Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-03, 23:15
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140/136/115
BF:%25
Progress: 16%
Default Questions from a desperate induction...ist?

Hi there

I'm rather new here and I just need... oh I don't know, advice? Comfort? Support? A mind that is saner than my panicky one? I'm on my sixth day of induction and though I know I'm not the first one, I'm feeling rather confused and well, worried right now. *bites nails*

Back to induction. The first 2 days were great, lost like 3 to 4 pounds all in all, and then lo and behold I began to put on weight. First i put on 1 pound, I lost it after nearly exercising to death in the gym. Then today I put on 2 pounds!! I'm about to go insane I swear. I mean I'm trying to do everything the book says, 20 carbs, exercise, lots of water, vitamins... you name it, I've bought/drank/done it!!!

I'm still not over my fear of meat and fat and its like with these 2 pounds all my nightmares are coming true. I mean, I'm not even maintaining the weight, I'm gaining weight!!!! What if despite my best efforts I just keep piling on the pounds and next thing I know I'm 200000000 pounds?

Its just that I'm in the INDUCTION PHASE. This is where the weight is suppose to come off right? Really come off. But it isn't. And the thing is the ketostix says I'm IN ketosis (a lot of it in fact), but I'm gaining weight. Argh. Its just so hard to keep faith right now....

As for my questions I have two...

First, does Atkins slow down your metabolism at all? It shouldn't right? I just need scientific proof or something to tell me that my theory number 1 (I am now gaining weight because my metabolism has slowed down) is wrong.

Second , ehm this is for the ladies, does "that time of the month" have anything to do with it? Atkins says it is harder to register weight loss during that time but does one actually gain weight?

I'm sorry if all this has been asked 2 million times before.

Thanks for your patience and support
--Elliebelly

P.S. I know people usually ask "what are you eating" so here's my journal, just in case.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...&threadid=88402

Last edited by elliebelly : Thu, Feb-27-03 at 23:22.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-03, 23:32

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 415/338.8/170 Female 177cm
BF:unknown
Progress: 31%

Ok don't worry!!!!

yes you will put on weight when you get your period (or TOM as it is referred to around here) ... you body retains fluid over this time and people tend to bloat easier then ... women can gain from 0 - 5kg over night with TOM (5kg = 11 pounds)....

Now the metabolism thing - it should be working on your metabolism speeding it it, but remember you are also working out - building muscle, muscle weighs more than fat so that could explain the increase but it takes up less room - have you done measurements - these might give you a truer look at how you are going than jumping on the scales.... are you taking the vitamins Atkins recommends? they can boost your metabolism as well.....

Also I would suggest kicking the scales under the bed until the 15th Day (1st day after Induction 2 week time) try it then, daily fluctuations can affect our moods and make us happy or depressed depending on what the scales say - do you really want your day to be decided upon before you leave home based on what some numbers say?????

the fear of fat and meat is a natural one, I am an ex anorexic and bulimic I get a feeling of horror each time I eat some cream, or fat from meat and whenever I feel full I have a desire to throw it all up again but I get over it, push that feeling down and eat and enjoy..... and I feel better for it .... it will be a daily battle to overcome years of education telling you fat is bad and carbs are good but it will work eventually....

I hope this helps some, you are doing fine, just fine, Induction is a stressful time but it is worth it (I had my first weigh in today after 12 days on Induction and the results are worth it definately!).....

Fiona
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-03, 23:36
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Great advice there from Fiona!

One more thing I'd like to mention, and that is that you don't have a huge amount to lose. What we normally find here, is that you can expect to lose around 10% of the weight you wish to lose during Induction, followed by around 5 to 10% a month after that.
You've already lost 15% - nice going!

Just try to relax Ellie, you're doing fine. Just keep following the programme and you'll soon see the numbers on those pesky scales dropping!

Cheers.

Rosebud
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-28-03, 05:37

Stats: 272/262/200 Male 6 feet 1 inch
BF:
Progress: 14%

You said that you are in ketosis alot. Do you mean that your strips are testing really dark? If so you are probably not drinking enough water. Not drinking water can make my body hold water. Drinking a butt load of water will also make sure that you are flushing the ketones out of your body.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-28-03, 10:03

Stats: 152/140/130
BF:
Progress: 55%

Hang in there, Elliebelly!

I would suggest dumping the scale and relying on measurements (especially since you're working out). I've been doing Atkins (again) for about 2 weeks now, haven't lost a pound but have lost inches all over my body due to weight training. This means I'm fitting into clothes a size smaller despite no apparent loss of weight. At this point, I weigh only as a curiousity ("Isn't it weird that I'm smaller and still weigh the same???"). I only measure once a week which is probably still too often as things do move slowly if you've not got a lot to lose.

You're doing great sticking with induction and exercising! Just keep to the program and you'll see results.

Last edited by gem75 : Fri, Feb-28-03 at 10:09.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Feb-28-03, 11:07
Registered Member

Stats: 213/165/160 Male 65 inches
BF:32%/16%/9%
Progress: 91%

A word about the Ketostix.

They do measure the ketones on your urine, and ketones are a by-product of fat breakdown. But it does not differentiate between dietary fat and body fat breakdown. As we all know, most low-carb diets are really high-fat diets, so a positive stix is not very conclusive about ketosis.

But if you continue to use them, keep this in mind. As mentioned above, if it reads a high concentration on ketones, you are not drinking enough water. But on the other hand if you see any positive reading at all (even a slight pink), you are passing ketones and could theoreticaly be in ketosis. Never perform the test in the morning because it will almost always read positive. Anyone on any diet can read a positive after 8 hours of fasting (sleeping). Instead, take a reading just before dinner or before bed.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Feb-28-03, 11:20
Registered Member

Stats: 140/136/115
BF:%25
Progress: 16%

Day so far...

I woke up... went to the scale (egads lost 1 pound again, I feel like that guy in the poker game thread)... and then in total confusion went to the internet for some sanity.

All I can say is, thank goodness for this site!!! Its funny how a site is the only thing that stands between me and a trip to the bakeshop to drown out my sorrows in cream puffs (mmmm... I love cream puffs... argh stop :bash.

Okay, the general consensus says "hide the scale for a bit!" so I will try not to get on the spawn of the devil till I at least finish with the TOM (yay, learned a new word, thanks Fiona!)

Gem75 - Thanks a lot for that info that you're not losing weight but inches, your situation sounds a lot like mine come to think of it! Some people have been telling me that muscle weighs 4 times fat does but I've only been weight training for 2 weeks (I started a little before induction) and I don't know if you can gain muscle that quickly. And the scale is a strange thing, sometimes I'd just like so much to say I weigh 115 pounds. I know it doesn't mean anything and its silly... but.... Okay, must make it my new mantra that its the inches that matter!!

Fiona - I take daily multi-vitamins but I'm not sure if I should buy separate supplementary vitamins like potassium, calcium and magnesium (that's what Atkins recommends right)?
Also, you said in my diary I need to take more meat and fat and veggies? Isn't it better if you take less carbs then more though? I do take fiber supplements as well so I think I get enough fiber. I'm a little confused about eating more food/fat also. Atkins says "eat till your full" and "if you eat till your stuffed some of the fat will be converted into glucose and you will gain weight" so I stop when I'm full. But if I eat more than I need when I'm full won't I then gain weight? *scratches head in total confusion*

Dsights - About the water, I drink a TON of water (I think!). I have a small jug of water in my coat pocket which I'm always drinking, I drink like 2 to 3 glasses each meal, I finish and refill my jug about 4 times during the day and at the gym. And I sip sip sip water all day So all in all I drink about 13 glasses of water a day. Do I need to drink more? What is 64 ounces anyway? And yes despite that my ketostix is still purple though I go to the bathroom so much I can never be far from one (a nightmare when you're waiting for the bus!) I test my urine everytime I go to bed and in the morning though after reading the latest post by Kragness1 I will only do it in the evening.

Thanks for all the advice everyone, hopefully I can continue fine tuning my diet and attitude and get this right! And you're right Rosebud, I need to RELAX! I think that as people we tend to want things done like work/school (ie. I want at that at my desk first thing tomorrow morning you hear?) I have to remind myself that my body has its own time (though argh I wish it would go faster!)

--Elliebelly

Last edited by elliebelly : Fri, Feb-28-03 at 11:21.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Feb-28-03, 13:20
Registered Member

Stats: 310/250/160
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default The Atkins Book

I hate to say this, , but the answers to your doubts fears are in the book. If you have not fully read it, I recommend you do. I use it as a handbook, and guide, when I have questions.

You really have to give the plan time to work too. Don't be in a rush. And don't panic. You weren't panicking when you gained the weight, so now that you are on the right track, just be confident in yourself and the plan. And focus on sticking to the plan and on wanting to lose your weight.

Atkins offers you the best possible chance to succeed, but you have to want that success more than you want to taste a creampuff; or anything else. That's how I feel. So do what I do; look in the mirror often, and ask yourself if you are happy with what you see. When you finally are, you probably won't even desire a cream puff

Good Lick!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Feb-28-03, 13:33
Registered Member

Plan: CAD/Atkins
Stats: 265/258/165
BF:
Progress: 7%

I understand the worry thing. I have been doing a CAD/Atkins thing for 1 week now, and I finally saw results this morning. 4 lbs lost! Count 'em! I was so excited, I almost cried!

I know that I will have ups and downs, and I know myself well enough to know that I will constantlyly be battling the urge to fall off the wagon. But, I do know that I also found this awesome forum.

Yes, read the whole book, and remember, you aren't alone. You have a w whole forum of people fighting basically the same battle you are, and they are great for ideas, advice, and sanity.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Feb-28-03, 14:19

Stats: 375/336/165
BF:
Progress: 19%

If you are lifting and working out, your body will also retain some fluid as the muscles are being used in more strenuous and new ways. I personally don't weigh very often because it can make you crazy. Measure instead about once a week or even less. It will give you the reassurance you need! Hang in there!