes such as magnesium and
potassium, which can lead to the cramps.

Magnesium is best taken with calcium in a 2cal:1mag ratio. Dosage is 1000:500 unless you are a post menopausal woman, in which case you'll need 1500mg calcium.

You can replace potassium either by taking tablets, or switching to a potassium salt such as Nu Salt or No Salt (just sprinkle on your food, as with normal salt).

The Drs Eades (authors of Protein Power) suggest that early in low carbing an extra 400mg daily is a good idea.
If you take the tablets, they should be taken in divided doses, and with food, as they may otherwise cause stomach irritation.

Are you drinking plenty of water? You should be drinking plenty anyway, but it is especially important while taking potassium.

One more thing: People who are taking tablets for high blood pressure or fluid tablets should not take potassium supplements without first checking with their pharmacist.

HTH!

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-28-03, 21:54

BF:
Default Thanks Rosebud

I will get some supplements and drink extra water. Thanks again.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-01-03, 10:20

Stats: 215/180/155 Female 5'4"
BF:57.2%/45%/25%
Progress: 58%

Hi CD;

I too have leg crams and do take a Potassium pill every morning. I learned this little trick and it really works for me and everyone else I tell.

We all have a pressure point on our middle upper lip. When and if you get a cramp in your leg or toes (which I get a lot) apply pressure to the middle of your top lip either by taking your thumb and forefinger between your upper lip and pinching or simply biting (gently) the upper lip. In most cases it will stop the cramp or charley horse in mid air. Try it...it should work.

Rose
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Mar-01-03, 11:58

Plan: atkins
Stats: 293/208/150
BF:
Progress: 59%
Thumbs down Re: Leg cramps

Quote:
Originally posted by CDwebs
Hi Guys,
I am new here and at the end of my first week on Atkins. I have leg cramps - I read the short paragraph in the Atkins books about the supplements - but that doesn't help me right now. Is there anything I can do tonight and will these go away soon? Isn't this just a first week thing or is it the whole induction diet?
Thanks!

hey i had those too but they went away....
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Mar-16-03, 21:27

BF:
Default supplements worked

cramps are gone - thanks!