Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-23-03, 15:22

Plan: low carb/low sugar
Stats: 152/149/135
BF:?
Progress: 18%
Question Getting no-where, or going slow???

HI!
I've been low-carb about 6 wks. now. I have not lost any more weight than the initial 4-5 lbs. It is very frusterating! I think I eat good. I don't know why I am not loosing. I read that people that have eaten low fat for so many years, can gain weight before loosing. I was on the low fat band wagon for 6 years. I only ate chicken (normally) for my source of protein. Has anyone else had this problem? Does low carb take awhile for your body to adjust? Thanks!-----------Angie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-23-03, 15:54
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/186/160 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 35%

Javaman,

I also had some trouble at first. I am now losing more than before. I have some other complications, like diabetes type 2 and a doctor who loves to prescribe pills.

The thing that I think is helping me the most is drinking at least 100 oz of water a day. I think it helps the fat to be flushed through the system or something like that.

good luck
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-23-03, 16:23
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Angie,

Just hang in there matey, you're doing fine!

It might seem slow to you because you don't have a large amount to lose. What we seem to see is that most people actually lose at the same rate when it comes to percentages. We can expect to lose 10% during Induction, followed by 5 to 10% per month. You've already exceeded that - well done!

Weight loss is also not necessarily constant. Read this link about whooshes for a bit more reassurance.

Rosebud
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-23-03, 17:00
Registered Member

Plan: Mix of Atkins and Neanderthin
Stats: 240/196/175 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Don't get hung up on what the scales read. How do you feel? How well do your clothes fit? I have been LCing for a couple weeks and have lost 6-7 pounds which is good but considering I have 60-70 lbs to lose it is only a small step to where I want to be. I feel unmeasurably better though. I need less sleep, have more energy and my clothes are fitting much more loosely. Plus, I know I have put on muscle. We got a foot of snow dumped on us last night and today I was out for an hour and a half shovelling and hardly felt it (we'll see about tomorrow though ). I just feel so much better above and beyond what the 6-7lbs that I have lost might indicate. So, don't just focus on what the scales read, look for other signs of improvment to your overall health. Remember, your weight is just a number, your health and how you feel is what really matters.