Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-03, 09:09
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 135/132/120
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default Freezing!!!

Hi All,
I am a little nervous because I would think if I were in ketosis I would actually be hotter than normal b/c my body was burning so much fat, but I am actually freezing all day long. I drink a ton of water, but does anyone else get chilled to bone eating this way??? I am worried it means that I am not in ketosis. The only time I am actually warm is working out or under my down comforter and in flannel pj's at night?? Help!!!
Thanks Jules
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-03, 09:50

Plan: Modified SB...switched from Atkins
Stats: 150/145/125
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default me too

I get chilled alot too...goosebumps breaking out. Me asking the hubby is it cold in here or is it just me? "its just you" he says.

I dont know what causes this....detox? Losing weight and having less fat on our bodies?

Weird thing is I also sweat easier when exercising?

Shrug. No clue.

BB.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-03, 09:53

Stats: 266/197/168 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%

Same thing with me! I'm always wrapped in a blanket at home - if I'm moving I'm fine but once I settle down I freeze - I keep checking the temp and it is always a steady 68 degrees and I'm in sweats and sweatshirt with a blanket.
Funny thing is when I workout I do sweat more but I'm not hot, I always work out in long sleeves and I'm comfortable - go figure!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-03, 10:00

Stats: 227/201/197 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 87%

Hmm, I am the opposite. I've been hot more recently. In fact, when I wake up in the morning the collar on my tshirt is a little moist, so I am perspiring in my sleep now.

There was a previous post about Lypolysis being thermogenic? last week or so, so I know I am not the only one getting hot.

My only consideration here for being colder is, well, the less fat you have around your body, the more susceptible you will be to cold. I added 30 lbs this winter and I rarely needed a jacket at 225-230 lbs. Last winter when I weighed 198-205 I was cold more often and even wore sweaters under my coat.

Hmm...

Tom C
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-03, 10:01

Stats: 000/000/135
BF:
Progress: 0%

Your losing body fat so you don't have much insulation now to keep you warm.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-03, 10:41

Plan: atkins
Stats: 185/168/145 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 43%

Normally I am always freezing however: now I am a little better so I guess it really does depend on your own body's reaction to what is happening internally to it. My husband tells everyone it can be 30 c. and I will have a jacket on-zipped up and a sweater underneath. Too close to being true to laugh about. I do notice that I haven't been as cold lately. Even though it has been 30 below here lately.
Jan
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-03, 11:03

Plan: atkins
Stats: 138/122/120 Female 5.4 1/2 small frame
BF:23%/23%/?
Progress: 89%

I don't know juliebugs... it's a mystery.

I'm running like a furnace, which is great since I hate being cold. The only thing I can think of - are your fat % up there? I keep mine right around 70%.

I wouldn't worry, if your still losing, and everything is going along fine - then don't sweat it... just like those ketone strips - one day they can register trace, a couple hours later moderate - i figure i'm probably in ketosis the whole time.

I too sweat like a pig while working out - but I think it's because of the agua I drink!

viv
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-03, 11:15

Stats: 181/159/130
BF:
Progress: 43%

My feet and hands aren't freezing like it used to be, but I've noticed that I am feeling colder over all. The temp is usually set around 68 in the winter and I was fine with that except for my feet and hands, but now I'm still chilly at 72. I'm definitely in ketosis and my fat % is way up there.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-03, 14:05
Registered Member

Stats: 188.5/180.5/140
BF:
Progress: 16%

I've found, for me, it's drinking all the water that makes me cold. I was the same way on Weight Watchers, so I don't think it has anything to do with the diet, per se. Try a test - drink a bunch of water within an hour or so, then stop - see if you warm up at all (after you've peed a few times )
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-03, 14:48
Registered Member

Stats: 310/250/160
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default Ketosis

Ketosis is unlikely to raise your core body temperature. Muscular contractions control our temperature. Fat can raise that temperature because it insulates. If anything you are going to feel the cold more as your fat diminishes.