Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-03, 23:48
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 256/233/200
BF:
Progress: 41%
Question looking for some inspiration stories, i need help!!

i just started the Atkins diet 3 days ago, the first 2 days were really shaky!! is it gonna get better? i want to lose about 80 pounds!! need some good advice for the intro phase! I went out and bought some advantage bars( the dark choco, is my favorit) and a pack of choco shakes, sometimes for lunch i have a wendy's burger(just the meat and cheese) was wonderinf if anyone had some other recipes or other places they eat at. Kinda getting tired of boiled eggs and chicken and salads, any advice. How can i lose ALL these UNWANTED POUNDS!!!

Last edited by lrmcguire : Fri, Feb-28-03 at 00:17.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-28-03, 00:42

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

Hi lrmcguire,

First of all why on earth did you buy Atkins bars and shakes - you're not supossed to have that sort of thing till after induction! The reason behind induction is partially to break bad eating habits - atkins bars don't do that.

Go out and buy lots of cold meats and salad items and really stick to it.

I've been eating low carb now for over 18 months - lost about 40 lbs (I don't need to lose as much as you) and I feel great. There are many storiesd of people here who have lost 100 lbs or more.

Just stick to it - you can do it.

Robert

PS Why chicken - there are lots of kinds of meat out there - remember you can eat as much fatr as you like so don't let that put you off.)

PPS. Don't be lazy - pack a proper lunch for yourself and give up wendy's burgers.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-28-03, 11:31

Plan: My own--atkins like
Stats: 188/188/135 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Lightbulb You CAN do it!

If you're interested in inspirational stories, might I suggest clicking on "Success Stories" in the orange bar at the top of your screen? You'll find inspiration there!

I agree with RCFletcher's advice.

According to your profile, you have read Atkins' book. I would also advocate re-reading it, particularly the Induction section. Your success will be much slower if you don't follow Induction rules to the letter (like no lc substitutes). It's only 2 weeks (altho many folks stay on induction levels longer).

Since you have started a journal, it may be helpful if you post your food lists so some of the more experienced lc-ers can offer you suggestions on things that might help. Without more specific information it's hard to give you anything but general advice.

You can do this!

hth,
Pokey One
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-28-03, 11:39
The evolution of me

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

I think the best advice I can think of is read some journals and see what we are all eating (some of us have links to fitday so you can still see our menus but plugged in for our calorie information).

There are so many different foods that are lc and SO many great recipes that you are going to really enjoy being satisfied with your food and eating whenever you are hungry and still losing weight and being healthy. The key is to keep trying new things and mix it around so you don't get bored.

After you do some reading... start one of your own and stay a while.

We look forward to getting to know you better.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-28-03, 12:41
Registered Member

BF:
Thumbs up tanks for the advice

thank you guys and girls for all the advice. I didnt know you coundnt have advantage bar in the induction phase thanks for telling me. So, how about pork skins? I am reallyb determined to lose this weight, and i will follow the diet plan to a "T". How much weight do people normally lose in a week or 2 on the induction? also i bought some shrimp and crab legs, plan to boil them and have salads or vet. with them is that ok?
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Feb-28-03, 12:44
The evolution of me

BF:

Here is a reminder of Induction Allowed Foods .

Also, realistic weightloss expectations.

Most people average 10% of the amount of weight they wish to lose during induction and then approx 5% of the remaining weight to lose each month.

So you want to lose 76lbs so you can expect to lose approx 7.6 lbs in the first two weeks....

Last edited by lkonzelman : Fri, Feb-28-03 at 12:45.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Feb-28-03, 18:26
Registered Member

BF:
Smile slowly but surely

Hi, i just weighed myself after being on the atkins deit for 5 days now and to my surprise i have lost 8lbs can u believe it!!seeing the results really make me want to work harder at losing the weight, next week i wll start walking for about 30 min a day then slowly increasing it, Thanks for the support, i hope you will continue, by the way the pork skins are a keeper
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Feb-28-03, 18:35
The evolution of me

BF:

That is great news! Stay positive it works and you get to eat!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Feb-28-03, 18:39
Registered Member

BF:
Thumbs up thanks

thank you very much for ur support, at times when it gets hard im glad to have someone to talk to, who understands
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Feb-28-03, 19:29

Plan: My own--atkins like
Stats: 188/188/135 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Way to Go!!!

8 lbs# Woooohooooo!

3 cheers for you!

Knew you could do it!
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Mar-01-03, 10:52